    available and which to use?

    David

    , Jul 7, 2007

  2. Barb Bowman Guest

    you need to log in to the router and setup a unique SSID and
    WPA/WPA2 security for the router. post details on brand and model of
    wireless router for more help.

    once the router is setup, then you should be able to configure the
    network and connect to it.

    are you using Windows XP?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jul 7, 2007

  3. Guest

    Hi Barb

    > you need to log in to the router and setup a unique SSID and
    > WPA/WPA2 security for the router. post details on brand and model of
    > wireless router for more help.
    > once the router is setup, then you should be able to configure the
    > network and connect to it.

    I have done all this and the laptop sees the wireless connection in
    the wireless control panel.

    > are you using Windows XP?

    Yes, XP SP2. My problem is how to persuade IE to use the connection.

    David

    , Jul 7, 2007
  4. Barb Bowman Guest

    disconnect the wired ethernet and reboot. can you surf with IE or
    not?

    if not:

    start
    run
    cmd [enter]

    ipconfig /release [enter]
    ipconfig /renew [enter]

    can you surf now?

    if not:

    ipconfig /all [enter]

    copy all the text to the clipboard so you can paste it in here as a
    reply.

    also, did you change the SSID from what it was by default to
    something unique so that you are sure you are connecting to your own
    wireless router? are there other wireless networks in range? are you
    using Windows to manage the wireless connection or some proprietary
    vendor utility?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jul 7, 2007
  5. Guest

    Hi Barb

    > disconnect the wired ethernet and reboot. can you surf with IE or
    > not?

    No

    > if not:
    >
    > start
    > run
    > cmd [enter]
    >
    > ipconfig /release [enter]
    > ipconfig /renew [enter]
    >
    > can you surf now?

    No.
    The output of ipconfig /renew states:

    "An error occured while renewing interface Wireless Network
    Connection: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed
    out."

    I guess this is the big clue.

    > also, did you change the SSID from what it was by default to
    > something unique so that you are sure you are connecting to your own
    > wireless router?

    Yes I did change it and I'm as sure as I can be that I am connected to
    my router.

    >are there other wireless networks in range?

    Yes, I see other networks but haven't chosen to connect to them. They
    are all encrypted.

    > using Windows to manage the wireless connection or some proprietary
    > vendor utility?

    Pure Windows.

    Diagnostics on the connection all pass.

    Where shall I go from here please?

    Thanks

    David

    , Jul 7, 2007
  6. Barb Bowman Guest

    what router are you using? can you do a factory reset on the router
    and see if you connect with no security (briefly). if yes, please
    use a wired computer and configure security and a unique SSID name.
    Use WPA.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jul 7, 2007
  7. Hi

    If both connections are really working, you can control the usage priority
    like this,
    http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
    However it seems that your Wireless connection is not working well.
    It might be one of many "little" settings.
    The following pages might help to find out this "little" setting.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 7, 2007
  8. Guest

    Hi Barb and Jack

    Thanks for your help - I really am very grateful.

    So some new info: I disabled encryption and the wireless connection
    then worked fine, I got an IP address and surfed with IE, with the
    Ethernet connection disconnected. So we can now blame my encryption
    settings, I think.

    My modem is a Huawei HG520S. Supported authentication types are:

    WEP-64bits
    WEP-128bits
    WPA-PSK
    WPA2-PSK

    Are the last two the same as WPA AES and WPA-TKIP shown on the MVP
    site? Which should I use for maximum security?

    What I had done was to chose WEP-128bits and entered key#1, leaving
    key#2-3 blank. Was that wrong?

    Thanks again

    David

    , Jul 7, 2007
  9. Hi
    Yeah, for functional purposes, WPA2 is WPA-AES, and WPA-PSK is WPA TKIP.
    However WEP is currently considered unsafe (it takes relatively short time
    to Brake the code).
    If your components support WPA it is better to use WPA.
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    MAC
    WEP
    WPA-PSK
    WPA-AES
    WPA2
    Computers Card) should state the type of security that is available with
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 7, 2007
  10. Barb Bowman Guest

    you only have the one wireless computer, correct? if the wireless
    card you are using supports WPA2, that is the best security. WPA is
    also ok. If your wireless card only supports WEP, I'd replace it as
    WEP is not going to protect you.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jul 7, 2007
  11. Jim Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi Barb and Jack
    >
    > Thanks for your help - I really am very grateful.
    >
    > So some new info: I disabled encryption and the wireless connection
    > then worked fine, I got an IP address and surfed with IE, with the
    > Ethernet connection disconnected. So we can now blame my encryption
    > settings, I think.
    >
    > My modem is a Huawei HG520S. Supported authentication types are:
    >
    > WEP-64bits
    > WEP-128bits
    > WPA-PSK
    > WPA2-PSK
    >
    > Are the last two the same as WPA AES and WPA-TKIP shown on the MVP
    > site? Which should I use for maximum security?
    >
    > What I had done was to chose WEP-128bits and entered key#1, leaving
    > key#2-3 blank. Was that wrong?
    >
    > Thanks again
    >
    > David

    No, your experience points to a mismatch between the key in the router and
    the key that you entered.
    It can be quite tedious to get the key correctly.
    Your other mistake was in not using WPA (but you still must get the keys to
    match).
    Jim

    Jim, Jul 8, 2007
  12. Guest

    Hi

    > No, your experience points to a mismatch between the key in the router and
    > the key that you entered.
    > It can be quite tedious to get the key correctly.
    > Your other mistake was in not using WPA (but you still must get the keys to
    > match).

    I am now using WPA2 and I specified a short (8 character) phrase. I
    very carefully typed it into the router and laptop but still no joy.

    Any other suggestions please?

    David

    , Jul 8, 2007
  13. Barb Bowman Guest

    are you using the latest firmware for your wireless router?
    if yes, do you still have a valid IP address?
    if the address is 169.254.xxx.xxx or not a valid IP address, have
    you tried http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/928233/en-us
    ?

    --

    Barb Bowman