    you are "connected". I have Verizon FIOS, for example. But how can the
    computer receive data if it is not powered up?

    Nighjtsky

    Nightsky, Aug 19, 2007

  2. Nightsky

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Nightsky" <> wrote in message
    news:bE2yi.9317$...
    >A Dell support techie suggested my setting Windows Auto Update daily for
    >3am. He said it updates, even if the computer is turned off, as long as you
    >are "connected". I have Verizon FIOS, for example. But how can the
    >computer receive data if it is not powered up?
    >
    > Nighjtsky

    It can't. Did your techie have a funny accent? <g>

    WhzzKdd, Aug 19, 2007

  3. Nightsky

    Vanguard Guest

    "Nightsky" wrote in message
    > A Dell support techie suggested my setting Windows Auto Update daily
    > for 3am. He said it updates, even if the computer is turned off, as
    > long as you are "connected". I have Verizon FIOS, for example. But
    > how can the computer receive data if it is not powered up?

    This tech must also think light bulbs are warm when they are turned
    off.
    When you hit an obvious ignorant tech rep, ask for their supervisor
    and report them.

    Vanguard, Aug 20, 2007
  4. Nightsky

    Rectum Burn Guest

    "Nightsky" <> said in news:bE2yi.9317$3x.2784
    @newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:

    > A Dell support techie suggested my setting Windows Auto Update daily for
    > 3am. He said it updates, even if the computer is turned off, as long as
    > you are "connected". I have Verizon FIOS, for example. But how can the
    > computer receive data if it is not powered up?
    >
    > Nighjtsky

    You know you were talking to some towel head in Bangalore, don't you?

    Rectum Burrrrrrrrrrn

    Rectum Burn, Aug 20, 2007
  5. Nightsky wrote:

    > A Dell support techie suggested my setting Windows Auto Update daily for
    > 3am. He said it updates, even if the computer is turned off, as long as
    > you are "connected". I have Verizon FIOS, for example. But how can the
    > computer receive data if it is not powered up?

    Of course, that's not what he meant - maybe he has some accent like someone
    from India?
    Now, windows update will run it's check when the computer is turned on next
    time, that's what he wanted to say :)

    wisdomkiller & pain, Aug 20, 2007
  6. > A Dell support techie suggested my setting Windows Auto Update daily for
    > 3am. He said it updates, even if the computer is turned off, as long as
    > you are "connected". I have Verizon FIOS, for example. But how can the
    > computer receive data if it is not powered up?

    Some computers support this type of functionality. You want a feature
    such as Wake On LAN that can start and run the computer via a remote
    connection. This is probably not what the Elbonian tech-support guy
    meant to say. How many Microsoft Updates are there such that you want
    to run your update daily? I patch my Mac less than once per month, and
    I may have run my Linux updater about three months ago to download some
    bug fixes. I try to avoid patching anything unless there is a
    noticeable problem. Many hours of downtime have resulted because of bad
    patches.

    Alexander Rogge, Aug 21, 2007
  7. Nightsky

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-08-19, Nightsky <> wrote:
    > A Dell support techie suggested my setting Windows Auto Update daily for
    > 3am. He said it updates, even if the computer is turned off, as long as
    > you are "connected". I have Verizon FIOS, for example. But how can the
    > computer receive data if it is not powered up?
    >
    > Nighjtsky

    I suspect the tech meant that your computer will run 'Windows Auto Update'
    at the first chance it gets, if it happens to be not running or not on
    line at 3AM. That would certainly be a sensible arrangement - although
    since Microsoft only issue updates once a month, it seems excessive to
    check every day (unless the same program also checks for 'anti-virus' and
    other not-operating-system not-Microsoft-software updates, of course).

    --
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Aug 21, 2007