How Can They Sell DVD Players For $30

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by traffik33, Nov 2, 2006.

  1. traffik33

    traffik33 Guest

    I just bought a Manavox DVD player for $29.98 at Wal-Mart.
    How can they manufacturer parts, assemble, ship/distribute,
    and sell these players for $29.98 and make a profit?

    OK its a low-end player, but stil plays and produces an
    excellent picture. Unbelievable.

    --
    "Well Good Grief.....What is wrong with these eBay sellers?

    Yahoo is free. No listing fees. No final value fees. Yahoo has a bulk
    loader.
    Your listings actually show up in the search. Your listings also show
    up in
    Yahoo's shopping search. Yahoo has more traffic than eBay stores.

    But eBay sellers want to pay $15.95 month store fees. 5 cent listing
    fees.
    10% final value fees. And for all these fees eBay buries their store
    items
    on the back end of eBay and they don't even show up in the search.

    Sellers could have it all and not even a small percentage of eBay's
    store sellers
    can grasp the concept of listing and selling for free on Yahoo and
    keeping all their profits."

    ----------
    "Sellers could have it all, and with so many working so hard to make
    minimum
    wage on eBay, they don't even get it. As simple as taking a day to move
    their listings
    to Yahoo and eBay would be slashing their fees and bending over
    backwards
    trying to get them back. All that potential. What a waste. "

    --------------
    It's somewhat rare for the typical eBay seller to actually DO
    something.
    You are in a small minority.

    I realize in many cases, sellers have immediate financial needs, but
    judging from the completed auctions I seriously doubt the majority
    of sellers a making more than minimum wage for their time (at best).

    Reading the pathetic pleading on eBays message boards I wonder
    if any of these people are even capable of understanding what
    an incredible event it would be if they simply turned their backs
    on eBay and moved their listings to Yahoo.

    At this point it should be a "no brainer" and is well within their
    reach.
    It would send eBay reeling. And improve the situation for online
    sellers
    for years to come.

    Instead of meek lambs, struggling for their survivial on eBay,
    sellers would be saying, "YES, WE DID THAT".

    traffik33, Nov 2, 2006

  2. traffik33

    Neck & Red Guest

    "traffik33" <> wrote in message
    >I just bought a Manavox DVD player for $29.98 at Wal-Mart.
    > How can they manufacturer parts, assemble, ship/distribute,
    > and sell these players for $29.98 and make a profit?
    >
    > OK its a low-end player, but stil plays and produces an
    > excellent picture. Unbelievable.

    <snip stupid fucking signature>

    I don't know how they can, but you have the stupidest fucking signature I've
    ever seen. Yahoo auctions is the biggest waste on the internet. Only morons
    go there.

    Neck & Red, Nov 3, 2006

  3. traffik33

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    traffik33 wrote: reams of bullshit

    Still morphing eh?

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Nov 3, 2006
  4. "traffik33" <> wrote:

    >I just bought a Manavox DVD player for $29.98 at Wal-Mart.
    >How can they manufacturer parts, assemble, ship/distribute,
    >and sell these players for $29.98 and make a profit?

    Because they're made in China, where the workers get about a penny a month.
    The whole player probably costs about 6 cents to make, and Wal-Mart gets
    them for about a buck each.

    OK, so I made up those numbers. But you get the point. If we still had
    pre-Nixon trade embargoes on China, we'd be paying $425 for a low-end
    player. And we'd be taking them to repairmen instead of considering them
    disposable. Imagine that.

    Kimba W. Lion, Nov 3, 2006
  5. traffik33

    traffik33 Guest

    Neck & Red wrote:
    > "traffik33" <> wrote in message
    > >I just bought a Manavox DVD player for $29.98 at Wal-Mart.
    > > How can they manufacturer parts, assemble, ship/distribute,
    > > and sell these players for $29.98 and make a profit?
    > >
    > > OK its a low-end player, but stil plays and produces an
    > > excellent picture. Unbelievable.

    > <snip stupid fucking signature>
    >
    > I don't know how they can, but you have the stupidest fucking signature I've
    > ever seen. Yahoo auctions is the biggest waste on the internet. Only morons
    > go there.

    Yawn.........Let us know when you have a response which indicates you
    are not
    still in your teens and have some understanding of online sales.

