    I use Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.6. I would like to know how I can block
    newsgroups with certain terms in the group name.

    Thanks
    Christo van Tubbergh, Dec 13, 2005

  2. Christo van Tubbergh wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I use Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.6. I would like to know how I can block
    > newsgroups with certain terms in the group name.
    >
    > Thanks

    You really cant block them, all you can do is not subscribe to them
    Moz Champion (Dan), Dec 13, 2005

  3. Christo van Tubbergh

    Stubby Guest

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Christo van Tubbergh wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I use Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.6. I would like to know how I can block
    >> newsgroups with certain terms in the group name.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > You really cant block them, all you can do is not subscribe to them

    I suspect he doesn't want to see them in the list of available news groups.
    Stubby, Dec 13, 2005
  4. Christo van Tubbergh

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Stubby* wrote:

    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Christo van Tubbergh wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I use Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.6. I would like to know how I can block
    >>> newsgroups with certain terms in the group name.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> You really cant block them, all you can do is not subscribe to them

    > I suspect he doesn't want to see them in the list of available news groups.

    I suspect he is talking about threads in newsgroups. :)
    What can be a problem with just not subscribe to a ng?

    --
    /Arne

    Now ignoring all top posters
    * How to post: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html
    Arne, Dec 13, 2005

    Moz Champion (Dan), Dec 13, 2005
  6. Stubby wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >
    >> Christo van Tubbergh wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I use Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.6. I would like to know how I can block
    >>> newsgroups with certain terms in the group name.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> You really cant block them, all you can do is not subscribe to them

    > I suspect he doesn't want to see them in the list of available news groups.

    Perhaps, but there is nothing one can do about that, except to complain
    to the news server administrator, which I dont think will do any good
    for most news servers.
    Moz Champion (Dan), Dec 13, 2005
  7. Arne wrote:
    > Once upon a time *Stubby* wrote:
    >

    >>Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    >>>You really cant block them, all you can do is not subscribe to them

    >>I suspect he doesn't want to see them in the list of available news groups.

    > I suspect he is talking about threads in newsgroups. :)
    > What can be a problem with just not subscribe to a ng?

    Hmmm, never thought of that, he did say newsgroups not messages.

    For individual messages/threads, one could use a filter to mark them
    read - they would still be there of course, but hitting the next button
    bypasses them quite well. Not blocked of course, just sorta out of view,
    out of mind.
    Moz Champion (Dan), Dec 13, 2005
  8. Christo van Tubbergh

    Nobody Guest

    On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 13:41:00 GMT, "Moz Champion (Dan)"
    <> wrote:

    >Stubby wrote:
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    >>> You really cant block them, all you can do is not subscribe to them

    >> I suspect he doesn't want to see them in the list of available news groups.

    >Perhaps, but there is nothing one can do about that, except to complain
    >to the news server administrator, which I dont think will do any good
    >for most news servers.

    <shaking head> Why look at them in the first place?
    Nobody, Dec 14, 2005
  9. Christo van Tubbergh

    gwtc Guest

    Nobody wrote:

    > On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 13:41:00 GMT, "Moz Champion (Dan)"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Stubby wrote:

    >>>I suspect he doesn't want to see them in the list of available news groups.

    >>Perhaps, but there is nothing one can do about that, except to complain
    >>to the news server administrator, which I dont think will do any good
    >>for most news servers.

    > <shaking head> Why look at them in the first place?

    It could be a parent who wants to block groups such as
    alt.fan.britney-spears.anal-sex so their kids won't view them.
    gwtc, Dec 14, 2005
  10. Christo van Tubbergh

    Ed Mullen Guest

    gwtc wrote:
    > Nobody wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 13:41:00 GMT, "Moz Champion (Dan)"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Perhaps, but there is nothing one can do about that, except to
    >>> complain to the news server administrator, which I dont think will do
    >>> any good for most news servers.

    >> <shaking head> Why look at them in the first place?

    > It could be a parent who wants to block groups such as
    > alt.fan.britney-spears.anal-sex so their kids won't view them.

    I'm not even gonna ask how you came up with that one. (Now heading for
    the liquor cabinet to see if I can get that image out of my head ...)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Dec 14, 2005
  11. Christo van Tubbergh

    gwtc Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>Nobody wrote:

    >>><shaking head> Why look at them in the first place?

    >>It could be a parent who wants to block groups such as
    >>alt.fan.britney-spears.anal-sex so their kids won't view them.

    > I'm not even gonna ask how you came up with that one. (Now heading for
    > the liquor cabinet to see if I can get that image out of my head ...)

    look it up, its there.
    gwtc, Dec 14, 2005
  12. Christo van Tubbergh

    Doug G Guest

    Christo van Tubbergh wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I use Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.6. I would like to know how I can block
    > newsgroups with certain terms in the group name.
    >
    > Thanks

    The only way I know of to not see a newsgroup name when using
    Thunderbird's Subscribe window is to delete the entire line containing
    newsgroup's name from the news server's hostinfo.dat file.

    If the offensive term was erotica or something similar, I'd probably
    need to remove about a quarter of the lines. The hostinfo.dat file for
    my ISP's news server has over 100,000 lines.

