How difficult are each MSCD.NET exams?

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by Rigoberto Calleja Cervantes, Jul 3, 2003.

  1. Hi a group of workmates are planning to get the MCSD.NET
    certification by taking the exams listed below. I would
    like to help them by providing a strategy to choose the
    exam taking order. Can anyone help me by providing
    suggestions about that strategy? Is the relative
    difficulty level (take easiest exams first) a good idea?
    Has anyone taken any of these exams and help me to know
    the relative difficulty level among them? Thanks a lot in
    advance!

    Exam 70-305: Developing and Implementing Web Applications
    with Microsoft Visual Basic® .NET and Microsoft Visual
    Studio® .NET
    Exam 70-306: Developing and Implementing Windows®-based
    Applications with Microsoft Visual Basic .NET and
    Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    Exam 70-310: Developing XML Web Services and Server
    Components with Microsoft Visual Basic .NET and the
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Exam 70-300: Analyzing Requirements and Defining
    Microsoft .NET Solution Architectures
    Exam 70-230: Designing and Implementing Solutions with
    Microsoft BizTalk® Server 2000 Enterprise Edition

    Rigoberto Calleja Cervantes, Jul 3, 2003

  2. I have passed the C# version of some of these exams, except for 70-300
    (failed the beta).

    I would recommend you take them in this order:

    The 306 Windows exam was the easiet for me due to my past expereince with
    Windows Developer. Be prepared for new windows development features only
    avaiable with .NET such as playing a window's Opacity setting.

    The 305 exam will be tougher with questions on the web.config,
    machine.config, security and internationalization. Besure you understand how
    events are passed between user controls and the ASPX pages.

    The 310 exam is tougher yet with COM+ component management and versioning of
    ..NET components. You also be asked about remoting - which is something that
    is brand new and you may/may not have played with this yet. Apress has a
    great book on this subject.

    I enjoyed the 300 case study exam for the challenge. Taking this exam, I
    would try an answer, realize it wasn't right, and fiddle with it until it
    seemed right to me. The beta had a lot of bugs. This one will be fun (for
    me) to take it again.

    The 230 exam had a lower than average passing score but did not include
    anything about .NET. It was entirely COM based and MSMQ based. I only used
    the Help file to study for this.

    Depending on how much test-taking expereince your team has, I believe taking
    easier exams is the right move. The more important thing is to not become
    discouraged if anyone fails. Study the weak areas and try again until you
    pass them. Most questions come from MSDN or the associated help files. Study
    them!

    Another tip: if you guys want to see what the questions are like, buy
    Transcender practice exams.

    Good luck to your team.

    Davin Mickelson
    MCP+SB, MCAD (C#), MCSD (VS6), MCSA

    "Rigoberto Calleja Cervantes" <> wrote
    in message news:0b9001c3417d$04e352b0$...

    Davin Mickelson, Jul 3, 2003

  3. FWIW, I thought 70-300 was the easiest of the five exams, as it is the least
    technical. It's mostly just a test of reading comprehension. I agree that
    you should take it after the other exams, so that you'll have the necessary
    background technical info.

    -- Kris

    Kristopher Johnson, Jul 15, 2003
  4. Rigoberto Calleja Cervantes

    mpopovits Guest

    If 70-300 is the easiest than I wonder why more people have posted in
    this group that they have failed (some more than once) this exam
    whereas very few have posted that they failed the other .NET exams.
    Any thoughts?

    -Michelle

    mpopovits, Jul 15, 2003
  5. While I found this exam easier than the others, I think it has a lot to do
    with one's background and how one prepares.

    I've been a real-life "architect" for about 10 years, so I've had plenty of
    experience with analyzing requirements, drawing diagrams, creating database
    schemas, etc. Somebody who has never done these things may have a lot of
    trouble. If you have done these things, then all you need to know is the
    terminology used in the Microsoft Solutions Framework.

    In many ways, 70-300 is just a reading comprehension exam. For each
    question, the answer(s) can be found by simply going back to the appropriate
    part of the case study. I suspect some people fail because they just don't
    read the case studies closely enough, or try to address issues that are not
    contained in the case studies. There is not a whole lot of "thinking" on
    this exam, nor any of the rote-memorization testing as found on other exams.

    The Exam Cram 2 book for 70-300 was great. It focused exactly on things
    that came up on the exam. In contrast, the MS Self-Paced Training Kit had
    very little to do with the exam.

    -- Kris

    Kristopher Johnson, Jul 15, 2003
  6. Rigoberto Calleja Cervantes

    mpopovits Guest

    That makes sense. I've also been developing and designing applications
    for many years (PowerBuilder, J2EE). Over the years I have done a
    significant amount of study in the area of uml, process, and design as
    well as have the J2EE Enterprise Architect certification. I have just
    finished chapter 3 of the exam cram book and so far it's just review and
    picking up a few new terms. I suppose the rest of the book will follow
    a similar pattern for me. Had I read this book ten years ago my
    reaction might have been different.

    Thanks for your comments.

    -Michelle

    mpopovits, Jul 15, 2003