How do I convert my second Router into an Access Point

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rolf Schreiner, Feb 11, 2014.

  1. Hi everyone, February 11, 2014

    I would like to use my Sitecom router as an access point. Is this the way to do it?

    I am using Windows 7 Ultimate and I have a Ubee UVW-3200 cable Modem/Router.. On port 1, I connect a second Sitecom Wi-Wi Router AC1750 WLR-8100 connected to its WAN port.

    I would like my Sitecom Router to become an Access Point with the same (2.4GHz) SSID as the Ubee Modem/Router, so that I can "roam" throughout the house without losing signal. The 5.0 GHz Wi-Fi of the Sitecom AP should still be useable when within reach.

    Current configuration settings (Sitecom as Router):
    Ubee Router Sitecom Router

    LAN IP adres: 192.168.178.1 192.168.10.1
    DHCP Server: Enabled Enabled
    Ipv4 address: 192.168.178.10 192.168.178.10
    DHCP Status: No DHCP clients Show all clients
    2.4 GHz Radio: Disabled Enabled
    5.0 GHz Radio: N/A Enabled
    2.4 GHz - SSID: Ziggo5C5CC Sitecom0F7FF1
    2.4 GHz channel: Disabled Automatic
    5.0 GHz channel: N/A Automatic
    2.4 GHz security: WPA+PSK WPA+PSK
    2.4 GHz password Ubee's own PW Sitecom's own PW
    5.0 GHz - SSID: N/A Sitecom0F7FF2
    5.0 GHz security: N/A WPA+PSK
    5.0 GHz password: N/A Sitecom's own PW
    Network connection: LAN Port 1 WAN Port

    Proposed configuration settings (Sitecom as Access Point):
    Ubee Router Sitecom Access Point

    LAN IP address: 192.168.178.1 192.168.178.2
    DHCP Server: Enabled Disabled
    Ipv4 address: 192.168.178.10 N/A
    DHCP Status: Show all clients N/A
    2.4 GHz Radio: Enabled Enabled
    5.0 GHz Radio: N/A Enabled
    2.4 GHz - SSID: Ziggo5C5CC Ziggo5C5CC
    2.4 GHz channel: 1, 6, 11, or Auto 1, 6, 11, or Auto
    5.0 GHz channel: N/A Automatic
    2.4 GHz security: WPA+PSK WPA+PSK
    2.4 GHz - password: Ubee's own PW Ubee's own PW
    5.0 GHz SSID: N/A Sitecom0F7FF2
    5.0 GHz security: N/A WPA+PSK
    5.0 GHz password N/A Sitecom's own PW
    Network connection: LAN Port 1 LAN Port 1

    Questions:
    1. Will this configuration work as intended?
    2. Can I have the same 2.4 GHz SSID (Ziggo5C5CC) on my Ubee Router and my Sitecom AP?
    3. Will I still have cabled internet on my Sitecom AP?
    4. Will I still have Wi-Fi internet on 2.4GHz and 5.0 GHz of my Sitecom AP?
    5. With its DHCP disabled, can I still acces the Sitecom AP configuration page through my PC browser when using the Windows 7 TCP/IPv4 configuration of "obtaining an IP address automatically", or do I have to use the Windows 7 PC TCP/Ipv4 configuration of "use the following IP address:", and enter the new Sitecom LAN IP address of: 192.168.178.2?

    If I do not do things right, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Many Thanks,

    Rolf Schreiner
    Rolf Schreiner, Feb 11, 2014