    Jerry Guest

    I want to block some websites that my kids go to. I use Firefox and
    firefox does not use a host file

    Jerry, Mar 24, 2006

  2. Jerry

    gwtc Guest

    Jerry wrote:

    > I want to block some websites that my kids go to. I use Firefox and
    > firefox does not use a host file

    what do you mean "Firefox does not use a host file?" Sure it does. It
    works great with mine. It works with any program that is connected to
    the internet. Maybe you just don't know how to use it properly.

    gwtc, Mar 24, 2006

  3. Jerry

    Z Guest

    Jerry wrote:
    > I want to block some websites that my kids go to. I use Firefox and
    > firefox does not use a host file

    You have many options:

    1. Third-party site-blocking software
    2. Add entries in the hosts file
    3. Get a router, or if you already have one, use it to block access to
    various web sites.
    4. ...

    Z, Mar 24, 2006
  4. Jerry

    Z Guest

    Jerry wrote:
    > I want to block some websites that my kids go to. I use Firefox and
    > firefox does not use a host file

    Sure it does.

    You're running Windows XP.

    Be logged in as a privileged user.

    Open a DOS command window, type:
    notepad C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

    Put the following line in hosts:
    127.0.0.1 www.google.com

    File > Save.

    Now try to open http://www.google.com with any web browser on the PC.

    Remove the line you added from hosts to restore access to the Googl;e
    web site

    Z, Mar 24, 2006
  5. Jerry

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Jerry wrote:
    > I want to block some websites that my kids go to. I use Firefox and
    > firefox does not use a host file

    Firefox has nothing to do with it. A Hosts file is a Windows-level
    function. If a Hosts file is present and has correct entries in it NO
    browser on your system will be able to access those entries: Windows
    prevents it.

    http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl=en&lr=lang_en&safe=off&q=hosts file&btnG=Search
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file

    - You can download a Hosts file
    (http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm) and use it "as is" or edit it.
    - You can create your own Hosts file by editing the sample Windows
    provides (C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.sam)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Mar 24, 2006
  6. Jerry

    gwtc Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Jerry wrote:
    >
    >>I want to block some websites that my kids go to. I use Firefox and
    >>firefox does not use a host file

    > Firefox has nothing to do with it. A Hosts file is a Windows-level
    > function. If a Hosts file is present and has correct entries in it NO
    > browser on your system will be able to access those entries: Windows
    > prevents it.
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl=en&lr=lang_en&safe=off&q=hosts file&btnG=Search
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file
    >
    > - You can download a Hosts file
    > (http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm) and use it "as is" or edit it.
    > - You can create your own Hosts file by editing the sample Windows
    > provides (C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.sam)

    I'll also add to your last entry Ed, that you should save it as a text
    file and without any extension.

    gwtc, Mar 24, 2006
  7. Jerry

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Ed Mullen, Mar 25, 2006
  8. Jerry

    Tom Graham

    Joined:
    May 11, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    host file doesnt block with firefox

    okay im way frustrated, editing the host file blocks in internet explorer, but not in firefox, i tried it. i tried blocking google and in internet explorer it is blocked, but in firefox it still works..... WHAT CAN I DO!!!!

    Tom Graham, May 11, 2006
  9. Jerry

    BigAlHurl

    Joined:
    May 19, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    OK Ive waisted enough time trying this alone ... I need help

    I have had success with these.

    www.google.com
    www.myspace.com

    I have tried for hours to block these sites by entering them into my hosts file.

    www.craigslist.com
    www.craigslist.org
    richmond.craigslist.org
    richmond.craigslist.org/cas
    richmond.craigslist.org/w4m
    richmond.craigslist.org/m4w
    richmond.craigslist.org/w4w

    and the list goes on.

    WHAT GIVES?!?!

    Can someone else try this and tell me its possible?

