    ~Beowulf

    --
    "It said it needed Windows98 or better installed, so I installed Linux."
    Beowulf, Aug 6, 2004

  2. Beowulf

    Skip M Guest

    "Beowulf" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > I shot digital photos today with my Canon 10D, of a model with silver
    > paint all over her body. But the photos came out so she is not exactly
    > silver, likely I have the color temp setting wrong for my camera. What can
    > I do with Photoshop, etc. (I use GIMP) to correct this -- will simply
    > changing the color hue or balance suffice? Other ideas? Downloading
    > photos from my camera as I type this so all I have seen are thumbnails so
    > far.
    > ~Beowulf
    >
    > --
    > "It said it needed Windows98 or better installed, so I installed Linux."

    One thing I've found is that the 10D thinks that 4400K is daylight rather
    than the generally accepted 5400K.
    Try shifting the cyan in PShop about 16%, that might help.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Aug 6, 2004

  3. Beowulf

    Beowulf Guest

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 12:04:49 -0700, Skip M wrote:
    > One thing I've found is that the 10D thinks that 4400K is daylight rather
    > than the generally accepted 5400K.
    > Try shifting the cyan in PShop about 16%, that might help.

    I was shooting with 500W Tungsten lighting only (no sunlight, no flash)--
    what temp would that be (Not sure what temp to set the camera at for
    tungsten. And then what about sunlight with flash tungsten fill lighting?

    --
    "It said it needed Windows98 or better installed, so I installed Linux."
    Beowulf, Aug 6, 2004
  4. r u not using RAW?

    Maybe the RAW software will allow such a tweak

    Or there is always the amazing - incredible - Dr Brown's plugin

    It is amazing - it is incredible -

    Arts

    Arty Phacting, Aug 6, 2004
  5. Beowulf

    Skip M Guest

    "Beowulf" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 12:04:49 -0700, Skip M wrote:
    > ..
    > > One thing I've found is that the 10D thinks that 4400K is daylight

    rather
    > > than the generally accepted 5400K.
    > > Try shifting the cyan in PShop about 16%, that might help.

    > I was shooting with 500W Tungsten lighting only (no sunlight, no flash)--
    > what temp would that be (Not sure what temp to set the camera at for
    > tungsten. And then what about sunlight with flash tungsten fill lighting?
    >

    > --
    > "It said it needed Windows98 or better installed, so I installed Linux."

    That's probably more like 3200K, but you should use custom WB in the future.
    Get something pure white, put it under those lights, and set your WB from
    that. Sunlight and flash are very close to the same temp, I don't know of a
    "flash tungsten" fill, but there is a "flash" setting in the WB selections,
    as there is a "tungsten" setting there, too. I've found the tungsten WB to
    be a little warm, but you may not.
    Skip M, Aug 7, 2004
  6. Beowulf

    Sabineellen Guest

    Are you sure your monitor is calibrated? You ought to check this before you
    fiddle with the image itself.
    Sabineellen, Aug 7, 2004
  7. Beowulf

    Skip M Guest

    "Sabineellen" <> wrote in message

    > Are you sure your monitor is calibrated? You ought to check this before

    you
    > fiddle with the image itself.

    What does this have to do with anything? If the review on the camera, and
    the final print match the monitor, whether it's calibrated or not is moot.
    What I was doing was relating my experience with the camera. If yours is
    different, share it.

    Skip M, Aug 7, 2004
  8. "Beowulf" <> wrote in message
    > I shot digital photos today with my Canon 10D, of a model with silver
    > paint all over her body. But the photos came out so she is not exactly
    > silver, likely I have the color temp setting wrong for my camera. What can
    > I do with Photoshop, etc. (I use GIMP) to correct this -- will simply
    > changing the color hue or balance suffice? Other ideas? Downloading
    > photos from my camera as I type this so all I have seen are thumbnails so
    > far.
    > ~Beowulf
    >
    > --
    > "It said it needed Windows98 or better installed, so I installed Linux."

    Paint Shop Pro has a color balance app that lets you dial in a color
    temperature and see the result on the photo. You can pick an appropriate
    temperature by trial. I imagne Photoshop has something similar.
    Marvin Margoshes, Aug 7, 2004
  9. Beowulf

    Frank ess Guest

    Marvin Margoshes wrote:
    > "Beowulf" <> wrote in message
    >> I shot digital photos today with my Canon 10D, of a model with silver
    >> paint all over her body. But the photos came out so she is not
    >> exactly silver, likely I have the color temp setting wrong for my
    >> camera. What can I do with Photoshop, etc. (I use GIMP) to correct
    >> this -- will simply changing the color hue or balance suffice? Other
    >> ideas? Downloading photos from my camera as I type this so all I
    >> have seen are thumbnails so far.
    >> ~Beowulf
    >>
    >> --
    >> "It said it needed Windows98 or better installed, so I installed
    >> Linux."
    >>

    > Paint Shop Pro has a color balance app that lets you dial in a color
    > temperature and see the result on the photo. You can pick an
    > appropriate temperature by trial. I imagne Photoshop has something
    > similar.

    I'd use sliders in the equivalent of Photo Shop's Levels Red, Green,
    Blue channels to lose the tint (since I'm going to be there anyway) as a
    first try.

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Aug 7, 2004
  10. Beowulf

    Mike Henley Guest

    "Skip M" <> wrote in message news:<A26Rc.12016$ih.690@fed1read07>...
    > "Sabineellen" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Are you sure your monitor is calibrated? You ought to check this before

    > you
    > > fiddle with the image itself.

    > What does this have to do with anything? If the review on the camera, and
    > the final print match the monitor, whether it's calibrated or not is moot.
    > What I was doing was relating my experience with the camera. If yours is
    > different, share it.

    I was responding to this and I assumed he saw the thumbnails on the monitor

    Mike Henley, Aug 7, 2004
  11. Beowulf

    jpc Guest

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 12:35:23 -0500, Beowulf <>
    wrote:

    >I shot digital photos today with my Canon 10D, of a model with silver
    >paint all over her body. But the photos came out so she is not exactly
    >silver, likely I have the color temp setting wrong for my camera. What can
    >I do with Photoshop, etc. (I use GIMP) to correct this -- will simply
    >changing the color hue or balance suffice? Other ideas? Downloading
    >photos from my camera as I type this so all I have seen are thumbnails so
    >far.
    > ~Beowulf

    I'd imagine shooting a silver painted model is like shooting snow. You
    can't rely on the camera's autoexposure calculation because it will
    pick an exposure that will turn the snow neutral grey. Next time I'd
    shoot in raw mode (preferable) or bracket my shots to get the right
    degree of overexposure.

    jpc
    jpc, Aug 8, 2004