    The same thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to copy my DVD disc for friends.
    I can burn movies from digital cable and off the antenna just fine.
    Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD recorder or do I have a bad cable from my DVD player which is preventing me from recording to DVD?

    Erich J. Schultheis, Jan 2, 2004

  2. Erich J. Schultheis

    Skid Guest

    "Erich J. Schultheis" <> wrote in message
    > I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and tried to burn them

    to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said "Can Not Copy".
    > The same thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to

    copy my DVD disc for friends.
    > I can burn movies from digital cable and off the antenna just fine.
    > Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD recorder or do I have a bad

    cable from my DVD player which is preventing me from recording to DVD?

    Your burner is trying to keep you from breaking the law. What would mommy
    say?

    (P.S., you're not just trolling, you're trying to use the recoder for
    something it's not designed to do. If you want to know why it won't work, do
    a little homework at www.dvdrhelp.com)

    Skid, Jan 2, 2004

  3. Erich J. Schultheis

    Richard C. Guest

    Sounds like everything is working as it should.

    You are a simple pirate......................

    ================
    :

    Richard C., Jan 2, 2004
  4. Erich J. Schultheis

    Gilmour Guest

    Erich J. Schultheis wrote:
    > I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and tried to burn them to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said "Can Not Copy".
    > The same thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to copy my DVD disc for friends.
    > I can burn movies from digital cable and off the antenna just fine.
    > Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD recorder or do I have a bad cable from my DVD player which is preventing me from recording to DVD?

    we think its imnpossible to copy a dvd to a dvd. Maybe one day somebody
    will find a solution for us.

    Gilmour, Jan 2, 2004
  5. "Erich J. Schultheis" <> wrote in

    > I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and tried to burn
    > them to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said "Can Not Copy". The same
    > thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to copy
    > my DVD disc for friends. I can burn movies from digital cable and off
    > the antenna just fine. Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD
    > recorder or do I have a bad cable from my DVD player which is
    > preventing me from recording to DVD?

    You and your friends should forget all the trouble and legally purchase the
    DVD you want. Not only will you get better quality, you will also get the
    packaging and the extras. The price for many DVDs now is chump change,
    compared to the price of VHS in 1970's dollars.

    Parker Jefferson Sneeihl, Jan 2, 2004
  6. "Erich J. Schultheis" <> wrote in message
    > I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and tried to burn them

    to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said "Can Not Copy".
    > The same thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to

    copy my DVD disc for friends.
    > I can burn movies from digital cable and off the antenna just fine.
    > Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD recorder or do I have a bad

    cable from my DVD player which is preventing me from recording to DVD?

    It is most likely macrovision. It's designed so that you can't make ILLEGAL
    copies. Sadly, it also prevents you from making LEGAL backups (luckily the
    ones your trying to do are all ILLEGAL).

    Yeah, there could be some workarounds....might cost $100 and be illegal in
    some countries (sort of like having a so-called "black box" is in the US,
    but it doesn't call for buying a "black box").

    Anonymous Joe, Jan 2, 2004
  7. In article <>,
    says...

    > "Erich J. Schultheis" <> wrote in
    >
    > > I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and tried to burn
    > > them to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said "Can Not Copy". The same
    > > thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to copy
    > > my DVD disc for friends. I can burn movies from digital cable and off
    > > the antenna just fine. Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD
    > > recorder or do I have a bad cable from my DVD player which is
    > > preventing me from recording to DVD?
    > >

    > You and your friends should forget all the trouble and legally purchase the
    > DVD you want. Not only will you get better quality, you will also get the
    > packaging and the extras. The price for many DVDs now is chump change,
    > compared to the price of VHS in 1970's dollars.

    ...And compared to what laserdiscs used to cost.

    I agree, BTW. If you like the movie, and you respect the huge
    effort that went into its creation, just buy a copy. If you don't want
    to pay full price, there are stores that sell used/retired rental DVDs.

    --
    Dr. Anton Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
    (Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)

    Dr. A.T. Squeegee, Jan 2, 2004
  8. Your machine cannot copy commercial DVDs.

