How do I copy an audio cassette?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by URAQT2, Apr 23, 2004.

  1. URAQT2

    URAQT2 Guest

    I am sorry for posting this a second time. I thought perhaps since
    someone did give me a response others might not have read about my
    problem. I know there has to be a simple solution.

    I need to record some audio books cassette tape to CDs using my
    computer. I need to be able to then play them in either of our vehicles
    CD players.

    I have my boombox connected to my computer and have recorded one side of
    an audio cassette to my computer using Nero Wave Editor. When I tell it
    to save the file it takes twenty minutes or more to do so. Then it saves
    it as a vaf file and as a wpk file.

    I tried burning it to a CD using Nero - Burning Room. The problem is
    that the recording is 85 minutes real time and the capacity of my blank
    CDRs is only 80 minutes. After cutting the excess five minutes and
    saving the file again when I burned it there is only the first ten
    minutes on the CD even though it shows it as being full.

    I am sure there are better ways to do this without spending money that I
    don't have. (I'm retired and money is tight) I know that I must record
    the cassettes on to the computer in actual time, and I am fine with
    that. So far as I can tell, Nero Wave Editor will not convert them to
    MP3 files or WAV files.

    Real Player and Windows Media Player do not recognize vaf or wpk files
    and will not play them.

    Any suggestions you may have about freeware programs or something that
    is already built into WinXP Home Edition will be appreciated. I am on a
    P4 1.0g with over 1g of memory and a 120g HD.
    --
    Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    URAQT2, Apr 23, 2004

  2. URAQT2

    Unk Guest

    Connect the cassette player to the line-in on the sound card and use Alive
    Recorder v1.0.3.8 http://www.alivemedia.net/mp3recorder.htm
    It has a 30 day free trial, so you should be able to copy quite a few.

    Unk, Apr 23, 2004

  3. URAQT2

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Unk,

    I think his real problem is getting this onto CD to use in his car. His Nero
    isn't doing what he wants it to. Any suggestions?

    Tim

    Toolman Tim, Apr 23, 2004
  4. URAQT2

    Unk Guest

    Yes, I use the Alive Recorder I mentioned.
    http://www.alivemedia.net/mp3recorder.htm
    It creates great mp3 files which you can then use to burn a music CD.
    I have a bunch of oldies on 8 track that I converted to CD using the
    program. The only limitation is the 80 minutes of the CD. My burner supports
    overburn and I can get about 85 minutes.
    Nero should be able to create music CD's as well.
    Another possibility is that a lot of new car and home CD players now
    recognize MP3's. You can cram 800 meg on a CD in that case.

    Unk, Apr 23, 2004
  5. URAQT2

    Ionizer Guest

    "URAQT2" <> wrote in message
    > I am sorry for posting this a second time. I thought perhaps since
    > someone did give me a response others might not have read about my
    > problem. I know there has to be a simple solution.

    > I need to record some audio books cassette tape to CDs using my
    > computer. I need to be able to then play them in either of our vehicles
    > CD players.

    <snip>

    I wasn't even aware that Nero Wave Editor could be used for ripping from
    cassette, but I haven't used it for much of anything to be honest.

    I have successfully ripped material from cassette and from vinyl, and it
    sounds like you may just be using the wrong tool for the job. I use the
    freeware version of MusicMatch Jukebox for this purpose, as described here:
    http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/news/1316/ MusicMatch can be set to encode to
    mp3 format on-the-fly, which will give you an 85-minute recording in your
    case.

    You can then use this freeware tool to cut that mp3 file into segments:
    http://www.rz.uni-frankfurt.de/~pesch/#mp3dc

    Then, use Nero Burning Rom to create an "AUDIO" CD from those mp3 files.
    The result will be a CD which will play in your home or car CD player.

    More info about ripping from vinyl and cassette, including other software
    recommendations, provided by an alt.music.mp3 newsgroup regular:
    http://www.shareup.com/dadioh/

    Good luck, and let us know when you have success.

