How do I choose which adapter to use for Internet access?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Mark P, Dec 7, 2004.

  1. Mark P

    Mark P Guest

    My setup... one computer with two connections:

    1. Cable internet.
    2. Wireless private LAN.

    Internet is normally provided by the cable modem.

    All goes well until someone on wireless starts sharing his internet
    connection. Windows, being clever, detects this new connectivity
    option, and starts directing my internet traffic over wireless. Since
    the wireless connection is less reliable (and not secure), I soon
    start getting page timeouts and other connectivity problems.
    Meanwhile, the perfectly good cable modem sits unused.

    The question, then:

    How do I tell Windows to only use the wired network for outgoing
    internet access?

    Mark P, Dec 7, 2004

  2. Which of your interfaces is configured with a default gateway? Windows
    doesn't support having more than one default gateway defined. If you've got
    a DG on your wireless NIC, remove it. Only the wired NIC connected to your
    cable modem should have a DG configured.

    Steve Riley

    Steve Riley [MSFT], Dec 7, 2004