    can be accessed by computer experts. What do I need to do to clean
    this puppy...

    Izod

    Izod, Feb 1, 2006

  2. Izod wrote:

    > I have had this computer for sometime. Can I completely destroy
    > traces of history without Re-formatting hard drive. You hear all the
    > time that data can be accessed by computer experts. What do I need
    > to do to clean this puppy...

    The usual ... take out hard drive and in order,

    1. Smash with sledgehammer
    2. Toss in very hot fire
    3. Cool and bury in landfill

    Unless you are using it for something criminal or wanting to hide stuff
    from a spouse, why are you worried?

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 1, 2006

  3. Izod

    Izod Guest

    Well It could be all of the above, but it isn't.... I have data I do not
    want to share, you know private. If I smash it, I may as well reformat it.
    I guess your answer is;
    NO, I can not clean it without Re-formatting.... Thanks

    Izod

    Izod, Feb 1, 2006
  4. Izod wrote:

    > Well It could be all of the above, but it isn't.... I have data I do
    > not want to share, you know private. If I smash it, I may as well
    > reformat it. I guess your answer is; NO, I can not clean it without
    > Re-formatting.... Thanks

    Actually, the answer is unless you smash and burn it, old data, even
    after reformatting, is still recoverable. Not by us mere mortals, but by
    agencies and services that may be interested in your illegal activities,
    if any.

    So if what you have is just stuff like personal bank accounts, emails to
    an old sweetie, archived Usenet posts <g>, then a reformat would be ok.

    >> Izod wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have had this computer for sometime. Can I completely destroy
    >>> traces of history without Re-formatting hard drive. You hear all the
    >>> time that data can be accessed by computer experts. What do I need
    >>> to do to clean this puppy...

    >> The usual ... take out hard drive and in order,
    >>
    >> 1. Smash with sledgehammer
    >> 2. Toss in very hot fire
    >> 3. Cool and bury in landfill
    >>
    >> Unless you are using it for something criminal or wanting to hide stuff
    >> from a spouse, why are you worried?

    ..

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 2, 2006
  5. Izod

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 23:09:58 +0000, Izod wrote:

    > I have had this computer for sometime. Can I completely destroy traces of
    > history without Re-formatting hard drive. You hear all the time that data
    > can be accessed by computer experts. What do I need to do to clean
    > this puppy...
    >
    > Izod

    Toss the drive in a steel smelter.

    Meat Plow, Feb 2, 2006
  6. Izod

    Izod Guest

    Thanks Bo.....

    Izod

    > Izod wrote:
    >
    >> Well It could be all of the above, but it isn't.... I have data I do
    >> not want to share, you know private. If I smash it, I may as well
    >> reformat it. I guess your answer is; NO, I can not clean it without
    >> Re-formatting.... Thanks

    > Actually, the answer is unless you smash and burn it, old data, even
    > after reformatting, is still recoverable. Not by us mere mortals, but by
    > agencies and services that may be interested in your illegal activities,
    > if any.
    >
    > So if what you have is just stuff like personal bank accounts, emails to
    > an old sweetie, archived Usenet posts <g>, then a reformat would be ok.
    >
    >> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in message

    >>> The usual ... take out hard drive and in order,
    >>>
    >>> 1. Smash with sledgehammer
    >>> 2. Toss in very hot fire

    Izod, Feb 2, 2006
  7. Izod

    Izod Guest

    I think I found it http://www.clean-hard-drive.com/

    Izod

    Izod, Feb 2, 2006
  8. Izod wrote:

    > I think I found it http://www.clean-hard-drive.com/

    NO!!! Evidence Eliminator is a sham and a scam!

    Yeah, it erases files, but they are *still* recoverable by those
    super-experts I mentioned.

    There used to be a web site evidence-eliminator-sucks.com - active for
    years - but the citizen who ran it finally succumbed to an extremely
    lucrative payoff by the EE company.

    There is a ton of posts on Usenet about EE, like this thread:
    <http://groups.google.com/group/alt.os.windows-xp/browse_frm/thread/cf19a37c8e35eaa9/7192ae3063c39fdd?tvc=1&q=%22evidence+eliminator%22#7192ae3063c39fdd>

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 2, 2006
  9. Izod

    Mara Guest

    Mara, Feb 2, 2006
  10. Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 2, 2006
  11. Izod

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 01:39:01 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >Mara wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 00:46:09 GMT, "Izod"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I think I found it http://www.clean-hard-drive.com/
    >>>
    >>>Izod

    >> http://ee-sucks.tripod.com/

    >Yes, that's part of the original site I mentioned.
    >
    >> http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1350469
    >> http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/evidence-eliminator/

    >Remember when EE and their resellers were spamming all of Usenet every
    >day?

    Oh, my, yes. They gave new meaning to the phrase "affiliate spam."

    Gah.

    "Real slimeballs."

    --
    If you think technology can solve your security problems, then you
    don't understand the problems and you don't understand the technology.

    Mara, Feb 2, 2006
  12. Izod

    Guest

    Re: How do I clean XP w/o re-formating hard drive?

    Shred every file.

    , Feb 2, 2006
  13. Izod

    JANA Guest

    Even a re-formatted drive can be read by the experts. I have seen cases
    where they managed to get data from a drive that has been through a number
    of generations of formatting.

    What are you doing that is so secret???

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Feb 2, 2006
  14. Izod

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:adbEf.3888$,
    Izod spewed forth:
    > I have had this computer for sometime. Can I completely destroy
    > traces of history without Re-formatting hard drive. You hear all the
    > time that data can be accessed by computer experts. What do I need
    > to do to clean this puppy...
    >
    > Izod

    Download Darik's Boot 'n Nuke - that will clean up your drive so well even
    the CIA will have trouble with it <g>

    http://dban.sourceforge.net/

    (Check the features page and you'll see that it meets US DOD standard wipe
    specs - and others. VERY good program.)

    Toolman Tim, Feb 2, 2006
  15. Izod

    Plato Guest

    Izod wrote:

    > I have had this computer for sometime. Can I completely destroy traces of
    > history without Re-formatting hard drive. You hear all the time that data
    > can be accessed by computer experts. What do I need to do to clean
    > this puppy...

    No, even a format will NOT remove your history and xxx files you have
    saved.

    --
    http://www.22pixels.com/ By Artists, For Artists
    http://www.kissmyip.com/ Find Your IP, Share A Kiss

    Plato, Feb 2, 2006
  16. Izod

    Izod Guest

    Well what I have is confidential not illegal... So, I think a reformat will
    take care of anything I need to do.....

    Thanks for all the info folks.

    Izod

    Izod, Feb 2, 2006