    --
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Apr 23, 2004
  6. URAQT2

    URAQT2 Guest

    Thanks Unk. Just finished downloading it. Should have time this evening
    to install it and start going through my tapes. I just knew that someone
    would come up with a good answer.
    --
    Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    URAQT2, Apr 23, 2004
  7. URAQT2

    URAQT2 Guest

    Since the main ones that I want to put on CD are books on tape there are
    no separate tracks. I would like to put both sides of a tape on one CD.
    Problem is that totals 85 minutes and the current CD-R's that I have
    won't hold more than 80 minutes. I either have to try to find some that
    will hold more time or edit five minutes out of the total time.

    Even copying just one side (42 minutes) to a CD-R using Nero Burning
    Room it says it failed in the end.

    Music cassettes would be allot easier because there would be separate
    tracks I could put just enough on the CD to fill it.

    --
    Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    URAQT2, Apr 23, 2004
  8. URAQT2

    URAQT2 Guest

    Unk, how do you get it to overburn?
    I'm using a liteon 32x12x40x CD burner.

    --
    Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    URAQT2, Apr 23, 2004
  9. URAQT2

    slumpy Guest

    ....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel URAQT2 decided
    it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

    > Then it saves it as a vaf file and as a wpk file.

    Save it as something else then.

    ..wav, .mp3, ????
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Apr 23, 2004
  10. URAQT2

    URAQT2 Guest

    slumpy wrote:

    > ...and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel URAQT2 decided
    > it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:
    >

    >> Then it saves it as a vaf file and as a wpk file.

    > Save it as something else then.
    >
    > .wav, .mp3, ????

    It does not give me a choice. When I go to "File" and then "Save As" I
    am not give a choice as I am in most programs I am familiar with. Did
    you really think I would not have looked? Duh.

    --
    Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    URAQT2, Apr 23, 2004
  11. URAQT2

    slumpy Guest

    ....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel URAQT2 decided
    it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

    > slumpy wrote:
    >
    >> ...and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel URAQT2
    >> decided it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:
    >>

    >>> Then it saves it as a vaf file and as a wpk file.

    >> Save it as something else then.
    >>
    >> .wav, .mp3, ????

    > It does not give me a choice. When I go to "File" and then "Save As" I
    > am not give a choice as I am in most programs I am familiar with. Did
    > you really think I would not have looked? Duh.

    You'd be surprised the things that people /don't/ do.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Apr 23, 2004
  12. URAQT2

    ProfGene Guest

    You can get lots of free programs that will convert wave to mp3 and if you
    don't have a program that can save your audio files as waves there are
    shareware programs that will do so like Cooledit and Goldwave as well as
    many others. You can convert the waes to mp3 with programs like
    mp3compressor. Once you have them in the mp3 format you can put them all
    on a cd and buy an mp3 player with a connection to the cigarette lighter for
    power and if your vehicle has a casette player you can get an adapter and
    that will run the sound through the vehicles soundsystem. That way you can
    probably have all the sound on one cd if you burn a data cd which will play
    on an mp3 player. You can get mp3 players that will play 11 or 12 hours of
    sound form one cd. If you want to stick to cds you can use the wave editing
    programs to save them to the appropriate lengths for no more than 80 minutes
    and do it that way. Nero and any other burner can burn waves to audio cd
    format.

    ProfGene, Apr 23, 2004
  13. URAQT2

    URAQT2 Guest

    Sorry Unk. Alive Recorder v1.0.3.8 only has a 20 day free trial period
    and it will only allow me to record one minute per file. I thought
    perhaps I could register the Evaluation copy. Nope. Have buy it to
    register it.

