    We can't afford 4 more years
    of the last 8 years!

    The Semi-Honorable Judge J. P. Pigglesworth, presiding

    Judge Pigglesworth, Oct 18, 2008

  2. In article <>,
    Judge Pigglesworth <> wrote:

    > Now that I've gone to HD I see lots of older movies on my HD channels.
    > How does a movie that was made before the HD era now become an HD
    > movie? Example: "Silence of the Lambs". Looks fabulous in HD but
    > not sure how they converted it as it wasn't filmed in HD format as the
    > format didn't yet exist. Very curious on this.

    It was filmed on ... film, which is much higher def than HD.

    dick

    James Sidbury, Oct 18, 2008

  3. Judge Pigglesworth

    Netmask Guest

    "Judge Pigglesworth" <> wrote in message
    > Now that I've gone to HD I see lots of older movies on my HD channels.
    > How does a movie that was made before the HD era now become an HD
    > movie? Example: "Silence of the Lambs". Looks fabulous in HD but
    > not sure how they converted it as it wasn't filmed in HD format as the
    > format didn't yet exist. Very curious on this.
    >

    > We can't afford 4 more years
    > of the last 8 years!
    >
    > The Semi-Honorable Judge J. P. Pigglesworth, presiding

    A 35mm celluloid fame is better than HD as long as the negative is properly
    exposed and developed and of course archived correctly. Gone With The Wind
    (1939) was shot in Technicolor. Initially a two-colour system; it employed a
    beam-splitting camera to provide three colour-separation negatives from
    which matrices were made for dye transfer.

    So many of the great movies of the past can benefit from a HD release. In
    some instances they may have to cut back the quality as flaws in the sets
    and costumes will start to become apparent as will any rear screen shots. In
    addition the is the ability to correct errors frame by frame using computer
    aided restoration techniques. However sound recorded in mono will remain
    mono unless they re-lay the entire sound track with new sound elements as it
    is not possible to extract directional information once it is mixed to mono.
    There are fake devices of course that do little but decrease
    intelligibility. In a few rare case all the separate original sound elements
    have been archived and could be mixed in at least stereo mode.

    Netmask, Oct 18, 2008
  4. "Judge Pigglesworth" <> wrote in message
    > Now that I've gone to HD I see lots of older movies on my HD channels.
    > How does a movie that was made before the HD era now become an HD
    > movie? Example: "Silence of the Lambs". Looks fabulous in HD but
    > not sure how they converted it as it wasn't filmed in HD format as the
    > format didn't yet exist. Very curious on this.

    because those movies were not shot on video - they were shot on 35mm film -
    they are a big stream of high quality photos.
    that 35mm film holds detail and colour levels far superior even to HD - so
    that's how.

    --
    Gareth.

    that fly...... is your magic wand....

    The dog from that film you saw, Oct 18, 2008
  5. Judge Pigglesworth

    Kishin Guest

    In article <>,
    "The dog from that film you saw" <>
    wrote:

    > "Judge Pigglesworth" <> wrote in message
    > > Now that I've gone to HD I see lots of older movies on my HD channels.
    > > How does a movie that was made before the HD era now become an HD
    > > movie? Example: "Silence of the Lambs". Looks fabulous in HD but
    > > not sure how they converted it as it wasn't filmed in HD format as the
    > > format didn't yet exist. Very curious on this.

    > because those movies were not shot on video - they were shot on 35mm film -
    > they are a big stream of high quality photos.
    > that 35mm film holds detail and colour levels far superior even to HD - so
    > that's how.

    It's always nice to see an alt.horror regular outside of alt.horror. And
    being helpful at that.

    Kishin

    Kishin, Oct 18, 2008
  6. "Kishin" <> wrote in message

    >> because those movies were not shot on video - they were shot on 35mm
    >> film -
    >> they are a big stream of high quality photos.
    >> that 35mm film holds detail and colour levels far superior even to HD -
    >> so
    >> that's how.

    > It's always nice to see an alt.horror regular outside of alt.horror. And
    > being helpful at that.
    >
    > Kishin

    MOTEL HELL.

    --
    Gareth.

    that fly...... is your magic wand....

    The dog from that film you saw, Oct 18, 2008
  7. Judge Pigglesworth

    Richard C. Guest

    > Now that I've gone to HD I see lots of older movies on my HD channels.
    > How does a movie that was made before the HD era now become an HD
    > movie? Example: "Silence of the Lambs". Looks fabulous in HD but
    > not sure how they converted it as it wasn't filmed in HD format as the
    > format didn't yet exist. Very curious on this.

    ==============================
    Film is much higher resolution than HD!
    To convert film to HD master actually decreases the resolution.

    Richard C., Oct 18, 2008
  8. On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 10:57:25 -0400, Kishin
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > "The dog from that film you saw" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> "Judge Pigglesworth" <> wrote in message
    >> > Now that I've gone to HD I see lots of older movies on my HD channels.
    >> > How does a movie that was made before the HD era now become an HD
    >> > movie? Example: "Silence of the Lambs". Looks fabulous in HD but
    >> > not sure how they converted it as it wasn't filmed in HD format as the
    >> > format didn't yet exist. Very curious on this.

    >> because those movies were not shot on video - they were shot on 35mm film -
    >> they are a big stream of high quality photos.
    >> that 35mm film holds detail and colour levels far superior even to HD - so
    >> that's how.

    >It's always nice to see an alt.horror regular outside of alt.horror. And
    >being helpful at that.
    >
    >Kishin

    Yes, you guys have been great. This was a question that was bugging
    me for some time. I was thinking they had to run the film back
    through some elaborate process, but it seems it's quite the opposite.
    Thanks to all for clearing it up for me.

    Judge Pigglesworth, Oct 18, 2008
  9. Judge Pigglesworth

    Andrew Guest

    > "Kishin" <> wrote in message
    >> It's always nice to see an alt.horror regular outside of alt.horror. And
    >> being helpful at that.
    >>
    >> Kishin

    The dog from that film you saw wrote:
    > MOTEL HELL.

    Hehe, I was thinking of the exact same answer. I'll go with this one
    instead.

    THE NECRO-FILES.

    Andrew

    Andrew, Oct 22, 2008