    I would like to redirect these attempts to others sites like
    disney.com
    nick.com
    cartoonnetwork.com
    etc...
    ( you know for shits and giggles) :twisted:

    BigAlHurl, May 19, 2006
  10. Jerry

    patriciaj102

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    I have tried multiple times to block a website in my hosts file but it won't work in Firefox OR Internet Explorer. What am I doing wrong? Here is my host file:

    Code:
    # Copyright (c) 1993-2004 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # AutoGenerated by Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Malicious Software Removal Tool.
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    #      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
    #       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

    127.0.0.1       localhost

    127.0.0.1       www.miniclip.com
    Am I doing something wrong or what? Why isn't this working?

    patriciaj102, Jun 9, 2006
  11. Jerry

    fuzzyworm

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Small problem with 'hosts' file

    All the 'hosts' file method does is 'lies' to your internet browser, disguising the real location of a website, and associating the address with the local machine (127.0.0.1). Even if you are successful in setting this system up, it's little more than a minor inconvenience. Try this:

    Use the system described to block 'google.co.uk' as you have been doing, then follow any of these links:

    www.google.co.uk
    www.google.co.uk
    www.google.co.uk

    Just to prove that the problem is inherent in the system, and is not just because of the way you set it up, click this one:

    www.google.co.uk

    Why does it work?

    Whenever you type an address, your internet program asks windows for the numerical 'IP address'. The first thing windows does is looks in its 'hosts' file, to see if it already knows it. If it doesn't, then it contacts your ISP, and asks them if they know (a DNS server). By putting entries in your 'hosts' file, you mislead windows into thinking it knows the address, but you feed it an incorrect one, and since it doesn't bother to check this address with the ISP, then for all intents and purposes, the website is down.

    This is the crunch though, if you already happen to know the NUMERICAL address, you can just type that straight in. The easiest way to find this is to open a command prompt, and type nslookup google.co.uk. This should give you at least one valid numerical address.

    Now - what can you do about this? Very little, you could deny access to the command prompt, or specifically to nslookup, but this would have little effect, with significant hindrance to the system, since there are also multitudinous websites, literally thousands, that offer the same service as nslookup, such as This One, so unless you also plan to block all these, then blocking nslookup is futile, and hence so is using the hosts file for security.

    The bottom line is that although there isn't really any system guaranteed to keep your browsers clean, this is probably the least effective, not least because you have to manually update the list whenever you want to block a site. If you want my advice, invest some time in setting up a tried and tested content filter.

    P.S. Patricia - You might find that Windows is set up to ignore the hosts file altogether, a setting you can probably change, but believe me, it's not worth the effort.

    It's not just me! edit: Also, check this page out!

    Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
    fuzzyworm, Jun 15, 2006
  12. Jerry

    Orlando

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
    Orlando, Jun 21, 2006
  13. Jerry

    alpha1

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2006
    Messages:
    10
    hello jerry

    hope im not too late.

    host file blocking dont work on dynamic IP.

    Use firefox extension called adblock its free.

    Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
    alpha1, Jul 28, 2006
  14. Jerry

    nlsteffens

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    firefox ignoring host file

    If the hosts file is not working with mozilla firefox, clear the cache file by clicking tools->clear private data. Clear all fields except for 'cache' and then click on 'clear private data now'. Restart firefox. The hosts file should now work as expected.

    Regards,
    Nick

    Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
    nlsteffens, Aug 21, 2006
  15. Jerry

    daddysapp

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Using edit

    The problem may be that there is an extension added by note pad. Instead, use edit whenever you are changing the host file.

    daddysapp, Aug 30, 2006
  16. Jerry

    BuGG

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    You must reboot after making changes to Hosts

    I'm sure this is old news to most, but for those having trouble editing
    hosts, you should reboot the pc after editing hosts to apply
    any changes.

    BuGG, Sep 21, 2006
  17. Jerry

    C_K

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Alright I've tried this method numerous times in order to block certain websites on my computer and it has yet to properly block the sites.
    Everytime I block a website it only does it for one user, for every other user the site isn't blocked.
    Can anyone tell me why that is?

    C_K, Nov 4, 2006
  18. Jerry

    Thorbjorn

    Joined:
    May 23, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Denmark
    I can recommend the Firefox add-on BlockSite, which is available at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3145

    It works for me. It is possible to prevent others from switching it off with password. Further instructions are at the site linked to.

    Hope it works! :)

    Thorbjorn, May 23, 2007
  19. Jerry

    deepu

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    India
    yes patriciaj102, you were doing it wrong

    give next ip address for blocking urls

    that is instead of using 127.0.0.1 use 127.0.0.2

    for next url u want to block use 127.0.0.3 and so on....

    url = uniform resource locator (this is the address of websites eg: http://www.google.com)

    deepu, Aug 29, 2007
  20. Jerry

    AlphaHusky

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    :???:
    I think this person is looking for what she CAN do and NOT what she CAN'T do...
    Here is a link for an add-on from Mozilla to block websites. It appears to work similar to the IPTABLES in Linux boxes...

    AlphaHusky, Oct 22, 2007