    Thanks,
    Dave
    , Dec 30, 2005

  2. On 30 Dec 2005 08:16:29 -0800, wrote:

    >My new Canon 5D has all sorts of crap floating around in the viewfinder
    >- luckily none of it shows up on the final picture.
    >
    >I've cleaned the focusing screen and blown air up into the viewfinder
    >chamber but I can't shift it.
    >
    >Anyone got any ideas on how to do the job properly?

    Since it's under warranty, have Canon do it.

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
    John A. Stovall, Dec 30, 2005

  3. salgud Guest

    wrote:
    > My new Canon 5D has all sorts of crap floating around in the viewfinder
    > - luckily none of it shows up on the final picture.
    >
    > I've cleaned the focusing screen and blown air up into the viewfinder
    > chamber but I can't shift it.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas on how to do the job properly?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dave

    Just fill the sink with soapy water and throw it in, let it sit for 10
    or 15 min, then throw it in the dryer on "High" for an hour! :)
    salgud, Dec 30, 2005
  4. Bill P Guest

    "salgud" <> wrote in message

    > wrote:
    >> My new Canon 5D has all sorts of crap floating around in the viewfinder
    >> - luckily none of it shows up on the final picture.
    >>
    >> I've cleaned the focusing screen and blown air up into the viewfinder
    >> chamber but I can't shift it.
    >>
    >> Anyone got any ideas on how to do the job properly?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Dave

    > Just fill the sink with soapy water and throw it in, let it sit for 10
    > or 15 min, then throw it in the dryer on "High" for an hour! :)

    "plonk"

    Bill P, Dec 30, 2005
  5. Bill Funk Guest

    On 30 Dec 2005 08:48:31 -0800, "salgud" <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> My new Canon 5D has all sorts of crap floating around in the viewfinder
    >> - luckily none of it shows up on the final picture.
    >>
    >> I've cleaned the focusing screen and blown air up into the viewfinder
    >> chamber but I can't shift it.
    >>
    >> Anyone got any ideas on how to do the job properly?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Dave

    >Just fill the sink with soapy water and throw it in, let it sit for 10
    >or 15 min, then throw it in the dryer on "High" for an hour! :)

    That most definitely will *NOT* work; it leaves the soap residue.
    The easiest way is to put it in the dishwasher; however, put it in
    alone. You don't want food scraps in there.
    Oh, use the non-streak stuff, too. This leaves the sensor nice &
    streak-free!

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Dec 30, 2005
  6. Bill Funk Guest

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 16:59:44 -0000, "Bill P"
    <> wrote:

    >"salgud" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> wrote:
    >>> My new Canon 5D has all sorts of crap floating around in the viewfinder
    >>> - luckily none of it shows up on the final picture.
    >>>
    >>> I've cleaned the focusing screen and blown air up into the viewfinder
    >>> chamber but I can't shift it.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone got any ideas on how to do the job properly?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Dave

    >> Just fill the sink with soapy water and throw it in, let it sit for 10
    >> or 15 min, then throw it in the dryer on "High" for an hour! :)

    >"plonk"

    I checked on Ebay, but I didn't find any current auctions for a sense
    of humor. If I were you, I'd check often, though, because you never
    know...

    Bill Funk, Dec 30, 2005
  7. Guest

    Oh for goodness sake that's all in the troubleshooting section of the
    manual,
    I've tried that already...

    What about a really stiff scrubbing brush and some Jeyes Fluid...?

    Anyone have any experience of using that?

    Dave
    , Dec 30, 2005
  8. salgud Guest

    Bill Funk wrote:
    > On 30 Dec 2005 08:48:31 -0800, "salgud" <> wrote:
    >

    > > wrote:
    > >> My new Canon 5D has all sorts of crap floating around in the viewfinder
    > >> - luckily none of it shows up on the final picture.
    > >>
    > >> I've cleaned the focusing screen and blown air up into the viewfinder
    > >> chamber but I can't shift it.
    > >>
    > >> Anyone got any ideas on how to do the job properly?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >> Dave

    > >Just fill the sink with soapy water and throw it in, let it sit for 10
    > >or 15 min, then throw it in the dryer on "High" for an hour! :)

    > That most definitely will *NOT* work; it leaves the soap residue.
    > The easiest way is to put it in the dishwasher; however, put it in
    > alone. You don't want food scraps in there.
    > Oh, use the non-streak stuff, too. This leaves the sensor nice &
    > streak-free!

    I should have thought of that! Classic case of "sick minds think
    alike". :)

    salgud, Dec 30, 2005
  9. Charles Self Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Oh for goodness sake that's all in the troubleshooting section of the
    > manual,
    > I've tried that already...
    >
    > What about a really stiff scrubbing brush and some Jeyes Fluid...?
    >
    > Anyone have any experience of using that?

