How do I block offensive newsgroups?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Christo van Tubbergh, Dec 13, 2005.

  1. Christo van Tubbergh

    Guest

    On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 17:20:52 -0600, Doug G <>
    wrote:

    >Christo van Tubbergh wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I use Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.6. I would like to know how I can block
    >> newsgroups with certain terms in the group name.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >The only way I know of to not see a newsgroup name when using
    >Thunderbird's Subscribe window is to delete the entire line containing
    >newsgroup's name from the news server's hostinfo.dat file.
    >
    >If the offensive term was erotica or something similar, I'd probably
    >need to remove about a quarter of the lines. The hostinfo.dat file for
    >my ISP's news server has over 100,000 lines.
    >
    >The following are four lines from my ISP's hostinfo.dat file.
    >
    >alt.test.test.a,,1,0,0
    >alt.test.test.jojo,,1,0,0
    >alt.test.test.moderated,,1,0,0
    >alt.test.test.test,,1,0,0

    Yep, just go to your refresh groups list and delete all the bad ones.
    Just dont remove alt.erotica.mozilla or you'll miss all the naked
    mozilla pictures.

    , Dec 16, 2005

  2. Christo van Tubbergh

    Nobody Guest

    On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 21:27:09 -0600,
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 17:20:52 -0600, Doug G <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Christo van Tubbergh wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I use Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.6. I would like to know how I can block
    >>> newsgroups with certain terms in the group name.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >>The only way I know of to not see a newsgroup name when using
    >>Thunderbird's Subscribe window is to delete the entire line containing
    >>newsgroup's name from the news server's hostinfo.dat file.
    >>
    >>If the offensive term was erotica or something similar, I'd probably
    >>need to remove about a quarter of the lines. The hostinfo.dat file for
    >>my ISP's news server has over 100,000 lines.
    >>
    >>The following are four lines from my ISP's hostinfo.dat file.
    >>
    >>alt.test.test.a,,1,0,0
    >>alt.test.test.jojo,,1,0,0
    >>alt.test.test.moderated,,1,0,0
    >>alt.test.test.test,,1,0,0

    >Yep, just go to your refresh groups list and delete all the bad ones.
    >Just dont remove alt.erotica.mozilla or you'll miss all the naked
    >mozilla pictures.

    Not to mention a tonne of spam that accompany the pics <grin>

    Nobody, Dec 17, 2005