    Is the pass mark for the test also 80%. Do I need to research anything else
    before the test or only the book and CD? Any help/advice much appreciated!!!

    Cheers
    p7t14, Aug 3, 2007

  2. p7t14

    TheITGirl Guest

    "p7t14" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've bought the self paced book from Microsoft for the test 70-271 and
    > have
    > just read through it. The CD with it is great. I've been practising for
    > few weeks using the practise questions from this CD. It took me a few
    > weeks
    > to start passing these tests. If I book the test for the end of the
    > month,
    > do you think I will pass. Is the test very similar to these practise
    > tests?
    > Is the pass mark for the test also 80%. Do I need to research anything
    > else
    > before the test or only the book and CD? Any help/advice much
    > appreciated!!!
    >
    > Cheers

    How long is a piece of string?

    Seriously, it depends on how well prepared you are. Do you have any
    practical experience troubleshooting Windows XP?

    I found the actual test questions similar in difficulty to the ones on the
    CD. However, no single source, not even the Microsoft Press books, cover
    all the potential topics you could be asked about in the exam. I would
    therefore recommend you purchase a second book, such as the Exam Cram (this
    also comes with its own practice test CD) to plug the gaps.

    Best wishes

    IT Girl MCDST
    TheITGirl, Aug 3, 2007

  3. "TheITGirl" <> wrote in message

    > "p7t14" <> wrote in message
    > > I've bought the self paced book from Microsoft for the test 70-271 and
    > > have
    > > just read through it. The CD with it is great. I've been practising for
    > > few weeks using the practise questions from this CD. It took me a few
    > > weeks
    > > to start passing these tests. If I book the test for the end of the
    > > month,
    > > do you think I will pass. Is the test very similar to these practise
    > > tests?
    > > Is the pass mark for the test also 80%. Do I need to research anything
    > > else
    > > before the test or only the book and CD? Any help/advice much
    > > appreciated!!!
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > >

    > How long is a piece of string?
    >
    > Seriously, it depends on how well prepared you are. Do you have any
    > practical experience troubleshooting Windows XP?
    >
    > I found the actual test questions similar in difficulty to the ones on the
    > CD. However, no single source, not even the Microsoft Press books, cover
    > all the potential topics you could be asked about in the exam. I would
    > therefore recommend you purchase a second book, such as the Exam Cram (this
    > also comes with its own practice test CD) to plug the gaps.
    >
    > Best wishes
    >
    > IT Girl MCDST

    My crystal ball is wore out. I blame MotoChick.

    I have to agree with my esteemed colleague here. We cannot tell you if
    you are ready to take the exam. Your experience in the technology, your
    confidence in your abilities, and your ability under pressure to display
    that knowledge during exam time determine your pass or fail status. Good
    luck.
    --
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST
    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Aug 3, 2007
  4. p7t14

    Jo Guest

    I didn't "wear out" your crystal ball - I simply shattered it !!! Anyway, I
    thought you said you traded it in for an eight ball....anybody got an idea as
    to what to get Michael for Christmas?! Oh, I can see the boxes arriving
    now... :^)
    --
    Motochick

    Jo, Aug 7, 2007
  5. p7t14

    Montreal MCT Guest

    I was going to get him some tea leaves... nobody else better beat me to it!

    (and I even get to drink the tea!)

    --
    Mitch Garvis, MCT
    MCSA, MCITP, MCDST, MCTS

    Montreal MCT, Aug 7, 2007
  6. p7t14

    Mauricio Guest

    I recently passed 271.
    I used a software named Transcender for testing and questions.
    I found the transcender questions too much harder than the CDkit questions.
    But that worked for me.
    I believe that the CDkit doesn't offer a enough good challenge.

    That are my thoughts.
    Mauricio, Aug 7, 2007
  7. "Montreal MCT" <> wrote in message

    > I was going to get him some tea leaves... nobody else better beat me to it!
    >
    > (and I even get to drink the tea!)
    >
    > --
    > Mitch Garvis, MCT
    > MCSA, MCITP, MCDST, MCTS
    > Microsoft MVP: Windows Server - Customer Experience
    > Visit my blog at http://blog.mitchgarvis.com
    > "Jo" <> wrote in message
    > >I didn't "wear out" your crystal ball - I simply shattered it !!! Anyway,
    > > thought you said you traded it in for an eight ball....anybody got an idea
    > > as
    > > to what to get Michael for Christmas?! Oh, I can see the boxes arriving
    > > now... :^)
    > > --
    > > Motochick

    I actually tea... Send away! BTW, Thank You for the gift card Jo. It
    arrived today!

    --
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST
    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Aug 7, 2007
  8. p7t14

    RemoteShark Guest

    Certification is about experience. Anyone can read a book and answer
    questions from it. Thats not what Microsoft is asking for. The practise
    questions are just a guide. What you need to do is make sure you have the
    knowledge and experience on the techology you are learning and the more you
    dig into it, the better chance you have on passing. If you dont have the
    experience, then you shouldnt be entitled to the certification. Like driving
    a car. I can tell you about my experiences of driving a car but unless you
    have sat and drove in the car yourself, you will never ever ever understand
    it and never pass your driving test. Maybe taking the test and failing it is
    a good way to find out. At the end of the day you should always be prepared
    to fail in order to learn. Taking the fear out of the situation. Failing isnt
    failing... like the rest of the world thinks it is. The only attitude you
    should have is getting the cert by any means legally. if you are a
    braindumper then you belong to the residential trash collectors.

    RemoteShark MCP

    RemoteShark, Aug 8, 2007
  9. p7t14

    Jo Guest

    Well written Shark !!!!
    --
    Motochick

    Jo, Aug 8, 2007
  10. "Jo" <> wrote in message

    > Well written Shark !!!!
    > --
    > Motochick
    >

    > "RemoteShark" wrote:
    >
    > > Certification is about experience. Anyone can read a book and answer
    > > questions from it. Thats not what Microsoft is asking for. The practise
    > > questions are just a guide. What you need to do is make sure you have the
    > > knowledge and experience on the techology you are learning and the more you
    > > dig into it, the better chance you have on passing. If you dont have the
    > > experience, then you shouldnt be entitled to the certification. Like driving
    > > a car. I can tell you about my experiences of driving a car but unless you
    > > have sat and drove in the car yourself, you will never ever ever understand
    > > it and never pass your driving test. Maybe taking the test and failing it is
    > > a good way to find out. At the end of the day you should always be prepared
    > > to fail in order to learn. Taking the fear out of the situation. Failing isnt
    > > failing... like the rest of the world thinks it is. The only attitude you
    > > should have is getting the cert by any means legally. if you are a
    > > braindumper then you belong to the residential trash collectors.
    > >
    > > RemoteShark MCP
    > >
    > > "p7t14" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I've bought the self paced book from Microsoft for the test 70-271 and have
    > > > just read through it. The CD with it is great. I've been practising for a
    > > > few weeks using the practise questions from this CD. It took me a few weeks
    > > > to start passing these tests. If I book the test for the end of the month,
    > > > do you think I will pass. Is the test very similar to these practise tests?
    > > > Is the pass mark for the test also 80%. Do I need to research anything else
    > > > before the test or only the book and CD? Any help/advice much appreciated!!!
    > > >
    > > > Cheers

    It was a copy and paste of one of my old posts. $5 for that one Shark
    :)

    --
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST
    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Aug 8, 2007