    Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks
    Lovlesh
    Lovy, May 7, 2007

  2. Lovy

    ASAAR Guest

    On 6 May 2007 16:11:51 -0700, Lovy wrote:

    > I just got a new digital frame and it is a widescreen photo frame
    > (16:9 aspect ratio). All of the pictures that I have are the regular
    > (4:3?) format. I want to know if there is a way to convert my pictures
    > to a 16:9 format without making them look stretched... ??
    >
    > Freeware would be ideal... or if the s/w is cheap, I can possibly
    > buy...

    Most photo editors should be able to do this, but it's
    particularly easy using Irfanview. It's freeware so the only cost
    is your download time, and it's small enough to be easily downloaded
    even if you don't have a fast internet connection. It also is an
    excellent photo viewer.

    There's no way to convert your pictures to 16:9 without "cropping"
    them if you don't want them to be stretched. You'd crop them by
    trimming a bit from the top or bottom of the image. The usual
    method would be to position a 16:9 frame over the image, and when
    you crop it, only what's inside the frame is retained. This is
    exactly the same thing that you'd do if you had a 16:9 picture
    frame, where you'd make a print larger than the frame and then crop
    (trim) the print with scissors or a trimmer so that it fits the
    picture frame's dimensions.

    http://www.irfanview.com
    ASAAR, May 7, 2007

  3. Lovy

    ray Guest

    On Sun, 06 May 2007 16:11:51 -0700, Lovy wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I just got a new digital frame and it is a widescreen photo frame
    > (16:9 aspect ratio). All of the pictures that I have are the regular
    > (4:3?) format. I want to know if there is a way to convert my pictures
    > to a 16:9 format without making them look stretched... ??
    >
    > Freeware would be ideal... or if the s/w is cheap, I can possibly
    > buy...
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated!
    > Thanks
    > Lovlesh

    crop. You can't add what isn't there.
    ray, May 7, 2007
  4. Lovy

    Jim Guest

    "Lovy" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just got a new digital frame and it is a widescreen photo frame
    > (16:9 aspect ratio). All of the pictures that I have are the regular
    > (4:3?) format. I want to know if there is a way to convert my pictures
    > to a 16:9 format without making them look stretched... ??
    >
    > Freeware would be ideal... or if the s/w is cheap, I can possibly
    > buy...
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated!
    > Thanks
    > Lovlesh

    Yes, there is a way alright. Almost any photo editor can do the job.

    First of all, you resize the image to make it wide enough to fit a 16:9
    frame.
    Next, you crop the image to make it low enough to fit a 16:9 frame.
    Finally, you save the resulting image to disk.

    Jim
    Jim, May 7, 2007
  5. On Sun, 06 May 2007 20:02:09 -0400, in rec.photo.digital ASAAR
    <> wrote:

    > There's no way to convert your pictures to 16:9 without "cropping"
    >them if you don't want them to be stretched.

    snip...snip
    > http://www.irfanview.com

    Sure there is. You can add pixels to the long side by changing the canvas
    size. And Irfanview will allow you do this as well.

    --
    Ed Ruf ()
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), May 7, 2007
  6. Lovy

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 07 May 2007 18:39:04 -0400, Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN
    SIG!) wrote:

    >> There's no way to convert your pictures to 16:9 without "cropping"
    >> them if you don't want them to be stretched.

    > snip...snip
    >> http://www.irfanview.com

    > Sure there is. You can add pixels to the long side by changing the canvas
    > size. And Irfanview will allow you do this as well.

    Good point. I was talking about cropping part of the image taken
    by a sensor that doesn't have a 16:9 aspect ratio in order to fill
    the digital frame with only the picture's image. What you're
    suggesting is also a possible solution, but that depends on whether
    the OP doesn't mind seeing the complete image reduced in size, with
    possibly excessive side borders, being in effect, the inverse of
    movie letterboxing. The OP may also want to determine whether to
    crop or letterbox depending on the contents of individual picture.
    ASAAR, May 8, 2007
  7. Lovy

    Lovy Guest

    On May 7, 6:39 pm, "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)"
    <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 06 May 2007 20:02:09 -0400, in rec.photo.digital ASAAR
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > > There's no way to convert your pictures to 16:9 without "cropping"
    > >them if you don't want them to be stretched.

    > snip...snip
    > >http://www.irfanview.com

    > Sure there is. You can add pixels to the long side by changing the canvas
    > size. And Irfanview will allow you do this as well.
    >
    > --
    > Ed Ruf ()http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index.html

    Thanks Ed, I will try to resize the canvas using Irfanview...
    Lovlesh
    Lovy, May 8, 2007
  8. Lovy

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 8 May 2007 06:13:38 -0700, in rec.photo.digital Lovy
    <> wrote:

    >On May 7, 6:39 pm, "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> Sure there is. You can add pixels to the long side by changing the canvas
    >> size. And Irfanview will allow you do this as well.

    >Thanks Ed, I will try to resize the canvas using Irfanview...

    Just to be clear, this isn't resizing the image but changing the
    canvas size using Image => Canvas size. Take your native image
    height in pixels and multiply by 16/9 or 1.78. This is how many pixels
    you need the width of your image to be. Subtract the native image
    width in pixels from this number and divide by 2. That's how many
    pixels to the left and right of th image if you want it centered.
    -
    Ed Ruf ()
    Ed Ruf, May 8, 2007