    Colon Terminus, Jan 2, 2004
  9. Erich J. Schultheis

    Jerry G. Guest

    It is called a very sophisticated copy protection. This is a good thing,
    because all of this type of piracy is putting people out of work who are in
    the media work force. As the incomes from the sales of their products goes
    down, the production houses are laying off their workers to compensate.

    I am involved in several aspects of media production, and am for strong copy
    protection. For the small cost of a copy, it would be a contribution to buy
    a second copy if needed. These small amounts by the many thousands of
    purchases add up to keep people in their jobs.

    A copy of a commercially produced movie is not considered a backup of user
    files, as like user created work or software. Like bought (purchased)
    software programs, entertainment media should be used on one device at a
    time at one location at a time, unless agreed with between the manufacture
    and the end user.

    If you worked in this industry and had to feed your family, you would feel
    the same way!

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Jerry G., Jan 2, 2004
  10. Erich J. Schultheis

    Robert Nogo Guest

    > I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and tried to burn them

    to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said "Can Not Copy".
    > The same thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to

    copy my DVD disc for friends.
    > I can burn movies from digital cable and off the antenna just fine.
    > Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD recorder or do I have a bad

    cable from my DVD player which is preventing me from recording to DVD?

    Please understand that what you are trying to do is illegal. That's not a
    technical difficulty, that's a copy protection method known as Macrovision.
    It has nothing to do with the resolution of the source, Macrovision is
    present on VHS as well. You are allowed to make recordings off digital cable
    and the antenna for your own personal use, but I don't think it's legal
    either to distribute those recordings to friends. As far as I am concerned,
    I would rather purchase the DVD legally.

    Robert Nogo, Jan 2, 2004
  11. "Erich J. Schultheis" <> wrote in message
    > I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and tried to burn them

    to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said "Can Not Copy".
    > The same thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to

    copy my DVD disc for friends.
    > I can burn movies from digital cable and off the antenna just fine.
    > Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD recorder or do I have a bad

    cable from my DVD player which is preventing me from recording to DVD?

    DVD Decrypt, the use Clone DVD to compress and burn.

    Can not tell the different. But remember its strictly for archiving only.
    Duplicating someone else's DVD;'s is Illegal.

    Paul Landregan, Jan 2, 2004
  12. Erich J. Schultheis

    James Sweet Guest

    > I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and tried to burn them

    to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said "Can Not Copy".
    > The same thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to

    copy my DVD disc for friends.
    > I can burn movies from digital cable and off the antenna just fine.
    > Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD recorder or do I have a bad

    cable from my DVD player which is preventing me from recording to DVD?

    Pressed DVD's are encrypted, this is specifically to prevent you from doing
    what you're attempting. Also their capacity is double what a single layer
    DVD-R is. There's tools out there that would allow you to bypass this but
    it's illegal. If you choose to attempt it you're on your own.

    James Sweet, Jan 2, 2004
  13. Erich J. Schultheis

    James Sweet Guest

    "Parker Jefferson Sneeihl" <> wrote in message
    > "Erich J. Schultheis" <> wrote in
    >
    > > I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and tried to burn
    > > them to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said "Can Not Copy". The same
    > > thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to copy
    > > my DVD disc for friends. I can burn movies from digital cable and off
    > > the antenna just fine. Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD
    > > recorder or do I have a bad cable from my DVD player which is
    > > preventing me from recording to DVD?
    > >

    > You and your friends should forget all the trouble and legally purchase

    the
    > DVD you want. Not only will you get better quality, you will also get the
    > packaging and the extras. The price for many DVDs now is chump change,
    > compared to the price of VHS in 1970's dollars.

    That's definitly true, throughout VHS I bought maybe 5 or 6 movies, they
    were just too expensive and too bulky. Once DVD's started hitting the
    $10-$15 range I started buying movies, for the cost of renting one twice I
    can own it, and they're nice and compact, I probably have 40+ of them now.

