    desktop and click properties, I can't set the video to more than 16 colors
    and I can't set the resolution beyond 640 x 480. Can someone point me in the
    right direction on this? Thank you.
    j, Jun 22, 2008

  2. j

    Baron Guest

    j wrote:

    > I have a computer that runs on Windows 98. Yesterday I put in a new
    > Windows XP Professional with service pack 2 installation disc and
    > installed XP. Since then, all my icons and photos are grainy and when
    > I right click the desktop and click properties, I can't set the video
    > to more than 16 colors and I can't set the resolution beyond 640 x
    > 480. Can someone point me in the right direction on this? Thank you.

    Install the video card driver first !

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    Baron, Jun 22, 2008

  3. j

    Guest

    On 22 Jun, 21:20, "j" <> wrote:
    > I have a computer that runs on Windows 98. Yesterday I put in a new Windows
    > XP Professional with service pack 2 installation disc and installed XP.
    > Since then, all my icons and photos are grainy and when I right click the
    > desktop and click properties, I can't set the video to more than 16 colors
    > and I can't set the resolution beyond 640 x 480. Can someone point me in the
    > right direction on this? Thank you.

    install video drivers - Open up your computer, get a torch, and then..

    if your monitor is plugged into a card, then read what it says on the
    card. note it down.

    You may have to take the card out.

    if it is on the motherboard, then read what it says there and note it
    down. You want make and model.

    You should get the motherboard's make and model anyway.
    For the motherboard you should install the chipset drivers.. If a
    motherboard has the video connector, ethernet socket, and sound
    drivers in it, then when you don't instsall the chipset drivers, you
    could have none of them. They might take separate drivers. But go to
    the motherboard site and download the drivers.

    Before plugging or unplugging anything inside, you should unplug the
    power cord (from the back of the computer, or turn the mains power
    switch off at the wall socket)

    You may have to install sound drivers and LAN"/"Ethernet drivers too.

    If you haven't installed video, then I suspect you haven't looked into
    that either.

    chipset, sound, video, network <-- standard things to install.
    it perhaps may be that chipset includes those. or those cover chipset.
    Just go to the motherbord website..

    and as mentioned, you might have sound video and network or some of
    those, in card form. So if their drivers aren't automatically detected
    then download drivers for it(my ethernet card always is automatically
    detected).
    , Jun 23, 2008
  4. Sounds like you need new drivers for your video card.

    Jeff Strickland, Jun 23, 2008
  5. <> wrote in message
    > On 22 Jun, 21:20, "j" <> wrote:
    >> I have a computer that runs on Windows 98. Yesterday I put in a new
    >> Windows
    >> XP Professional with service pack 2 installation disc and installed XP.
    >> Since then, all my icons and photos are grainy and when I right click the
    >> desktop and click properties, I can't set the video to more than 16
    >> colors
    >> and I can't set the resolution beyond 640 x 480. Can someone point me in
    >> the
    >> right direction on this? Thank you.

    > install video drivers - Open up your computer, get a torch, and then..

    Keep in mind that a "torch" in the USA is an open flame, but a torch in the
    UK is a flashlight.
    Jeff Strickland, Jun 23, 2008
  6. j

    Guest

    On Jun 23, 1:18 am, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    <snip>
    > > install video drivers - Open up your computer, get a torch, and then..

    > Keep in mind that a "torch" in the USA is an open flame, but a torch in the
    > UK is a flashlight.

    yikes, thanks for the correction.

    I hope he didn't burn his "pants" ;-)
    , Jun 23, 2008