How did I access the internet with my modem powered down? Strange event...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mark C, Feb 25, 2009.

  1. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    I seemed to have accessed the internet while my ADSL modem was
    switched off at the wall.

    It is puzzling and very perturbing!

    I have a laptop with ethernet only and no Wifi, connected to an
    ethernet switch connected to an ADSL modem connected to the phone
    line.

    A bit before 7pm the power went out (1). The lines company says
    "birdstrike". I switch off the laptop and the modem at the wall in
    case of a spike when the power comes back on. The laptop remains on,
    powered by the battery.

    ~30 minutes later, the power comes back, and I leave the laptop as is
    and leave the power switches at the wall turned off and get on with
    cooking dinner.

    At 9:50pm (2) I open the laptop and do a google search for "mac wine"
    which shows a page of results (no indication that the internet is
    disconnected).

    At 9:52pm (3) I launch Xnews which displays my subscribed groups and
    updates the article totals (no indication that the internet is
    disconnected).
    I open nz.comp, open previous post (PC Builder recommendations?) and
    compose a reply.

    At ~9:53 (4) I open the Paradigm PCs website build status page to
    confirm what parts I've ordered for the usenet post. It asks me for
    my email and invoice ID and redirects me to the page that displays
    the invoice (no indication that the internet is disconnected).

    At ~9:55 (5) My laptop tells me the battery is getting low and I
    should plug it in.

    I look at the wall power sockets and both the laptop and modem/switch
    are still turned off at the wall.
    I click the switches on and look at my modem status lights, which are
    now flashing red as the modem boots.

    !! How did I access the internet while the modem was powered off? !!

    Mark

    (1) My ISP usage page shows my connection stopped 6:49:41.

    (2) Nirsoft IEHistoryView, which shows the IE browser history, shows
    a google search for "mac wine" at 9:50:00 pm. (The "Hits" column
    indicates I might have visited this search result before, but I have
    no recollection of ever having done so, and no reason to have
    searched for that before and previous and current experience is that
    a google search will fail if there is no internet connection, rather
    than retrieve a previously locally cached search.)

    (3) "dir /t:a" command in the Xnews folder shows Xnews startup at
    9:52pm.

    (4) Nirsoft IEHistoryView showed access to the Paradigm PCs pages at
    ~9:53 (now replaced with a subsequent visit).

    (5) My ISP usage page shows my connection started 9:53:48 (I think
    either my clock or theirs must be out by a few minutes: I sync mine
    up to another PC which is synced up via NTP).
    (It also shows Start-2009-02-24 9:47:39, Stop-9:47:42, Duration-
    00:05:31 which doesn't add up.)

    Mark C, Feb 25, 2009

  2. Mark C

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Mark C" <> wrote in message
    >I seemed to have accessed the internet while my ADSL modem was
    > switched off at the wall.

    *snip*

    > !! How did I access the internet while the modem was powered off? !!

    Then who was phone?

    Nik Coughlin, Feb 25, 2009

  3. Re: How did I access the internet with my modem powered down? Strangeevent...

    Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > "Mark C" <> wrote in message
    >> I seemed to have accessed the internet while my ADSL modem was
    >> switched off at the wall.

    > *snip*
    >
    >> !! How did I access the internet while the modem was powered off? !!

    > Then who was phone?

    LOL!

    For the OP: Are you _sure_ it has no wifi? What happens if you turn
    off your modem now? What else is the switch connected to?

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Feb 25, 2009
  4. Mark C

    Richard Guest

    Mark C wrote:
    > I seemed to have accessed the internet while my ADSL modem was
    > switched off at the wall.

    Dialup thru your cellphone set up at all?>

    Richard, Feb 25, 2009
  5. Mark C

    Your Name Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Mark C wrote:
    > > I seemed to have accessed the internet while my ADSL modem was
    > > switched off at the wall.

    > Dialup thru your cellphone set up at all?

    More likely it simply pulled old data from the history / cache. :)

    Your Name, Feb 25, 2009
  6. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    Re: How did I access the internet with my modem powered down? Strange event...

    Nicholas Sherlock <> wrote in
    com:

    > For the OP: Are you _sure_ it has no wifi? What happens if you
    > turn off your modem now? What else is the switch connected to?

    Absolutely sure it has no wifi (12 year old Toshiba Tecra 550 CDT).

    Immediately after the strangeness (and just now again as a test) when
    I turn off the power at the wall, IE times out and attempts to
    display auto.search.msn.com/... instead which times out to "The page
    cannot be displayed...Cannot find server or DNS Error"

    Even if IE caching explained the google search and the Paradigm
    invoice lookup, it can't explain the Xnews usenet access!

    The switch is connected to this laptop, the ADSL router and another
    PC which was also turned off at the wall and which doesn't have a
    (56K) modem or wifi.

    Thanks,
    --
    Mark

    Mark C, Feb 25, 2009
  7. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    Richard <> wrote in

    > Mark C wrote:
    >> I seemed to have accessed the internet while my ADSL modem was
    >> switched off at the wall.

    > Dialup thru your cellphone set up at all?>

    I don't have a cellphone. The laptop has a (56K) modem, but that was
    not plugged in to the phone line and is not set to auto-dial anyway.

    Thanks,
    --
    Mark

    Mark C, Feb 25, 2009
  8. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    "Your Name" <> wrote in

    > "Richard" <> wrote in message
    >> Mark C wrote:
    >> > I seemed to have accessed the internet while my ADSL modem
    >> > was switched off at the wall.

    >> Dialup thru your cellphone set up at all?

