How come my PC can't get to Gmail and google-groups??

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Penang, Oct 27, 2008.

  1. Penang

    Penang Guest

    To all !

    Over this weekend (since last Friday), my computer can't access
    gmail.com and also groups.google.com ! No matter how I tried to access
    these two places, the browser will churn and churn, and then come back
    with an error.

    I can access google.com without any problem tho.

    I can also get into google.com.au and google.co.uk with ease.

    At first I thought that it was gmail at fault. But today, when I
    return to my office, I can get into gmail without any problem. That
    means, it's my PC that is preventing me from accessing gmail.

    Went back home, did a "ping job" - ping www.google.com -f -l 1500 -
    (also on www.google.com.au and www.google.co.uk ) and ping returns the
    ip of 127.0.0.1 !!

    127.0.0.1 supposed to be the virtual loopback interface of a computer
    system, that means, something is terribly wrong with my PC. So I scan
    it for virus / trojan but found NOTHING.

    Dear all,

    Can you please tell me what has gone wrong with my PC??

    Please help !!

    Thank you !!

    PS. I can access all other sites. Only http://groups.google.com and
    http://www.gmail.com return error !

    Penang, Oct 27, 2008

  2. Penang

    amd3200!

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2008
    Messages:
    4
    What browser are you using????
    plz give more info

    amd3200!, Oct 27, 2008

  3. Penang

    Leonard Grey Guest

    Do you think you cross-posted to enough newsgroups?

    Open your Hosts file with Notepad and remove the line that redirects
    those URLs to 127.0.0.1.
    ---
    Leonard Grey
    Errare Humanum Est

    Leonard Grey, Oct 27, 2008
  4. Penang

    Guest

    Penang <> wrote:

    >127.0.0.1 supposed to be the virtual loopback interface of a computer
    >system, that means, something is terribly wrong with my PC. So I scan
    >it for virus / trojan but found NOTHING.

    Had me scared with that statement, and I run a host file.

    Edit this file: X:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    It's a text file, search for and remove Gmail.

    Or replace the HOST file with this one
    http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/hosts

    --

    http://bomomo.com/

    , Oct 27, 2008
  5. Penang

    ShadowTek Guest

    Penang <> wrote in news:98ab87df-fe8a-46bd-a44d-
    :

    > To all !
    >
    > Over this weekend (since last Friday), my computer can't access
    > gmail.com and also groups.google.com ! No matter how I tried to access
    > these two places, the browser will churn and churn, and then come back
    > with an error.
    >
    > I can access google.com without any problem tho.

    I have been having trouble with Google's various services over the past
    several days as well.

    Also, I should point out that I have always seen problems with reusing
    Google's cookies. I would suggest that you only allow them for sinlge
    session usage, or remember to try deleting them when you have problems
    using Google.

    ShadowTek, Oct 27, 2008
  6. Penang

    Ray Parrish Guest

    Yep, sounds like somethings been writing entries into your hosts file
    since those sites return 127.0.0.1 That's what they would return if they
    were set to be blocked in your hosts file.

    Your hosts file can be edited with any text editor, so have a look in
    there and I'm sure you'll find entries for those two sites.

    It is located in the c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc folder.

    However, you also need to address the issue of how the sites got blocked
    in the first place. What wrote those entries to the hosts file?

    The following is a sample hosts file from my system which has no sites
    blocked -

    *start of file*
    # Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

    127.0.0.1 localhost
    *end of file*

    Later, Ray Parrish

    Penang wrote:
    > To all !
    >
    > Over this weekend (since last Friday), my computer can't access
    > gmail.com and also groups.google.com ! No matter how I tried to access
    > these two places, the browser will churn and churn, and then come back
    > with an error.
    >
    > I can access google.com without any problem tho.
    >
    > I can also get into google.com.au and google.co.uk with ease.
    >
    > At first I thought that it was gmail at fault. But today, when I
    > return to my office, I can get into gmail without any problem. That
    > means, it's my PC that is preventing me from accessing gmail.
    >
    > Went back home, did a "ping job" - ping www.google.com -f -l 1500 -
    > (also on www.google.com.au and www.google.co.uk ) and ping returns the
    > ip of 127.0.0.1 !!
    >
    > 127.0.0.1 supposed to be the virtual loopback interface of a computer
    > system, that means, something is terribly wrong with my PC. So I scan
    > it for virus / trojan but found NOTHING.
    >
    > Dear all,
    >
    > Can you please tell me what has gone wrong with my PC??
    >
    > Please help !!
    >
    > Thank you !!
    >
    > PS. I can access all other sites. Only http://groups.google.com and
    > http://www.gmail.com return error !