    larya Guest

    How can I stop the mcafee pop-up reminders...
    Larry
    larya, Sep 1, 2010

  2. larya

    rf Guest

    "larya" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > How can I stop the mcafee pop-up reminders...

    Uninstall McAfee and install a free anti virus suite.
    rf, Sep 1, 2010

  3. larya

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 06:06:33 -0700 (PDT), larya <>
    wrote:

    >How can I stop the mcafee pop-up reminders...
    >Larry

    Uninstall it and get bitdefender. Or some other av program.
    joevan, Sep 1, 2010
  4. larya

    Mike Easter Guest

    larya wrote:
    > How can I stop the mcafee pop-up reminders...

    McAfee makes a lot of different products, but you didn't name yours.

    The McAfee communities web forum is here
    https://community.mcafee.com/community/home

    If you use the McAfee support pages which start here
    http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS

    .... then you will be able to search and find information like this:

    <q>
    How to prevent the Personal Firewall Plus pop-up alerts
    Solution

    McAfee does not advise disabling the alerts completely. Instead, we
    recommend changing the way alerts appear.

    1. Right-click the McAfee icon by your system time clock.
    2. Click Personal Firewall, Utilities.
    3. Click on Alert Settings.
    4. Select Flash the Tray Icon.

    Note: If you prefer not to be alerted at all, unselect all options.
    </q>

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 1, 2010
  5. larya

    larya Guest

    On Sep 1, 9:06 am, larya <> wrote:
    > How can I stop the mcafee pop-up reminders...
    > Larry

    thanks for your suggestions...
    Larry
    larya, Sep 1, 2010
  6. larya

    Jordon Guest

    larya wrote:
    > How can I stop the mcafee pop-up reminders...
    > Larry

    Would that be the reminder that tells you that your free
    subscription has expired and you're no longer getting
    updates for the antivirus program and that you're at risk
    of being infected with any new viruses?
    Jordon, Sep 1, 2010
  7. larya

    thanatoid Guest

    Mike Easter <> wrote in

    <snip>

    Mike, if it were not for you and a few other people, I don't
    know WHAT this group would be... I sometimes think it should
    simply be dismantled (yes, I know it's impossible... for now,
    anyway).

    --
    Any mental activity is easy if it need not be subjected to
    reality.
    thanatoid, Sep 1, 2010
  8. larya

    Mike Easter Guest

    thanatoid wrote:

    > Mike, if it were not for you and a few other people, I don't
    > know WHAT this group would be...

    I almost always learn something interesting when I'm finding answers.

    I already knew that McAfee was being acquired by Intel recently for
    about $7.7 billion - which seemed like a lot to me considering McAfee's
    worth, but I hadn't read what McAfee had to say about that acquisition.

    When I visited the McAfee page I had a chance to read that
    http://www.mcafee.com/us/about/intel_mcafee.html On August 19, 2010,
    McAfee agreed to be acquired by Intel Corporation.

    That caused me to go to Intel's site and see what they had to say, which
    was more informative, and then to a NYT blog article and see what it
    said and then to the comments after the NYT article and see what those
    commenters said.

    http://snipr.com/1131of Intel to Acquire McAfee

    NYT tech blog http://snipr.com/1131n7 A Different Take on the
    Intel-McAfee Deal

    I found useful the opinions of an ex-McAfee prez and some commenters
    with insight.

    > I sometimes think it should
    > simply be dismantled (yes, I know it's impossible... for now,
    > anyway).

    Newsgroups evolve.

    There are always tons and tons more people 'participating' ie lurking in
    a group than just the people who are posting.

    When we are talking, a lot more people are listening than it 'looks like'.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 1, 2010
  9. larya

    chuckcar Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote in

    > Mike Easter <> wrote in
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Mike, if it were not for you and a few other people, I don't
    > know WHAT this group would be... I sometimes think it should
    > simply be dismantled (yes, I know it's impossible... for now,
    > anyway).

    Dismantle the trolls - or have their own brains to it to themselves.
    Emminently rewarding and surely the most elegant solution.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 1, 2010
  10. larya

    Jordon Guest

    chuckcar wrote:
    > thanatoid<> wrote in
    >
    >> Mike Easter<> wrote in
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Mike, if it were not for you and a few other people, I don't
    >> know WHAT this group would be... I sometimes think it should
    >> simply be dismantled (yes, I know it's impossible... for now,
    >> anyway).
    >>

    > Dismantle the trolls - or have their own brains to it to themselves.
    > Emminently rewarding and surely the most elegant solution.