    Easiest way is to strap it face down in the bed of a pick-up and drive it
    through one of those 10 buck car washes.
    Charles Self, Dec 30, 2005
  10. Frank ess Guest

    Charles Self wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> Oh for goodness sake that's all in the troubleshooting section of
    >> the
    >> manual,
    >> I've tried that already...
    >>
    >> What about a really stiff scrubbing brush and some Jeyes Fluid...?
    >>
    >> Anyone have any experience of using that?
    >>

    > Easiest way is to strap it face down in the bed of a pick-up and
    > drive it through one of those 10 buck car washes.

    It may be too late, if you've already tried one of the liquid
    solutions (eeew!), but the best dry way is to use natural forces: Get
    up on at least a six-foot ladder, and drop it. When it stops, the
    debris keeps going, and you'll probably not have the same problem
    again!

    --
    Frank ess
    "You know my method, Watson.
    Frank ess, Dec 30, 2005
  11. Mark² Guest

    wrote:
    > My new Canon 5D has all sorts of crap floating around in the
    > viewfinder - luckily none of it shows up on the final picture.
    >
    > I've cleaned the focusing screen and blown air up into the viewfinder
    > chamber but I can't shift it.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas on how to do the job properly?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dave

    Simple.
    Remove the focus screen (they are interchangeable), and you should be able
    to remove any/all crap.
    Your manual should explain how to remove the focus screen.
    This is more a problem with other DSLR bodies that don't allow easy removal
    of the focus screen...but with the 5D, 1D series...it's a snap...literally.

    -Mark
    Mark², Dec 30, 2005
  12. Kinon O'cann Guest

    "Bill Funk" <> wrote in message
    > On 30 Dec 2005 08:48:31 -0800, "salgud" <> wrote:
    >

    >> wrote:
    >>> My new Canon 5D has all sorts of crap floating around in the viewfinder
    >>> - luckily none of it shows up on the final picture.
    >>>
    >>> I've cleaned the focusing screen and blown air up into the viewfinder
    >>> chamber but I can't shift it.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone got any ideas on how to do the job properly?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Dave

    >>Just fill the sink with soapy water and throw it in, let it sit for 10
    >>or 15 min, then throw it in the dryer on "High" for an hour! :)

    > That most definitely will *NOT* work; it leaves the soap residue.
    > The easiest way is to put it in the dishwasher; however, put it in
    > alone. You don't want food scraps in there.
    > Oh, use the non-streak stuff, too. This leaves the sensor nice &
    > streak-free!

    I use Jet Dry rinsing agent for a non-streaking finish. Leave the lens on,
    it works with that, as well.

    Kinon O'cann, Dec 31, 2005
  13. Don Guest

    The dryer should be set on medium not high!

    Don from Down Under

    Don, Dec 31, 2005
  14. cjcampbell Guest

    Truly. Of course, you see the problem more often in cameras with
    interchangeable focusing screens, but it is a small price to pay for a
    nice feature like that.

    Let it never be said that this group does not have a sense of humor.
    cjcampbell, Dec 31, 2005
  15. Guest

    In all seriousness it's become a big problem - I'm on St Lucia at the
    moment and the humidity is through the roof so I don't have too much of
    hope of shifting the speckles, they;re pretty much welded on to
    whatever surface has taken their fancy.

    It's only a month old so I'll see about getting a straight swap from
    the store I bought it from.

    Dave
    , Dec 31, 2005
  16. Bill Funk Guest

    On 30 Dec 2005 11:16:12 -0800, "salgud" <> wrote:

    >Bill Funk wrote:

    >> >Just fill the sink with soapy water and throw it in, let it sit for 10
    >> >or 15 min, then throw it in the dryer on "High" for an hour! :)

    >> That most definitely will *NOT* work; it leaves the soap residue.
    >> The easiest way is to put it in the dishwasher; however, put it in
    >> alone. You don't want food scraps in there.
    >> Oh, use the non-streak stuff, too. This leaves the sensor nice &
    >> streak-free!

    >I should have thought of that! Classic case of "sick minds think
    >alike". :)

    Thank you! Thank you very much!

    Bill Funk, Dec 31, 2005
  17. Mark² Guest

    wrote:
    > In all seriousness it's become a big problem - I'm on St Lucia at the
    > moment and the humidity is through the roof so I don't have too much
    > of hope of shifting the speckles, they;re pretty much welded on to
    > whatever surface has taken their fancy.
    >
    > It's only a month old so I'll see about getting a straight swap from
    > the store I bought it from.
    >
    > Dave

    Have you tried removing the focus screen??
    It's really very easy.
    Mark², Dec 31, 2005