    If you believe listing on eBay for whatever money they ALLOW you to
    keep
    is your best option, you are too fu#king stupid to worry about.

    traffik33, Nov 3, 2006
  6. traffik33

    traffik33 Guest

    Kimba W. Lion wrote:
    > "traffik33" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I just bought a Manavox DVD player for $29.98 at Wal-Mart.
    > >How can they manufacturer parts, assemble, ship/distribute,
    > >and sell these players for $29.98 and make a profit?

    > Because they're made in China, where the workers get about a penny a month.
    > The whole player probably costs about 6 cents to make, and Wal-Mart gets
    > them for about a buck each.
    >
    > OK, so I made up those numbers. But you get the point. If we still had
    > pre-Nixon trade embargoes on China, we'd be paying $425 for a low-end
    > player. And we'd be taking them to repairmen instead of considering them
    > disposable. Imagine that.

    Even assuming free labor, its still hard to believe they can
    manufacture
    the parts, assemble into a complete player and make a profit at $30.

    I'm not complaining. I've purchased atleast a dozen VCRs during my
    lifetime at a total cost of $4,000 to $5,000. DVD players at $30 will
    be a
    nice break. Still hard to believe you can buy a player for the same
    price
    you spend on 2 or 3 DVDs.

    traffik33, Nov 3, 2006
  7. "traffik33" <> wrote in

    > Even assuming free labor, its still hard to believe they can
    > manufacture
    > the parts, assemble into a complete player and make a profit at $30.
    >
    > I'm not complaining. I've purchased atleast a dozen VCRs during my
    > lifetime at a total cost of $4,000 to $5,000. DVD players at $30 will
    > be a
    > nice break. Still hard to believe you can buy a player for the same
    > price
    > you spend on 2 or 3 DVDs.

    Get those $30 players, and you will indeed be buying them by the
    dozen. I've had to work with a few, and they were all notoriously
    unreliable. Be warned.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Nov 3, 2006
  8. traffik33

    traffik33 Guest

    Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
    > "traffik33" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Even assuming free labor, its still hard to believe they can
    > > manufacture
    > > the parts, assemble into a complete player and make a profit at $30.
    > >
    > > I'm not complaining. I've purchased atleast a dozen VCRs during my
    > > lifetime at a total cost of $4,000 to $5,000. DVD players at $30 will
    > > be a
    > > nice break. Still hard to believe you can buy a player for the same
    > > price
    > > you spend on 2 or 3 DVDs.

    > Get those $30 players, and you will indeed be buying them by the
    > dozen. I've had to work with a few, and they were all notoriously
    > unreliable. Be warned.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Aaron J. Bossig
    >
    > http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    > http://www.dvdverdict.com

    I'm sure it's not the norm, but it seems like the more I pay for a DVD
    player
    the faster it beaks and quits working.

    My first two players were $300 and $200 and both lasted less than a
    year each.
    My last player was a $65 APEX and lasted for 3+ years with very heavy
    usage.

    Wal-Mart has a generous return policy. Any problems during the first 90
    days
    and you can exchange for a new unit or complete refund.

    If I can get one year out of each $30 DVD player it will be 1/10th the
    price
    I was paying for VCRs.

    traffik33, Nov 3, 2006
  9. traffik33

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On 2 Nov 2006 15:29:56 -0800, "traffik33" <> wrote:

    >I just bought a Manavox DVD player for $29.98 at Wal-Mart.
    >How can they manufacturer parts, assemble, ship/distribute,
    >and sell these players for $29.98 and make a profit?

    Very cheap parts and very cheap labor.

    IOW, poor quality parts that have been rejected by other manufacturers
    and ChiCom prison labor.

    --

    "First and last, it's a question of money. Those men who own the earth
    make the laws to protect what they have. They fix up a sort of fence or

    Citizen Bob, Nov 3, 2006
  10. traffik33

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On 2 Nov 2006 20:16:18 -0800, "traffik33" <> wrote:

    >Even assuming free labor, its still hard to believe they can
    >manufacture the parts, assemble into a complete player and make a profit at $30.

    Economy of scale kicks in when you make a minimum production run of
    10,000 units. I used to work at an electronics manufacturer as a
    product developer and I know how cheap you can get electronic parts in
    large volumes. What costs you $1 in a package at RackShack can be
    purchased for a penny in quantity 10,000.

    >Still hard to believe you can buy a player for the same
    >price you spend on 2 or 3 DVDs.

    You are not aware of the incredible markups that occur from parts
    costs and burdened labor costs.