    The following are four lines from my ISP's hostinfo.dat file.

    alt.test.test.a,,1,0,0
    alt.test.test.jojo,,1,0,0
    alt.test.test.moderated,,1,0,0
    alt.test.test.test,,1,0,0
    Doug G, Dec 14, 2005
  13. gwtc wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> It could be a parent who wants to block groups such as
    >>> alt.fan.britney-spears.anal-sex so their kids won't view them.

    >> I'm not even gonna ask how you came up with that one. (Now heading
    >> for the liquor cabinet to see if I can get that image out of my head ...)
    >>

    > look it up, its there.

    I'll take your word for it. ;)

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 15, 2005
  14. Doug G wrote:
    > Christo van Tubbergh wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I use Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.6. I would like to know how I can block
    >> newsgroups with certain terms in the group name.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > The only way I know of to not see a newsgroup name when using
    > Thunderbird's Subscribe window is to delete the entire line containing
    > newsgroup's name from the news server's hostinfo.dat file.
    >
    > If the offensive term was erotica or something similar, I'd probably
    > need to remove about a quarter of the lines. The hostinfo.dat file for
    > my ISP's news server has over 100,000 lines.
    >
    > The following are four lines from my ISP's hostinfo.dat file.
    >
    > alt.test.test.a,,1,0,0
    > alt.test.test.jojo,,1,0,0
    > alt.test.test.moderated,,1,0,0
    > alt.test.test.test,,1,0,0

    The only problem i can see with that, is that if the list of groups is
    refreshed, would that not restore the offensive groups to the list?

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 15, 2005
  15. Christo van Tubbergh

    gwtc Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Doug G wrote:
    >
    >>Christo van Tubbergh wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi
    >>>
    >>>I use Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.6. I would like to know how I can block
    >>>newsgroups with certain terms in the group name.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks

    >>The only way I know of to not see a newsgroup name when using
    >>Thunderbird's Subscribe window is to delete the entire line containing
    >>newsgroup's name from the news server's hostinfo.dat file.
    >>
    >>If the offensive term was erotica or something similar, I'd probably
    >>need to remove about a quarter of the lines. The hostinfo.dat file for
    >>my ISP's news server has over 100,000 lines.
    >>
    >>The following are four lines from my ISP's hostinfo.dat file.
    >>
    >>alt.test.test.a,,1,0,0
    >>alt.test.test.jojo,,1,0,0
    >>alt.test.test.moderated,,1,0,0
    >>alt.test.test.test,,1,0,0

    > The only problem i can see with that, is that if the list of groups is
    > refreshed, would that not restore the offensive groups to the list?
    >
    > Lee

    maybe you could set it to read only -- I guess
    gwtc, Dec 15, 2005
  16. gwtc wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Doug G wrote:

    >>> The only way I know of to not see a newsgroup name when using
    >>> Thunderbird's Subscribe window is to delete the entire line containing
    >>> newsgroup's name from the news server's hostinfo.dat file.
    >>>
    >>> If the offensive term was erotica or something similar, I'd probably
    >>> need to remove about a quarter of the lines. The hostinfo.dat file for
    >>> my ISP's news server has over 100,000 lines.
    >>>
    >>> The following are four lines from my ISP's hostinfo.dat file.
    >>>
    >>> alt.test.test.a,,1,0,0
    >>> alt.test.test.jojo,,1,0,0
    >>> alt.test.test.moderated,,1,0,0
    >>> alt.test.test.test,,1,0,0

    >> The only problem i can see with that, is that if the list of groups is
    >> refreshed, would that not restore the offensive groups to the list?
    >>
    >> Lee

    > maybe you could set it to read only -- I guess

    True, but if your provider adds new groups to the list, how do you
    access them?

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 15, 2005
  17. Christo van Tubbergh

    Doug G Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:

    >>> The only problem i can see with that, is that if the list of groups is
    >>> refreshed, would that not restore the offensive groups to the list?
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> maybe you could set it to read only -- I guess

    > True, but if your provider adds new groups to the list, how do you
    > access them?
    >
    > Lee

    If you knew the names of the groups, you could try getting them by
    adding the names to the server's *.rc file.
    Doug G, Dec 15, 2005
  18. Christo van Tubbergh

    gwtc Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:

    >>>The only problem i can see with that, is that if the list of groups is
    >>>refreshed, would that not restore the offensive groups to the list?
    >>>
    >>>Lee

    >>maybe you could set it to read only -- I guess

    > True, but if your provider adds new groups to the list, how do you
    > access them?
    >
    > Lee

    its a give and take situation.
    gwtc, Dec 15, 2005
  19. gwtc wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> maybe you could set it to read only -- I guess

    >> True, but if your provider adds new groups to the list, how do you
    >> access them?
    >>
    >> Lee

    > its a give and take situation.

    Indeed. Its an interesting question, that has sparked some interesting
    answers.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 15, 2005
  20. On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 20:25:47 GMT, Leonidas Jones wrote in
    t:

    > gwtc wrote:

    >>> True, but if your provider adds new groups to the list,
    >>> how do you access them?
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> its a give and take situation.

    > Indeed. Its an interesting question, that has sparked some
    > interesting answers.

    And a really useable solution might be here:
    http://www.nfilter.org/

    Flatus
    Flatus Ohlfahrt, Dec 15, 2005