    Thanks,

    A_C

    //2

    Agent_C, Dec 27, 2003

  2. Agent_C

    Bill Guest

    It's a lengthy download, but one option would be to give the trial version
    of Nero 6 Ultra Edition a workout:

    http://www.nero.com/us/neroue-prog.php

    It includes a transcoder, which would allow you to compress the size of your
    video project. The current demo permits unlimited use until Jan. 31, 2004.

    There is also a free, and quite effective, program called DVDShrink. It main
    purpose is decrypting/backing up commercial DVDs. However, if your current
    software will allow you to write your project to hard drive in standard DVD
    format, you should be able to use DVDShrink to reduce the size of those
    files so they would fit onto a single DVD disc. The program will
    automatically select the proper level of compression that's needed.

    http://www.dvdshrink.org/

    Bill, Dec 27, 2003

  3. Agent_C

    Eddie Guest

    "Agent_C" <> wrote in message
    > I just got an HP DVD400i, which will only burn DVD+R & DVD+RW. I
    > recorded a 2:45min video using the provided software (arcSoftShoBiz
    > 2), which is 4.6GB in size.
    >
    > Every time I attempt to burn, I get a message saying "The project will
    > not fit into media size, please reduce project size". It seems it
    > will only let me burn a 2-hour DVD. Is this a hard & fast limitation,
    > or is there some way around it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > A_C

    Yes, it is a hard and fast rule (until dual layer burners come on the
    market), but you can burn by first compressing the file. Use something like
    DVD Shrink. This will re-render the DVD to a 2 hour size.

    Eddie

    Eddie, Dec 27, 2003
  4. Agent_C

    Biz Guest

    blank dvds are really only 4.38 GB, depending on the combined audio/video
    data rate, you can burn many hours of video per disk. Reduce the size of
    the video to 4.3 or so GB and it will fit fine.

    Biz, Dec 27, 2003
  5. Agent_C

    Bigarbel Guest

    >Yes, it is a hard and fast rule (until dual layer burners come on the
    >market), but you can burn by first compressing the file. Use something like
    >DVD Shrink. This will re-render the DVD to a 2 hour size.

    Not completely correct it will resize your project to a size that will
    fit on one DVD. This can be more than 2 hours.

    These two sites explain a lot:

    www.dvdrhelp.com and www.doom9.org
    ---

    Bigarbel

    Bigarbel, Dec 28, 2003
  6. "Bigarbel" <> wrote in message
    > >Yes, it is a hard and fast rule (until dual layer burners come on the
    > >market), but you can burn by first compressing the file. Use something

    like
    > >DVD Shrink. This will re-render the DVD to a 2 hour size.

    > Not completely correct it will resize your project to a size that will
    > fit on one DVD. This can be more than 2 hours.
    >
    > These two sites explain a lot:
    >
    > www.dvdrhelp.com and www.doom9.org
    > ---
    >
    > Bigarbel

    Yes, that 120min thing shouldn't be on the discs. It seems to confuse some.
    It is really a digital format that is based on a variable bit encoding
    method, so to try to predict the amount of minutes you can fit is absurd. I
    think of the 120 as a guidline, for good quality when you have 3 audio
    tracks or so. When you get it down to 1 audio track with no menus, it is
    very easy to fit 150min or 160min on there without much quality lost in
    video at all. After trying to backup 3 hours on 1 DVD with menus and extras,
    I can say it is a bad idea, the video quality wasn't good (watchable, but my
    eyes expect so much, it almost looked like a SVCD). 3 hours of video
    without menus and extras is quite possible, particularly with just 1 audio
    track & 1 subtitle track (not that they really take up too much
    space....although I've seen some that are 40MB).

    Anonymous Joe, Dec 28, 2003
  7. Agent_C

    Eddie Guest

    "Bigarbel" <> wrote in message
    > >Yes, it is a hard and fast rule (until dual layer burners come on the
    > >market), but you can burn by first compressing the file. Use something

    like
    > >DVD Shrink. This will re-render the DVD to a 2 hour size.

    > Not completely correct it will resize your project to a size that will
    > fit on one DVD. This can be more than 2 hours.

    True, but, it compresses the data. Too much compression and you lose detail
    and quality. It is not a true, digital copy.

    Eddie

    Eddie, Dec 29, 2003
  8. Agent_C

    Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 10:04:58 -0500, Agent_C
    <> wrote:

    >I just got an HP DVD400i, which will only burn DVD+R & DVD+RW. I

    Put rhe DVD in a safe place to start a fire.
    Pour some gas on it, light a match, and watch it burn. Not at all
    difficult.

    , Dec 29, 2003