    > More likely it simply pulled old data from the history / cache.
    > :)

    That's what I hoped, but a subsequent test shows IE times out instead
    and displays an error page. My experience is that google searches
    aren't retrieved from the IR cache.

    The Paradigm invoice lookup was a webpage GET followed by an HTML
    form POST. Can HTML POSTs even be cached locally?

    And what about the Xnews usenet access?
    Xnews can be configured to store articles locally, but I have not
    done so, and even if it had, I would have got an error message
    retrieving message counts and retrieving new posts from nz.comp.

    (I do hope there is an explanation, because otherwise I may need to
    become a monk!)

    Mark C, Feb 25, 2009
  9. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    "Your Name" <> wrote in

    > "Richard" <> wrote in message
    >> Mark C wrote:
    >> > I seemed to have accessed the internet while my ADSL modem
    >> > was switched off at the wall.

    >> Dialup thru your cellphone set up at all?

    > More likely it simply pulled old data from the history / cache.
    > :)

    That's what I hoped, but a subsequent test shows IE times out
    instead and displays an error page. My experience is that google
    searches aren't retrieved from the IE cache.

    Mark C, Feb 25, 2009
  10. Mark C

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mark C wrote:
    > I seemed to have accessed the internet while my ADSL modem was
    > switched off at the wall.
    >
    > It is puzzling and very perturbing!
    >
    > I have a laptop with ethernet only and no Wifi, connected to an
    > ethernet switch connected to an ADSL modem connected to the phone
    > line.

    Not to be an arse but are you sure that your laptop has no WiFi? I don't see
    another explaination except you piggybacked someone else's WiFi.

    Or God did it.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Feb 25, 2009
  11. Mark C

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Mark C wrote:
    > I seemed to have accessed the internet while my ADSL modem was
    > switched off at the wall.
    >
    > It is puzzling and very perturbing!
    >
    > I have a laptop with ethernet only and no Wifi, connected to an
    > ethernet switch connected to an ADSL modem connected to the phone
    > line.
    >
    > A bit before 7pm the power went out (1). The lines company says
    > "birdstrike". I switch off the laptop and the modem at the wall in
    > case of a spike when the power comes back on. The laptop remains on,
    > powered by the battery.
    >
    > ~30 minutes later, the power comes back, and I leave the laptop as is
    > and leave the power switches at the wall turned off and get on with
    > cooking dinner.
    >
    > At 9:50pm (2) I open the laptop and do a google search for "mac wine"
    > which shows a page of results (no indication that the internet is
    > disconnected).
    >
    > At 9:52pm (3) I launch Xnews which displays my subscribed groups and
    > updates the article totals (no indication that the internet is
    > disconnected).
    > I open nz.comp, open previous post (PC Builder recommendations?) and
    > compose a reply.
    >
    > At ~9:53 (4) I open the Paradigm PCs website build status page to
    > confirm what parts I've ordered for the usenet post. It asks me for
    > my email and invoice ID and redirects me to the page that displays
    > the invoice (no indication that the internet is disconnected).
    >
    > At ~9:55 (5) My laptop tells me the battery is getting low and I
    > should plug it in.
    >
    > I look at the wall power sockets and both the laptop and modem/switch
    > are still turned off at the wall.
    > I click the switches on and look at my modem status lights, which are
    > now flashing red as the modem boots.
    >
    > !! How did I access the internet while the modem was powered off? !!

    That's easy. Your modem was possessed.

    Gib Bogle, Feb 26, 2009
  12. Mark C

    Your Name Guest

    "Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message
    > Mark C wrote:
    > > I seemed to have accessed the internet while my ADSL modem was
    > > switched off at the wall.
    > >
    > > It is puzzling and very perturbing!
    > >
    > > I have a laptop with ethernet only and no Wifi, connected to an
    > > ethernet switch connected to an ADSL modem connected to the phone
    > > line.
    > >
    > > A bit before 7pm the power went out (1). The lines company says
    > > "birdstrike". I switch off the laptop and the modem at the wall in
    > > case of a spike when the power comes back on. The laptop remains on,
    > > powered by the battery.
    > >
    > > ~30 minutes later, the power comes back, and I leave the laptop as is
    > > and leave the power switches at the wall turned off and get on with
    > > cooking dinner.
    > >
    > > At 9:50pm (2) I open the laptop and do a google search for "mac wine"
    > > which shows a page of results (no indication that the internet is
    > > disconnected).
    > >
    > > At 9:52pm (3) I launch Xnews which displays my subscribed groups and
    > > updates the article totals (no indication that the internet is
    > > disconnected).
    > > I open nz.comp, open previous post (PC Builder recommendations?) and
    > > compose a reply.
    > >
    > > At ~9:53 (4) I open the Paradigm PCs website build status page to
    > > confirm what parts I've ordered for the usenet post. It asks me for
    > > my email and invoice ID and redirects me to the page that displays
    > > the invoice (no indication that the internet is disconnected).
    > >
    > > At ~9:55 (5) My laptop tells me the battery is getting low and I
    > > should plug it in.
    > >
    > > I look at the wall power sockets and both the laptop and modem/switch
    > > are still turned off at the wall.
    > > I click the switches on and look at my modem status lights, which are
    > > now flashing red as the modem boots.
    > >
    > > !! How did I access the internet while the modem was powered off? !!

    > That's easy. Your modem was possessed.

    Nah. It's just typical Microsloth never obeying the standardised rules set
    by everyone else. Exploiter can't find an Internet connection, so it makes
    up web pages by itself. ;-)

    Your Name, Feb 26, 2009