How can you tell if there is any audio content in the subwoofer channel?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Ian Hoyle, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Ian Hoyle

    Ian Hoyle Guest

    Hi,

    I'm somewhat confused about whether or not my DVD player is working
    correctly.

    I have a (aging) ProLogic amp with 6 channel input (ie I need to use
    an external decoding source), so I recently purchased a Philips
    DVD727K since this has 6 channel out + AC3 & DTS onboard decoding.

    My sub is working fine - ProLogic decoded stereo rumbles away just
    nicely.

    I just watched Terminator 3 in DTS and in those parts of the movie
    that used the LFE channel, it too seemed OK.

    BUT, I just watched "Legally Blond 2" in Dolby Digital and the
    subwoofer didn't cut in once. It seemed like that channel was empty
    (for want of a better description). Is there any way of knowing
    whether a particular DVD title has anything recorded on the .1
    channel?? (since I was used to the sub being active almost continually
    on ProLogic decoded content). Does this DVD title (Legally Blonde 2)
    utilise the subwoofer channel?

    So, I'm in a dilemma. Is my DVD player functioning correctly? Is DTS
    working OK, but Dolby Digital decoding stuffed?? Is this a known fault
    with this particular player?

    Or ..... did I just get unlucky and pick a DVD with no low frequency
    content :) (I somehow doubt it)

    Ian

    Ian Hoyle, Feb 19, 2004