    manage? What's the best kit? Is there a better approach?

    With thanks in anticipation,

    Stephen

    Stephen Peterson, Apr 22, 2006

  2. Thus spaketh Stephen Peterson:
    > We have several numbers with Sipgate (so our family can always reach
    > us for the price of a local call) and we use two of them through a
    > Netgear TA612 box, the others through a software phone.
    >
    > We'd now like to have them all on a VoiP phone so we don't have to
    > use the computer. Is there an upper limit to the number of "lines" a
    > voip phone can manage? What's the best kit? Is there a better
    > approach?
    > With thanks in anticipation,
    >
    > Stephen

    Different phones offer different number of accounts at once, some only one
    account, some two or four, some eight or more.

    Though you could just have one number, as for residential customers it costs
    the same to call a number whether it is local or national.

    --
    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
    3p/min & 1p Texts, EasyMobile, For £5 airtime bonus contact via:

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Apr 22, 2006

  3. Stephen Peterson

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
    wrote in message
    > Thus spaketh Stephen Peterson:
    > > We have several numbers with Sipgate (so our family can
    > > always reach us for the price of a local call) and we
    > > use two of them through a Netgear TA612 box, the others
    > > through a software phone. We'd now like to have them all on a VoiP
    > > phone so we
    > > don't have to use the computer. Is there an upper limit
    > > to the number of "lines" a voip phone can manage?
    > > What's the best kit? Is there a better approach?
    > > With thanks in anticipation,
    > >
    > > Stephen

    > Different phones offer different number of accounts at
    > once, some only one account, some two or four, some eight
    > or more.
    > Though you could just have one number, as for residential
    > customers it costs the same to call a number whether it
    > is local or national.

    If you want several accounts (not necessarily with the same provider) all
    accessible from the same phone or phones, there are several routes. Some
    would suggest Asterisk, but personally I think that's a little OTT, it
    certainly requires more than a little knowledge to set up.

    If you want a standalone device, my personal recommendation is one of the
    AVM Fritz!Box range, see www.avm.de/en for info. The ones generally
    available in the UK do contain an ADSL router, so if you're on a cable
    connection you would have to disable this, and you may consider it a waste
    of money. They do make a router/ATA without a modem but it's hard to find
    in this country.

    The one I have has the ADSL modem but no wireless, but the wireless
    version is very similar. It can handle up to 10 SIP accounts from
    different providers, as an example I have 2 UK Sipgate numbers, one German
    Sipgate number and a number from Free World Dialup (which rings with a USA
    number from www.ipkall.com) on mine. It only has 2 phone sockets but the
    numbers can be set to ring either or both of them, you select which one
    you want to dial out on with a prefix code.

    Hope this helps,

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Apr 22, 2006
  4. "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > If you want several accounts (not necessarily with the same provider) all
    > accessible from the same phone or phones, there are several routes. Some
    > would suggest Asterisk, but personally I think that's a little OTT, it
    > certainly requires more than a little knowledge to set up.
    >
    > If you want a standalone device, my personal recommendation is one of the
    > AVM Fritz!Box range, see www.avm.de/en for info. The ones generally
    > available in the UK do contain an ADSL router, so if you're on a cable
    > connection you would have to disable this, and you may consider it a waste
    > of money. They do make a router/ATA without a modem but it's hard to find
    > in this country.
    >
    > The one I have has the ADSL modem but no wireless, but the wireless
    > version is very similar. It can handle up to 10 SIP accounts from
    > different providers, as an example I have 2 UK Sipgate numbers, one German
    > Sipgate number and a number from Free World Dialup (which rings with a USA
    > number from www.ipkall.com) on mine. It only has 2 phone sockets but the
    > numbers can be set to ring either or both of them, you select which one
    > you want to dial out on with a prefix code.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    >
    > Ivor

    That is an extremely useful reply. I shall look into the AVM router/ATA
    which sounds pretty futureproof. Many thanks Ivor.

    Stephen Peterson, Apr 23, 2006
  5. Stephen Peterson

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Stephen Peterson" <> wrote in
    message news:e2fe3j$o66$1$

    [snip]

    > That is an extremely useful reply. I shall look into the
    > AVM router/ATA which sounds pretty futureproof. Many
    > thanks Ivor.

    AFAIK the AVM range are the only standalone devices that can handle more
    accounts than they have phone ports, but I may be wrong. The only gripe I
    have with mine is that the prefix code to select a line other than 1 or 2
    (the 2 phone sockets are automatically connected direct to the first two
    accounts to be set up) don't seem to work if I store them in speed dial,
    so I have to dial them manually each time, which is a bit of a pain, but
    otherwise it's an excellent device and I can't really fault it
    technically.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Apr 23, 2006
  6. Stephen Peterson

    B. Wright Guest

    Ivor Jones <> wrote:

    > "Stephen Peterson" <> wrote in
    > message news:e2fe3j$o66$1$

    > [snip]

    > AFAIK the AVM range are the only standalone devices that can handle more
    > accounts than they have phone ports, but I may be wrong.

    Sipura SPA-1001 only has one port and does two accounts (and
    actually registers them, unlike the SPA-3000 which only does support
    multiple accounts but only outgoing beyond the Line1 and PSTN SIP
    accounts because it doesn't register them). He's looking for a lot
    more than two accounts though I think.

    One option would be to run a Linksys WRT54G (or GS) with the
    modified firmware that has SIP Express Router integrated into it.

    B. Wright, Apr 23, 2006
  7. Stephen Peterson

    Rob Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > AFAIK the AVM range are the only standalone devices that can handle more
    > accounts than they have phone ports, but I may be wrong. The only gripe I
    > have with mine is that the prefix code to select a line other than 1 or 2
    > (the 2 phone sockets are automatically connected direct to the first two
    > accounts to be set up) don't seem to work if I store them in speed dial,
    > so I have to dial them manually each time, which is a bit of a pain, but
    > otherwise it's an excellent device and I can't really fault it
    > technically.

    The DrayTek Vigor 2800V or 2800VG has 2 VoIP ports and can handle up to 6
    accounts, all or any of which can be linked to either or both (or none) of
    the VoIP ports.

    Rob

    Rob, Apr 23, 2006
  8. Stephen Peterson

    Tim Bray Guest

    Stephen Peterson wrote:

    > We'd now like to have them all on a VoiP phone so we don't have to use the
    > computer. Is there an upper limit to the number of "lines" a voip phone can
    > manage? What's the best kit? Is there a better approach?

    A snom320 phone will let you put up 12 accounts on 1 phone.

    If you wanted more than one VoIP phone in house, and to aggregate the
    lines, then an Intertex IX66 or IX66 with SIP switch would do this.

    Tim

    Tim Bray, Apr 24, 2006