    How can I view all hidden and metadata in an Office document? I understand
    that even the MAC address of the Ethernet adaptor is embedded into documents
    so you can tell which PC was used to create it.
    W, Apr 27, 2008

  2. Subsequently
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...ED-D43E-42CA-BC7B-5446D34E5360&displaylang=en

    pcbutts1 [MS MVP], Apr 27, 2008

  3. W

    thanatoid Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in

    > "W" <> wrote in message
    >> How can I view all hidden and metadata in an Office
    >> document? I

    > understand
    >> that even the MAC address of the Ethernet adaptor is
    >> embedded into

    > documents
    >> so you can tell which PC was used to create it.
    >>

    > http://www.electronicevidenceretrieval.com/molisani_meta_dat
    > a.htm

    Excellent article for the clueless but it neglects to mention
    Word also often keeps parts of the document which you /thought/
    disappeared when you hit "delete" after highlighting them. That
    can cause some nasty situations sometimes, even if's just a word
    or two.

    They will not show up unless you look at ALL of it (ie including
    the parts which never show when you look at it IN Word AS a Word
    document or when you print it) in a real file viewer (or
    possibly using the procedure described in your link - I don't
    use Word so I was not aware of that command).

    --
    Of course, it is no easy matter to be polite; in so far, I mean,
    as it requires us to show great respect for everybody, whereas

    - Arthur Schopenhauer
    thanatoid, Apr 27, 2008
  4. W

    thanatoid Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in

    > "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    >> "philo" <> wrote in
    >>

    >> > "W" <> wrote in message
    >> > understand
    >> > documents
    >> >>

    >> > http://www.electronicevidenceretrieval.com/molisani_meta_
    >> > dat a.htm

    >> Excellent article for the clueless but it neglects to
    >> mention Word also often keeps parts of the document which
    >> you /thought/ disappeared when you hit "delete" after
    >> highlighting them. That can cause some nasty situations
    >> sometimes, even if's just a word or two.
    >>
    >> They will not show up unless you look at ALL of it (ie
    >> including the parts which never show when you look at it
    >> IN Word AS a Word document or when you print it) in a real
    >> file viewer (or possibly using the procedure described in
    >> your link - I don't use Word so I was not aware of that
    >> command).
    >>

    > Yes, Word documents do hold a lot of hidden data
    > but as to the mac number of the machine...I've never heard
    > that one before!

    Same here. And I do not think it's true, not that I care.
    Anybody using Word gets what they deserve.

    When I heard about the MAC number and how unique they are
    "supposed to be" I was using a firewall or some other program
    which showed me the MAC numbers from all machines with
    connections - successful or just attempted, I can't remember.

    60% of the MAC numbers were identical, and of the other 40%,
    there were about 10 or 15 identical numbers divided between
    them. So much for "unique". I haven't given it any thought since
    then. Probably just another idiotic half-baked idea from
    Intel/MS.

    thanatoid, Apr 28, 2008