    really the problem, or is Microsoft just blowing smoke? Can I
    re-encode it to a standard that will play normally?
    , Jul 10, 2007

  2. dadiOH Guest

    wrote:
    > I occasionally come across an mp3 file that Windows Media Player
    > (WMP) tells me it can't play because it doesn't support the file
    > type or the codec that was used to create it. Real player plays it
    > just fine. Also if I rename the extension to WAV, WMP will play it
    > just fine as well.

    Perhaps it really is a wave? You should be able to hazard more than a
    guess by the file size.
    _______________

    > How Can I Tell What Codec is used to compress an
    > MP3?

    You can't. There is/used to be a program named EncSpot that purported
    to do so but it was very inaccurate.
    ________________

    > Is the codec really the problem, or is Microsoft just blowing
    > smoke?

    A rose is a rose is a rose. Ditto MP3.
    _________________

    > Can I re-encode it to a standard that will play normally?

    You can always decode to wave then encode that wave to MP3. You may
    lose a tad - a small tad - of quality.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, Jul 10, 2007

  3. mattcar Guest

    I have the same problem. I don't think they are really mislabled WAV's
    because when i open them up in real player, the ALBUM/genre/artist
    information is there. That is not present in a real WAV file. How do
    you identify the Audio codec in an MP3?

    mattcar, Jul 22, 2007
  4. thanatoid Guest

    mattcar <> wrote in

    > I have the same problem. I don't think they are really
    > mislabled WAV's because when i open them up in real player,
    > the ALBUM/genre/artist information is there. That is not
    > present in a real WAV file. How do you identify the Audio
    > codec in an MP3?

    If you have the dBPowerAmp converter and right click on an mp3
    in any file manager (Windows Explorer for most people), it will
    give you some basic info including the length, bitrate, stereo
    or joint-stereo etc, Fh or Xing or Lame or whatever and ver # if
    applicable. With the dB PowerPack you can edit the tag - but
    some mp3 players let you do that as well. And there are specific
    huge-ass "tag" programs for people who can't tell what something
    is just by the artist and song title. I would not be surprised
    if SOME of them gave you codec info etc. as well.

    --
    Any mental activity is easy if it need not be subjected to
    reality.
    thanatoid, Jul 22, 2007
  5. Guest

    mattcar <> wrote:

    >I have the same problem. I don't think they are really mislabled WAV's
    >because when i open them up in real player, the ALBUM/genre/artist
    >information is there. That is not present in a real WAV file. How do
    >you identify the Audio codec in an MP3?

    Download Gspot http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ unzip to a directory
    and run it. Drop your file into the Gspot window and it will tell you
    what you need to know.

    >On Jul 10, 11:00 am, "dadiOH" <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >> > I occasionally come across an mp3 file that Windows Media Player
    >> > (WMP) tells me it can't play because it doesn't support the file
    >> > type or the codec that was used to create it. Real player plays it
    >> > just fine. Also if I rename the extension to WAV, WMP will play it
    >> > just fine as well.

    >> Perhaps it really is a wave? You should be able to hazard more than a
    >> guess by the file size.
    >> _______________
    >>
    >> > How Can I Tell What Codec is used to compress an
    >> > MP3?

    >> You can't. There is/used to be a program named EncSpot that purported
    >> to do so but it was very inaccurate.
    >> ________________
    >>
    >> > Is the codec really the problem, or is Microsoft just blowing
    >> > smoke?

    >> A rose is a rose is a rose. Ditto MP3.
    >> _________________
    >>
    >> > Can I re-encode it to a standard that will play normally?

    >> You can always decode to wave then encode that wave to MP3. You may
    >> lose a tad - a small tad - of quality.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> dadiOH
    >>
    >> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    >> ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
    >> LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
    >> Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

    --
    Advertisement for Renault Sports Car
    www.icomment.org/index.php/main/video/show?id=433325:Video:63