    Well, at least we tried.
    --
    Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    URAQT2, Apr 23, 2004
  14. URAQT2

    URAQT2 Guest

    Ionizer wrote:
    > "URAQT2" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I am sorry for posting this a second time. I thought perhaps since
    >>someone did give me a response others might not have read about my
    >>problem. I know there has to be a simple solution.

    >>I need to record some audio books cassette tape to CDs using my
    >>computer. I need to be able to then play them in either of our vehicles
    >>CD players.

    > <snip>
    >
    > I wasn't even aware that Nero Wave Editor could be used for ripping from
    > cassette, but I haven't used it for much of anything to be honest.
    >
    > I have successfully ripped material from cassette and from vinyl, and it
    > sounds like you may just be using the wrong tool for the job. I use the
    > freeware version of MusicMatch Jukebox for this purpose, as described here:
    > http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/news/1316/ MusicMatch can be set to encode to
    > mp3 format on-the-fly, which will give you an 85-minute recording in your
    > case.

    Well, I downloaded and installed MusicMatch. Then I went to Options -
    Recorder - Source and clicked on Line In. Guess what? You have buy
    MusicMatch Plus for $19.99 to use that option.

    I do like the looks of the program. I guess I will just have to bust
    loose and spend a little money.
    --
    Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    URAQT2, Apr 23, 2004
  15. URAQT2

    Unk Guest

    Sorry about that. I purchased it so I never ran into the record time limit.
    :(

    Unk, Apr 23, 2004
  16. URAQT2

    Unk Guest

    I use NTI CD & DVD-Maker Platinum for burning. It has overburn as one of
    it's options.

    Unk, Apr 23, 2004
  17. URAQT2

    trout Guest

    URAQT2 wrote:

    > Sorry Unk. Alive Recorder v1.0.3.8 only has a 20 day free trial period
    > and it will only allow me to record one minute per file. I thought
    > perhaps I could register the Evaluation copy. Nope. Have buy it to
    > register it.
    >
    > Well, at least we tried.

    Have a look at Audacity:
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

    It should do what you want; and it *is* totally free.

    trout, Apr 23, 2004
  18. URAQT2

    URAQT2 Guest

    Re: How do I copy an audio cassette? - It works!

    trout wrote:

    > Have a look at Audacity:
    > http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > It should do what you want; and it *is* totally free.

    Thank you all for the advise.
    Trout's suggested program works very well.
    --
    Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    URAQT2, Apr 24, 2004
  19. URAQT2

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Unk" <> wrote in message
    > Yes, I use the Alive Recorder I mentioned.
    > http://www.alivemedia.net/mp3recorder.htm
    > It creates great mp3 files which you can then use to burn a music CD.
    > I have a bunch of oldies on 8 track that I converted to CD using the
    > program. The only limitation is the 80 minutes of the CD. My burner

    supports
    > overburn and I can get about 85 minutes.
    > Nero should be able to create music CD's as well.
    > Another possibility is that a lot of new car and home CD players now
    > recognize MP3's. You can cram 800 meg on a CD in that case.

    Yeah - I did that too! My DVD player does MP3, my car stereo does MP3, my
    walkman does MP3...love it! I get 7 hours (or more!) of music on each CD and
    don't have to carry stacks of discs around everywhere.

    Toolman Tim, Apr 24, 2004
  20. URAQT2

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 16:45:07 GMT, URAQT2 <> wrote:

    >Since the main ones that I want to put on CD are books on tape there are
    >no separate tracks. I would like to put both sides of a tape on one CD.
    >Problem is that totals 85 minutes and the current CD-R's that I have
    >won't hold more than 80 minutes. I either have to try to find some that
    >will hold more time or edit five minutes out of the total time.
    >
    >Even copying just one side (42 minutes) to a CD-R using Nero Burning
    >Room it says it failed in the end.
    >
    >Music cassettes would be allot easier because there would be separate
    >tracks I could put just enough on the CD to fill it.

    You could just allot the tracks as required.

    >--
    >Chuck

    -Barry
    ========