    Well the easy answer is to stop the service/daemon that is listening on that
    port, but you provided no information that would help describe the steps you
    should take.

    Help us help you by giving us some details on your configuration. Let's
    start with: what operating system are you using?

    Bit Tamer

    Bit Tamer, Aug 1, 2004

  2. Bit Tamer

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 19:49:48 -0700, Stephen <>
    wrote:

    >I've just checked my internet security with Shields Up at Gibson
    >Research and was disturbed to discover Port 23 (Telnet) is wide open
    >even though I've got Zone Alarm 3 pro running at maximum security
    >settings. How do I close Port 23?

    How do you connect to the internet ?

    If you are on cable or dsl its likely that Shields Up is talking
    to your modem / router, rather than to your PC :)

    But you still may want to close the port.
    If you don't care about remote control and automatic firmware
    updates by your provider, that is :)

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok

    Gerard Bok, Aug 1, 2004

  3. Bit Tamer

    Mimic Guest

    Stephen wrote:

    > I've just checked my internet security with Shields Up at Gibson
    > Research and was disturbed to discover Port 23 (Telnet) is wide open
    > even though I've got Zone Alarm 3 pro running at maximum security
    > settings. How do I close Port 23?
    > Stephen

    try Start - Run - cmd [enter] / or command.com if your on win9x

    net stop telnet

    --
    Mimic

    "When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila and salt."
    ZGF0YWZsZXhAY2FubmFiaXNtYWlsLmNvbQ== ( www.hidemyemail.net )

    Stephen, Aug 2, 2004
  5. Bit Tamer

    Stephen Guest

    On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 15:04:34 GMT, "Bit Tamer"
    <> wrote:

    >Well the easy answer is to stop the service/daemon that is listening on that
    >port, but you provided no information that would help describe the steps you
    >should take.
    >
    >Help us help you by giving us some details on your configuration. Let's
    >start with: what operating system are you using?
    >
    >Bit Tamer
    >
    >"Stephen" <> wrote in message
    >> I've just checked my internet security with Shields Up at Gibson
    >> Research and was disturbed to discover Port 23 (Telnet) is wide open
    >> even though I've got Zone Alarm 3 pro running at maximum security
    >> settings. How do I close Port 23?
    >> Stephen

    I'm running Windows 2000 (SP4), connecting to the internet via ADSL
    using an ordinary ADSL modem (not ethernet). In Zone Alarm only the
    essential programs are allowed access to the internet - IE, Opera, and
    a newsreader. and Norton Anti-virus Live update. I've disabled Telnet
    and in Zone Alarm I've blocked access to port 23 for all all programs,
    but it makes no difference.
    I don't know whether this information is any help. I should point out
    that I'm fairly ignorant about all this sort of stuf, but I'm not a
    complete novice and can find my way around, altering configurations.

    Stephen, Aug 2, 2004