    James Sweet, Jan 2, 2004
  14. Erich J. Schultheis

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 07:54:37 -0500, "Erich J. Schultheis"
    <> put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and tried to burn them to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said "Can Not Copy".
    >The same thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to copy my DVD disc for friends.
    >I can burn movies from digital cable and off the antenna just fine.
    >Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD recorder or do I have a bad cable from my DVD player which is preventing me from recording to DVD?

    I agree with the others who decry piracy, but at the same time I'm
    enraged at how the various world governments allow the movie industry
    to openly flout restrictive trade practices legislation by dividing
    the globe into marketing zones with the explicit intention of stifling
    competition and manipulating pricing. We all know this is immoral and
    illegal, and such practices should be prosecuted.

    - Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar, Jan 2, 2004
  15. Erich J. Schultheis

    rstlne Guest

    > It is called a very sophisticated copy protection. This is a good thing,
    > because all of this type of piracy is putting people out of work who are

    in
    > the media work force. As the incomes from the sales of their products

    goes
    > down, the production houses are laying off their workers to compensate.
    >
    > I am involved in several aspects of media production, and am for strong

    copy
    > protection. For the small cost of a copy, it would be a contribution to

    buy
    > a second copy if needed. These small amounts by the many thousands of
    > purchases add up to keep people in their jobs.
    >
    > A copy of a commercially produced movie is not considered a backup of user
    > files, as like user created work or software. Like bought (purchased)
    > software programs, entertainment media should be used on one device at a
    > time at one location at a time, unless agreed with between the manufacture
    > and the end user.
    >
    > If you worked in this industry and had to feed your family, you would

    feel
    > the same way!
    >

    > --
    >
    > Greetings,
    >
    > Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG

    Not sure what post was more of a laugh, his or yours..
    I mean, Just look at the 3 LOTR films
    a MASSIVE 500+ mil usd to make the film and bring it to the market. Now in
    the BOX OFFICE ALONE the total sales is expected to reach 3 BN usd.. now..
    Movie theatres say "We rarely profit from the ticket sales".. So one would
    assume that the majority of the ticket sale goes back to the mfgr.. For you
    we can go low, and say they make 50%.. so that's 1.5bn - .5bn or 1bn profit

    So now they release the DVD's, And games, and soundtracks, and posters, and
    so on and so on and so on ..

    Your telling me that the DVD selling for 26$-28$ is priced so high because
    it has to feed the people that made it? ..
    Lets not forget that they have got their payment JUST from sales.. When this
    film makes 30bn and gives it's 300mil to the RIAA to stop people who want to
    make their own DVD for 3$ then I guess you can feel happy that your able to
    buy your food..

    Granted I think what the guy wants to do is wrong, but He wants to do it
    because the media industry is just SO SO SO SO greedy..
    I would bet that (riaa fees and sales company markup aside).. that the cost
    of that 10$ DVD (box & cover design & production of the case & dvd itself)
    is around 70c

    Just saying that your post is as silly as his

    rstlne, Jan 2, 2004
  16. Erich J. Schultheis

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 10:16:56 -0800, "Robert Nogo" <>
    Gave us:

    >"Erich J. Schultheis" <> wrote in message
    >> I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and tried to burn them

    >to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said "Can Not Copy".
    >> The same thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to

    >copy my DVD disc for friends.
    >> I can burn movies from digital cable and off the antenna just fine.
    >> Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD recorder or do I have a bad

    >cable from my DVD player which is preventing me from recording to DVD?
    >>

    >Please understand that what you are trying to do is illegal. That's not a
    >technical difficulty, that's a copy protection method known as Macrovision.
    >It has nothing to do with the resolution of the source, Macrovision is
    >present on VHS as well. You are allowed to make recordings off digital cable
    >and the antenna for your own personal use, but I don't think it's legal
    >either to distribute those recordings to friends. As far as I am concerned,
    >I would rather purchase the DVD legally.

    Exactly.