    We sold an RTU for SCADA systems for $5,000 in one lot, and it costs
    us less than $700 to make it, including the burden (overhead charge).
    Parts and labor without burden were about $500. So your $30 player
    cost maybe $3 to make.

    Citizen Bob, Nov 3, 2006
  11. traffik33

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 22:27:24 -0600, "Aaron J. Bossig"
    <> wrote:

    >Get those $30 players, and you will indeed be buying them by the
    >dozen. I've had to work with a few, and they were all notoriously
    >unreliable. Be warned.

    He said he got it at WalMart. You have 90 days evaluation. So you take
    it back every 90 days and get a new one. I did that with an ILO DVDR.
    I had the ZU, MU, MU1 and another MU1.

    Citizen Bob, Nov 3, 2006
  12. traffik33

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On 2 Nov 2006 20:37:15 -0800, "traffik33" <> wrote:

    >Wal-Mart has a generous return policy. Any problems during the first 90
    >days and you can exchange for a new unit or complete refund.

    You can return the product for any reason - it does not have to be
    defective. If asked tell them it does not perform according to your
    original expectations based on the advertising.

    [NB: Always check the packaging of any product at a retail store
    because they may put the returned item back on the shelf. Get only
    packages that have not been opened.]

    Also, most people do not consider an extended warranty. There are two
    kinds - straight replacement and repair. They pay postage both ways.
    However the product has to be a minimum price. A $30 product doesn't
    qualify.

    I bought the Polaroid DRM2001G for $220 at W-M and evaluated it for 30
    days (it has a 90 day factory warranty). Then I bought the 3-year
    extended service policy for $24. Including 8.25% sales tax, the total
    comes out to $6.77 per month or 23 cents per day for the next 38
    months. That's a deal so incredible that I can hardly believe it.

    I have a DVDR backup so when I have to send the Polaroid off for
    service I am covered. The warranty company claims it can take up to 3
    weeks depending on parts availability. The warranty even includes free
    cleaning and broken remotes.

    Citizen Bob, Nov 3, 2006
  13. traffik33

    gerry Guest

    China is selling products like DVD players at under cost, dumping them
    on the world market. China is more interested in stability at home,
    which would be jeopardized if unemployment rises too much. China's
    currency is undervalued, which makes Chinese goods sell cheaper in
    Western countries. Having no unions in the "workers' paradise" helps
    keep prices down, along with the constant threat in the background of
    the Peoples Liberation Army and the plainclothes thugs from the Public
    Security Bureau to keep Chinese wage slaves in line.

    gerry, Nov 4, 2006
  14. On 4 Nov 2006 00:47:02 -0800, "gerry" <> wrote:

    >China is selling products like DVD players at under cost, dumping them
    >on the world market. China is more interested in stability at home,
    >which would be jeopardized if unemployment rises too much. China's
    >currency is undervalued, which makes Chinese goods sell cheaper in
    >Western countries. Having no unions in the "workers' paradise" helps
    >keep prices down, along with the constant threat in the background of
    >the Peoples Liberation Army and the plainclothes thugs from the Public
    >Security Bureau to keep Chinese wage slaves in line.

    Most of all, it's a currency grab, in the sense that even N.A. & E.U.
    firms that have manufacturing plants in Mainland China are indirectly
    subsidized by the government in order to keep that foreign currency
    flowing to fund the massive projects either underway or planned by
    Beijing. The Japanese did it for years by providing huge sums of
    money to Japan's manufacturers at little or no interest.

    E. Barry Bruyea, Nov 4, 2006
  15. traffik33

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On 4 Nov 2006 00:47:02 -0800, "gerry" <> wrote:

    >China is selling products like DVD players at under cost, dumping them
    >on the world market. China is more interested in stability at home,
    >which would be jeopardized if unemployment rises too much. China's
    >currency is undervalued, which makes Chinese goods sell cheaper in
    >Western countries. Having no unions in the "workers' paradise" helps
    >keep prices down, along with the constant threat in the background of
    >the Peoples Liberation Army and the plainclothes thugs from the Public
    >Security Bureau to keep Chinese wage slaves in line.

    Beats being an organ donor.

    Citizen Bob, Nov 4, 2006
  16. traffik33

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, wrote:
    >On 2 Nov 2006 20:37:15 -0800, "traffik33" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Wal-Mart has a generous return policy. Any problems during the first 90
    >>days and you can exchange for a new unit or complete refund.

