How delete protected XP registry entry?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Will, Dec 9, 2005.

  1. Will

    Will Guest

    Am running XP Pro. I have administrator rights.

    I installed a utility (PC Mag's Context Edit). When I try to run
    that utility I get a message saying says the program cannot access a
    certain registry key:

    Could not obtain KEY_QUERY_VALUE access to
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\??a???_auto_file

    When I look for this key in the registry I can find it but it is
    protected.

    What can I do?

    Reinstalling the utility does not help.

    (1) Maybe I can delete the protected key so I can do another re-
    install and hopefully a non-protected key will be created.

    (2) Or maybe I should somehow give the program access to the
    protected key?
    Will, Dec 9, 2005

  2. Will

    Donnie Guest

    "Will" <> wrote in message
    > Am running XP Pro. I have administrator rights.
    >
    > I installed a utility (PC Mag's Context Edit). When I try to run
    > that utility I get a message saying says the program cannot access a
    > certain registry key:
    >
    > Could not obtain KEY_QUERY_VALUE access to
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\??a???_auto_file
    >
    > When I look for this key in the registry I can find it but it is
    > protected.
    >
    > What can I do?
    >
    > Reinstalling the utility does not help.
    >
    > (1) Maybe I can delete the protected key so I can do another re-
    > install and hopefully a non-protected key will be created.
    >
    > (2) Or maybe I should somehow give the program access to the
    > protected key?

    #########################
    Before you try those things, look at any .ini files that the program may
    have created. A corrupted .ini file could be causing that error. I had
    something like that happen w/ some proprietary mortgage software. For some
    reason, white spaces in any other part of the ini file except before a
    bracketed heading would cause an exception. Something similar may be
    happening to you. Also look for any references to that key.
    donnie
    Donnie, Dec 9, 2005

  3. Will

    nemo_outis Guest

    "Donnie" <> wrote in

    > "Will" <> wrote in message
    >> Am running XP Pro. I have administrator rights.
    >>
    >> I installed a utility (PC Mag's Context Edit). When I try to run
    >> that utility I get a message saying says the program cannot access a
    >> certain registry key:
    >>
    >> Could not obtain KEY_QUERY_VALUE access to
    >> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\??a???_auto_file
    >>
    >> When I look for this key in the registry I can find it but it is
    >> protected.
    >>
    >> What can I do?
    >>
    >> Reinstalling the utility does not help.
    >>
    >> (1) Maybe I can delete the protected key so I can do another re-
    >> install and hopefully a non-protected key will be created.
    >>
    >> (2) Or maybe I should somehow give the program access to the
    >> protected key?

    > #########################
    > Before you try those things, look at any .ini files that the program
    > may have created. A corrupted .ini file could be causing that error.
    > I had something like that happen w/ some proprietary mortgage
    > software. For some reason, white spaces in any other part of the ini
    > file except before a bracketed heading would cause an exception.
    > Something similar may be happening to you. Also look for any
    > references to that key. donnie

    There are a number of possible explanations. One tool that may help with
    one particular type of problem is RegDelNull, available (along with many
    other excellent tools) from sysinternals:

    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/RegDelNull.html

    Incidentally, the best registry editor by far is Resplendent Registrar,
    available from:

    http://www.resplendence.com/main

    Sadly, it's not free, but it's well worth the money.

    Regards,
    nemo_outis, Dec 9, 2005
  4. Will

    traveler 66 Guest

    On 09 Dec 2005 02:47:05 GMT, nemo_outis wrote:

    > "Donnie" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "Will" <> wrote in message
    >>> Am running XP Pro. I have administrator rights.
    >>>
    >>> I installed a utility (PC Mag's Context Edit). When I try to run
    >>> that utility I get a message saying says the program cannot access a
    >>> certain registry key:
    >>>
    >>> Could not obtain KEY_QUERY_VALUE access to
    >>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\??a???_auto_file
    >>>
    >>> When I look for this key in the registry I can find it but it is
    >>> protected.
    >>>
    >>> What can I do?
    >>>
    >>> Reinstalling the utility does not help.
    >>>
    >>> (1) Maybe I can delete the protected key so I can do another re-
    >>> install and hopefully a non-protected key will be created.
    >>>
    >>> (2) Or maybe I should somehow give the program access to the
    >>> protected key?

    >> #########################
    >> Before you try those things, look at any .ini files that the program
    >> may have created. A corrupted .ini file could be causing that error.
    >> I had something like that happen w/ some proprietary mortgage
    >> software. For some reason, white spaces in any other part of the ini
    >> file except before a bracketed heading would cause an exception.
    >> Something similar may be happening to you. Also look for any
    >> references to that key. donnie

    > There are a number of possible explanations. One tool that may help with
    > one particular type of problem is RegDelNull, available (along with many
    > other excellent tools) from sysinternals:
    >
    > http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/RegDelNull.html
    >
    > Incidentally, the best registry editor by far is Resplendent Registrar,
    > available from:
    >
    > http://www.resplendence.com/main
    >
    > Sadly, it's not free, but it's well worth the money.
    >
    > Regards,

    Good info nemo, I had no idea they were available, thanks as well.
    traveler 66, Dec 9, 2005