    Physician, heal thyself!
    Jordon, Sep 1, 2010
  11. larya

    thanatoid Guest

    Mike Easter <> wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:

    <snip>

    >> I sometimes think it should
    >> simply be dismantled (yes, I know it's impossible... for
    >> now, anyway).

    > Newsgroups evolve.
    >
    > There are always tons and tons more people 'participating'
    > ie lurking in a group than just the people who are posting.
    >
    > When we are talking, a lot more people are listening than
    > it 'looks like'.

    I realize that. Invisible lurkers are not a problem. Posters who
    should have never been allowed to exist, let alone own a
    computer, let alone get on the Usenet... are /the/ problem.

    ;-]

    thanatoid, Sep 1, 2010
  12. larya

    thanatoid Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote in

    > thanatoid <> wrote in
    >
    >> Mike Easter <> wrote in
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Mike, if it were not for you and a few other people, I
    >> don't know WHAT this group would be... I sometimes think
    >> it should simply be dismantled (yes, I know it's
    >> impossible... for now, anyway).
    >>

    > Dismantle the trolls - or have their own brains to it to
    > themselves. Emminently rewarding and surely the most
    > elegant solution.

    Sustained automatic weapon fire has always seemed to me an
    elegant - although rather messy - solution to various problems
    humans cause. Good thing (???) that animals do not know how to
    use such weapons, or we'd be in BIG trouble.

    thanatoid, Sep 2, 2010
  13. larya

    Mike Easter Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > Mike Easter

    >> When we are talking, a lot more people are listening than
    >> it 'looks like'.

    > I realize that. Invisible lurkers are not a problem. Posters who
    > should have never been allowed to exist, let alone own a
    > computer, let alone get on the Usenet... are /the/ problem.

    I ignore them as if they didn't exist. Only if I can't ignore something
    mentally do I bother to make them disappear from my newsreader
    algorithmically.

    So, they shouldn't be a /problem/. They might be a 'condition' of usenet.

    My news provider gets rid of virtually all of the spam, so all I have
    left to do is ignore those posts which are rude or unpleasant.

    Most of the people who make rude posts don't have much useful to say
    anyway, so if ignoring them doesn't work for you, then kf them.

    Your agent is XNews; I think it can take care of that if you need it to.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 2, 2010
  14. larya

    thanatoid Guest

    Mike Easter <> wrote in

    <snip>

    > Your agent is XNews; I think it can take care of that if
    > you need it to.

    Yes, my KF has 162 peoploids in it, but if I plonked everyone I
    had problems with, that would leave us two and maybe 5 other
    people!

    thanatoid, Sep 2, 2010
  15. larya

    chuckcar Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote in

    > chuckcar <> wrote in
    >
    >> thanatoid <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Mike Easter <> wrote in
    >>>
    >>> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> Mike, if it were not for you and a few other people, I
    >>> don't know WHAT this group would be... I sometimes think
    >>> it should simply be dismantled (yes, I know it's
    >>> impossible... for now, anyway).
    >>>

    >> Dismantle the trolls - or have their own brains to it to
    >> themselves. Emminently rewarding and surely the most
    >> elegant solution.

    > Sustained automatic weapon fire has always seemed to me an
    > elegant - although rather messy - solution to various problems
    > humans cause. Good thing (???) that animals do not know how to
    > use such weapons, or we'd be in BIG trouble.

    I wouldn't put it past the great apes, and for all we know the dolphins
    could have a nuke stockpile that would put Scrub's wildest dreams to
    shame. My bet is on the whales taking over however - nobody pushes
    *them* around.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 2, 2010
  16. larya

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 21:14:14 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > Emminently

    WTF?????

    --
    "When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
    Then I realised God doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and
    Aardvark, Sep 2, 2010
  17. larya

    Dan C Guest

    Dan C, Sep 2, 2010
  18. larya

    thanatoid Guest

    Dan C <> wrote in

    <snip>

    > http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/politica/thanks.jpg

    Idiotic.

    Oh no, Bush had NOTHING to do with it. And there is only one
    political party in the US, anyway. (If that's news to you, get a
    clue.)

    thanatoid, Sep 2, 2010
  19. larya

    thanatoid Guest

    Aardvark <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 21:14:14 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> Emminently

    > WTF?????

    Give it a rest - you guys are getting REALLY tedious.

    thanatoid, Sep 2, 2010