    folders. Or will I lose everything.

    Anyways, what I'm asking is how do I safely back everything up so that I can
    retrieve it again afterwards.

    Jumbo, Sep 29, 2003

  2. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think your ISP is thinking "server side", you
    should be able to have as many megabytes of storage as you want on "your"
    hard drive as all emails are downloaded to your computer.

    kljkkkkkkkkkk, Sep 29, 2003

  3. Jumbo

    Jumbo Guest

    Could it have been one of those nasty email viruses floating around? Here's
    what I recieved. Maybe others have gotten the same. Come to think of it I
    think it is a hoax because the "TO" address had "none" there instead of my
    actual address.

    Your mailbox is over the high water mark.
    Please delete some messages from your mailbox!

    "kljkkkkkkkkkk" <> wrote in
    message news:bl9elc$vfn$...

    Jumbo, Sep 29, 2003
  4. Jumbo

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Jumbo said:

    > I just received an email from my ISP saying that my mail storage is above
    > the high-water mark. Therefore I have to start deleting some stuff.
    > However, I still want to keep everything. I know that if I compact all
    > folders it creates a backup of some sort. If I do that, then can I delete
    > all my email in my folders and do a retrieve afterwards of the compacted
    > folders. Or will I lose everything.
    >
    > Anyways, what I'm asking is how do I safely back everything up so that I can
    > retrieve it again afterwards.

    Create a new folder in OE and move your mail from the Inbox to this new folder.

    Brian H¹©, Sep 29, 2003
  5. Yeah, it looks like a hoax to me, your ISP would never say that.

    kljkkkkkkkkkk, Sep 29, 2003
  6. Jumbo

    Brian H¹© Guest

    kljkkkkkkkkkk said:

    > Yeah, it looks like a hoax to me, your ISP would never say that.

    You look like you are talking out of your arse.
    Providers *do* warn you when your limit is being reached.
    Hotmail most certainly do.

    Brian H¹©, Sep 29, 2003
  7. Was I being hostile in any way?
    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > kljkkkkkkkkkk said:
    >
    > > Yeah, it looks like a hoax to me, your ISP would never say that.

    > You look like you are talking out of your arse.
    > Providers *do* warn you when your limit is being reached.
    > Hotmail most certainly do.
    >
    > > "Jumbo" <> wrote in message
    > >> Could it have been one of those nasty email viruses floating around?

    Here's
    > >> what I recieved. Maybe others have gotten the same. Come to think of

    it I
    > >> think it is a hoax because the "TO" address had "none" there instead of

    my
    > >> actual address.
    > >>
    > >> Your mailbox is over the high water mark.
    > >> Please delete some messages from your mailbox!
    > >>

    > >> "kljkkkkkkkkkk" <> wrote

    in

    kljkkkkkkkkkk, Sep 29, 2003
  8. Jumbo

    Miggsee Guest

    Make sure that you do no have copies stored on the server for a long period
    of time. Tools > Accounts > Double-click your mail account > Advanced >
    Delivery.

    Miggsee, Sep 29, 2003
  9. Jumbo

    Brian H¹© Guest

    kljkkkkkkkkkk said:

    > Was I being hostile in any way?

    Not hostile, but clueless perhaps.

    Brian H¹©, Sep 29, 2003
  10. Jumbo

    Jumbo Guest

    First of all, what would prompt my ISP to tell me that my email is almost
    full. My Inbox is all but empty. All the other standard folders (drafts,
    delete, sent) are almost empty. I do keep alot of messages but they are
    stored in user created folders which somebody told me was taking up
    harddrive space and not server space.

    Any clues???

    Jumbo, Sep 29, 2003
  11. Jumbo wrote:
    > First of all, what would prompt my ISP to tell me that my email is
    > almost full. My Inbox is all but empty.

    Your Inbox only contains messages that you have downloaded from your ISP's
    server. if you have set your email client to leave a copy of messages on the
    server, then all you are doing is downloading a copy of the message, the
    original is still sitting on the ISP's server. All the other folders you
    have are local, and have nothing to do with what is sitting on the server,
    unless you are using MAPI or hotmail or some other HTTPS form of mail.

    --
    Google is your Friend
    gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk

    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Sep 29, 2003
  12. Jumbo

    Jumbo Guest

    I called up my ISP and they told me that I'm OK....I don't keep a copy on
    the server. It could have been a mix-up or something.

    Jumbo, Sep 29, 2003
  13. Jumbo

    Buffalo Guest

    "Jumbo" <> wrote in message
    > I just received an email from my ISP saying that my mail storage is above
    > the high-water mark. Therefore I have to start deleting some stuff.
    > However, I still want to keep everything. I know that if I compact all
    > folders it creates a backup of some sort. If I do that, then can I delete
    > all my email in my folders and do a retrieve afterwards of the compacted
    > folders. Or will I lose everything.
    >
    > Anyways, what I'm asking is how do I safely back everything up so that I

    can
    > retrieve it again afterwards.

    IMHO,
    It is probably the copies that you are leaving with the server.
    While in OE, click on Tools,Accounts,Mail,Properties,Advanced and see it the
    line (near the bottom) about leaving a copy on the server.
    The ISP could care less about how much email you have stored in OE, they are
    just concerned about the amt they store for you.

    Buffalo, Sep 29, 2003
  14. Jumbo

    Jumbo Guest

    Yup...I check that property and I am definitely not keeping a copy of my
    mail on my server.

    Jumbo, Sep 29, 2003