    This sort of patent abuse would have to be the greatest single threat to
    innovation and technical progress in modern times.

    Peter
    Peter, Nov 9, 2004

  2. Peter wrote:
    > Microsoft is "seeking to enter into cross-licensing deals with the top 30
    > technology companies, so that they can have access to the patents they are
    > most interested in and can offer their customers indemnification from
    > patent infringement lawsuits. How charming. A little club. The "We Are The
    > Only Ones Allowed to Write Software Any More" Club."
    > http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20041107154122603

    > This sort of patent abuse would have to be the greatest single threat to
    > innovation and technical progress in modern times.

    I agree that it is a bit of a bitch... but from a business perspective,
    it is brilliant.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 9, 2004

  3. Peter

    Allistar Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Peter wrote:
    >> Microsoft is "seeking to enter into cross-licensing deals with the top 30
    >> technology companies, so that they can have access to the patents they
    >> are most interested in and can offer their customers indemnification from
    >> patent infringement lawsuits. How charming. A little club. The "We Are
    >> The Only Ones Allowed to Write Software Any More" Club."
    >> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20041107154122603

    >> This sort of patent abuse would have to be the greatest single threat to
    >> innovation and technical progress in modern times.

    > I agree that it is a bit of a bitch... but from a business perspective,
    > it is brilliant.

    Only if you're one of the top 30 technology companies, and especially not if
    you're in software development and NOT in this club.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Nov 9, 2004
  4. Allistar wrote:
    >>>Microsoft is "seeking to enter into cross-licensing deals with the top 30
    >>>technology companies, so that they can have access to the patents they
    >>>are most interested in and can offer their customers indemnification from
    >>>patent infringement lawsuits. How charming. A little club. The "We Are
    >>>The Only Ones Allowed to Write Software Any More" Club."
    >>>http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20041107154122603

    >>>This sort of patent abuse would have to be the greatest single threat to
    >>>innovation and technical progress in modern times.

    >>I agree that it is a bit of a bitch... but from a business perspective,
    >>it is brilliant.

    > Only if you're one of the top 30 technology companies, and especially not if
    > you're in software development and NOT in this club.

    yeah, I should have clarified... I meant from MSs perspective.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 9, 2004
  5. Peter

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 07:28:50 +1300, Peter <>
    wrote:

    >Microsoft is "seeking to enter into cross-licensing deals with the top 30
    >technology companies, so that they can have access to the patents they are
    >most interested in and can offer their customers indemnification from
    >patent infringement lawsuits. How charming. A little club. The "We Are The
    >Only Ones Allowed to Write Software Any More" Club."
    >http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20041107154122603
    >
    >This sort of patent abuse would have to be the greatest single threat to
    >innovation and technical progress in modern times.
    >

    >Peter

    I read somewhere, might have been in November APC mag, that Microsoft
    are registering 30 patents a day. With Australia signing a free trade
    agreement with US, Aussie laws coming into line with US copy laws,
    Aussie software writers are nervous about patent infringement action
    by Microsoft. They are probably shaping up to attack Linux when more
    countries come into line with US laws.
    GraB, Nov 9, 2004
  6. Peter

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message

    <snip more ranting crap>

    > This sort of patent abuse would have to be the greatest single threat to
    > innovation and technical progress in modern times.

    Really?
    From the article quoted:
    "Microsoft also is rapidly trying to boost its presence among the elite in
    the patent filing world. The software giant, which holds less than 4,000
    patents, plans to file 3,000 applications for patents this year alone."

    http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/awards/patents.html
    "During the past 11 years, IBM innovations have generated more than 25,000
    US patents -- nearly triple the total of any US IT competitor during this
    time, and surpassing the combined totals for Hewlett-Packard, Dell,
    Microsoft, Sun, Oracle, Intel, Apple, EMC, Accenture, and EDS."

    Don't let the chance to have an unsubstantiated bash at Microsoft get in the
    way of the facts.

    --
    Mr Scebe
    "Pershonally i think you're a fucking idiot"
    Mr Scebe, Nov 10, 2004
  7. Peter

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message

    > I read somewhere, might have been in November APC mag, that Microsoft
    > are registering 30 patents a day.

    Gee, 10000 a year. Twice as many as they've done in their entire existence.
    I think you might need to google some "facts". Or even read the article
    quoted, where it said they wanted to patent 4000 this year, or just over 10
    a day.

    >With Australia signing a free trade
    > agreement with US, Aussie laws coming into line with US copy laws,
    > Aussie software writers are nervous about patent infringement action
    > by Microsoft.

    Wank, wank wank. Do you think that "Aussie software writers" (of which the
    overwhelming majority work for American multinationals anyway) are worried
    about infringing IBM copyright?

    Mr Scebe, Nov 10, 2004