How do I correct Major errors in BDS & Boot Block

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by thterry@insightbb.com, Feb 21, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    I have been tring to correct my mac for sometime. Here is what I have
    done so far.
    First, I am running G4 MDD, Sys Ver 10.3.9 , Proc Power PC Apollo 1
    GHz, Built in mem 1.3 GB, 32 bit addressing yes, Lgical Ram 2 GB, Par1
    drive at 38.3 GB.

    I have tried to correct this problem. I finely decided to backup some
    of my files moving them off my Mac and start over. I reformatted my
    hard drive (HFS+) by erasing & installing the OS9 & OSX. I went to use

    Norton's Disk Doctor and received these errors.

    Major error was found in files listed below the BSD mode for the file
    is incorrect. BSD mode flags help Mac OSx classifying files & folders

    Par1Drive.ect
    Par1Drive.tmp
    Par1Drive.var
    Par1drive:Applications: Utilities: Print Center.app
    (15.1.8)

    Major error was found in the Boot Block
    The signature is incorrect
    (16.1.1)

    Major error was found in the Boot Block
    The signature is incorrect
    (16.1.2)

    Major error was found in the Boot Block
    The event queue size is bad
    (16.1.11)

    Norton's would not fix them even from the disk. I can look at the
    files in UNIX but I'm not sure what I really should be looking at
    with out some type of trouble locating procedures / spec's. Is there
    any type of
    information that I can pull that could walk me thru correcting this
    problem?

    Also when I try to defrag it will not let me because it states that
    some programs are running. I went into monitor and quit some programs.
    What is the minimum program files that should be running in the monitor

    mode?

    thanks, Tom T

    , Feb 21, 2006

  2. Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 13:11:46 -0800, thterry wrote:

    > Subject: How do I correct Major errors in BDS & Boot Block
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Date: 21 Feb 2006 13:11:46 -0800
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been tring to correct my mac for sometime. Here is what I have
    > done so far.
    > First, I am running G4 MDD, Sys Ver 10.3.9 , Proc Power PC Apollo 1
    > GHz, Built in mem 1.3 GB, 32 bit addressing yes, Lgical Ram 2 GB, Par1
    > drive at 38.3 GB.

    Look for a Mac support news group. Most of the dunderheads in this group
    barely know how to switch on their PC

    Meat Plow, Feb 22, 2006