    DarkMatter, Jan 2, 2004
  17. Erich J. Schultheis

    Justin Guest

    rstlne wrote on [Fri, 2 Jan 2004 19:39:25 -0000]:

    > Not sure what post was more of a laugh, his or yours..
    > I mean, Just look at the 3 LOTR films
    > a MASSIVE 500+ mil usd to make the film and bring it to the market. Now in
    > the BOX OFFICE ALONE the total sales is expected to reach 3 BN usd.. now..
    > Movie theatres say "We rarely profit from the ticket sales".. So one would
    > assume that the majority of the ticket sale goes back to the mfgr.. For you
    > we can go low, and say they make 50%.. so that's 1.5bn - .5bn or 1bn profit

    Yes, one group of films out of many that don't break even in the
    theatre, and barely come close in the retail channel. Waterworld
    recently just made it's money back. This is money back, before profit.

    Or should studios only release profitable films?

    > So now they release the DVD's, And games, and soundtracks, and posters, and
    > so on and so on and so on ..
    >
    > Your telling me that the DVD selling for 26$-28$ is priced so high because
    > it has to feed the people that made it? ..
    > Lets not forget that they have got their payment JUST from sales.. When this
    > film makes 30bn and gives it's 300mil to the RIAA to stop people who want to
    > make their own DVD for 3$ then I guess you can feel happy that your able to
    > buy your food..

    The RIAA? That's music

    > Granted I think what the guy wants to do is wrong, but He wants to do it
    > because the media industry is just SO SO SO SO greedy..
    > I would bet that (riaa fees and sales company markup aside).. that the cost
    > of that 10$ DVD (box & cover design & production of the case & dvd itself)
    > is around 70c

    And shipping, marketing, etc.

    Justin, Jan 2, 2004
  18. Erich J. Schultheis

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 19:05:01 -0000, "Paul Landregan"
    <> Gave us:

    >"Erich J. Schultheis" <> wrote in message
    >> I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and tried to burn them

    >to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said "Can Not Copy".
    >> The same thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to

    >copy my DVD disc for friends.
    >> I can burn movies from digital cable and off the antenna just fine.
    >> Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD recorder or do I have a bad

    >cable from my DVD player which is preventing me from recording to DVD?
    >>

    >DVD Decrypt, the use Clone DVD to compress and burn.
    >
    >Can not tell the different. But remember its strictly for archiving only.
    >Duplicating someone else's DVD;'s is Illegal.

    Also... Wrong group!

    DarkMatter, Jan 2, 2004
  19. Erich J. Schultheis

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 06:17:54 +1100, Franc Zabkar
    <> Gave us:

    >I agree with the others who decry piracy, but at the same time I'm
    >enraged at how the various world governments allow the movie industry
    >to openly flout restrictive trade practices legislation by dividing
    >the globe into marketing zones with the explicit intention of stifling
    >competition and manipulating pricing. We all know this is immoral and
    >illegal, and such practices should be prosecuted.
    >

    >- Franc Zabkar

    You're an idiot. The hierarchy was based on the way movies trickled
    into the rest of the world, back in the day. That evolves, surely.
    Now, it is just business, and economy in a given region.

    It is their product, and it is their right to "price it" at whatever
    they want in whatever market they are selling it in.

    You do know what a free market is, don't you?

    DarkMatter, Jan 2, 2004
  20. Erich J. Schultheis

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 19:39:25 -0000, "rstlne" <.@.> Gave us:

    >Your telling me that the DVD selling for 26$-28$ is priced so high because
    >it has to feed the people that made it? ..

    What is so high?

    I paid $70 for a Star Wars releases on Laser Disc upon fresh
    release. Back when $70 was a lot more than it is today.

    A hell of a lot more than a $22 disc on the shelf with an MSRP of
    $26 to $28. Even if it was the full $28, it ain't shit.

    When I was a kid ten packs of baseball cards was a dollar.

    Now, one pack is $2.50, and I ain't sure there's even ten cards in
    there.

    These folks today that piss and moan about the economy have no clue.
    That disc was bought when min wage was $3.00 an hour.

    Goddamned pirate retards.

    DarkMatter, Jan 2, 2004