    >You can return the product for any reason - it does not have to be
    >defective. If asked tell them it does not perform according to your
    >original expectations based on the advertising.
    >
    >[NB: Always check the packaging of any product at a retail store
    >because they may put the returned item back on the shelf. Get only
    >packages that have not been opened.]

    Its illegal to sell an opened or returned item as new to unsuspecting
    customers, at least here in Utah.

    GMAN, Nov 4, 2006
  17. traffik33

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 18:47:43 GMT, (GMAN)
    wrote:

    >>[NB: Always check the packaging of any product at a retail store
    >>because they may put the returned item back on the shelf. Get only
    >>packages that have not been opened.]

    >Its illegal to sell an opened or returned item as new to unsuspecting
    >customers, at least here in Utah.

    I believe that's true for most states.

    That's why there is "pallet electronics" which is where eBay sellers
    get their junk.

    Citizen Bob, Nov 6, 2006
  18. traffik33

    Guest Guest

    "Kimba W. Lion" <KimbaWLion> wrote in message
    > "traffik33" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I just bought a Manavox DVD player for $29.98 at Wal-Mart.
    >>How can they manufacturer parts, assemble, ship/distribute,
    >>and sell these players for $29.98 and make a profit?

    > Because they're made in China, where the workers get about a penny a
    > month.
    > The whole player probably costs about 6 cents to make, and Wal-Mart gets
    > them for about a buck each.

    I've parted out a few such impossibly priced Chinese-made electronic
    components. I've come across many examples where the parts cost
    alone--based on OEM quantity purchases--is higher than the retail selling
    price.

    Guest, Nov 7, 2006
  19. traffik33

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 09:06:04 -0800, <> wrote:

    >I've parted out a few such impossibly priced Chinese-made electronic
    >components. I've come across many examples where the parts cost
    >alone--based on OEM quantity purchases--is higher than the retail selling
    >price.

    Manufacturers get sweet deals from parts vendors, much better than you
    will get from OEMs.

    I know because I was a product manager for an computer manufacturer
    and the prices for 10,000 lot is so low it's unbeliveable. The vendors
    will just about give you the parts just to get your business. That's
    because they make all the real money on currency translation.

    Yes, I know it's called dumping, but it is a reality.

    Citizen Bob, Nov 7, 2006
  20. In article <>,
    Citizen Bob <> wrote:
    >On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 18:47:43 GMT, (GMAN)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>>[NB: Always check the packaging of any product at a retail store
    >>>because they may put the returned item back on the shelf. Get only
    >>>packages that have not been opened.]

    >>Its illegal to sell an opened or returned item as new to unsuspecting
    >>customers, at least here in Utah.

    >I believe that's true for most states.

    >That's why there is "pallet electronics" which is where eBay sellers
    >get their junk.

    I used to keep my ears and eyes open and my mouth shut when I'd go
    browsing around in 'hi-fi' stores.

    In one I heard a saleman speaking to another about how he could
    re-package high-end [$100+] phono cartridges so no one could tell
    they had been opened.

    In another they would open the boxes of hi-fi gear - receivers and
    such - very carefully from the bottom. They would then put these
    on the shelf as demo units.

    When someone bought a unit, they would repackage the demo [or
    perhaps a returned unit] and carefully seal the bottom, and then
    brag about the sealed factor packaging that was in place on top of
    the box.

    When our studio owner got a new system for his office, I saw the
    box and said "You got that from XXXX didn't you". When he said I
    was correct and asked how I knew, I pointed out the bottom of the
    box that had been opened one time and carefully resealed with
    the big copper staples so often used then.

    And one time I bought a laser-disk at a store, and the clerk
    said "let me get one from the back room so I don't have to
    put another price label on a new one".

    When I got it home I noticed a very small slit in the cover
    where they had slit the original package, and then were renting the
    disks out, and then re-selling them as new.

    A few years later I ran across a person who worked there and told
    him why I never trusted any of the high-futility stores [as Don
    Davis calls them] because of things like this.

    He countered with something like "laser disks don't wear out so
    it's the same as a new disk".

    He just didn't have any problems renting a disk several times,and
    then selling it as new, and making gobs of profit per disk.

    While re-selling use as new is probably illegal in all states,
    there are a lot of people who seem to be doing it.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Nov 25, 2006