    they're put in the drive. I was able to easily disable autoplay my old
    computer, but WXPpro is obviously different.

    Please ... how can I stop the AutoPlay monster? b
    aka Bob, Sep 9, 2006

  2. aka Bob

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 22:06:08 +1200, aka Bob
    <> wrote:

    >I've purchased the new computer system, upgraded from W2Kpro to WXPpro
    >and I'm on a steep learning curve. Lots of problems, but this is one
    >that's driving me bonkers.
    >
    >I have gone into My Computer and right clicked on the DVD-RW drive,
    >opened properties and chosen to "Take No Action" for all of the
    >"AutoPlay" options.
    >
    >Nevertheless, software CD's still execute autorun & install whenever
    >they're put in the drive. I was able to easily disable autoplay my old
    >computer, but WXPpro is obviously different.
    >
    >Please ... how can I stop the AutoPlay monster? b

    http://features.engadget.com/2004/06/29/how-to-tuesday-disable-autorun-on-windows/

    or

    Open Registry and navigate to
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer]
    and look for key "NoDriveTypeAutoRun" and set its value to 185
    (decimal). This would stop autoplay.
    GraB, Sep 9, 2006

  3. aka Bob

    Phil Guest

    aka Bob wrote, On 9/09/06 10.06 p:
    > Please ... how can I stop the AutoPlay monster? b

    If you don't want to fiddle around in the registry, it's configurable in
    TweakUI -
    <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx>,
    along with a few hundred other little OS config tweaks.

    -Phil
    Phil, Sep 9, 2006
  4. aka Bob

    Jack Hammond Guest

    On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 23:13:15 +1200, Phil <> wrote:

    >aka Bob wrote, On 9/09/06 10.06 p:
    >> Please ... how can I stop the AutoPlay monster? b

    >If you don't want to fiddle around in the registry, it's configurable in
    >TweakUI -
    ><http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx>,
    >along with a few hundred other little OS config tweaks.
    >
    >-Phil

    No just use this tool.

    http://www.xpantispy.org/
    Jack Hammond, Sep 10, 2006
  5. aka Bob

    Phil Guest

    Jack Hammond wrote, On 10/09/06 12.31 p:
    > No just use this tool.
    >
    > http://www.xpantispy.org/

    My humble apologies kind sir, please forgive my oversight and gross
    negligence.

    </sarcasm>

    -Phil
    Phil, Sep 10, 2006
  6. aka Bob

    aka Bob Guest

    On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 23:13:15 +1200, Phil <>
    magnanimously proffered:

    >aka Bob wrote, On 9/09/06 10.06 p:
    >> Please ... how can I stop the AutoPlay monster? b

    >If you don't want to fiddle around in the registry, it's configurable in
    >TweakUI -
    ><http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx>,
    >along with a few hundred other little OS config tweaks.
    >
    >-Phil

    Thanks. But when I try to install, I get an error message telling me
    that the downloaded file "isn't a valid Win32 application." Any way
    around that? Thanks, bob
    aka Bob, Sep 10, 2006
  7. aka Bob

    Jack Hammond Guest

    On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 13:40:05 +1200, Phil <> wrote:

    >Jack Hammond wrote, On 10/09/06 12.31 p:
    >> No just use this tool.
    >>
    >> http://www.xpantispy.org/

    >My humble apologies kind sir, please forgive my oversight and gross
    >negligence.
    >
    ></sarcasm>
    >
    >-Phil

    Sorry I thought every one new about XPantispy. -:)
    Jack Hammond, Sep 10, 2006
  8. aka Bob

    Phil Guest

    aka Bob wrote, On 10/09/06 3.06 p:
    > Thanks. But when I try to install, I get an error message telling me
    > that the downloaded file "isn't a valid Win32 application." Any way
    > around that? Thanks, bob

    Are you sure you downloaded the correct one (and not the one for IA64
    systems -- unless you have an Itanium system that is)?

    Try:
    <http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe>

    -Phil
    Phil, Sep 10, 2006
  9. aka Bob

    aka Bob Guest

    On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:54:34 +1200, Phil <>
    magnanimously proffered:

    >aka Bob wrote, On 10/09/06 3.06 p:
    >> Thanks. But when I try to install, I get an error message telling me
    >> that the downloaded file "isn't a valid Win32 application." Any way
    >> around that? Thanks, bob

    >Are you sure you downloaded the correct one (and not the one for IA64
    >systems -- unless you have an Itanium system that is)?
    >
    >Try:
    ><http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe>
    >
    >-Phil

    Thanks, Phil. I did download and attempt to install the wrong version.
    bob
    aka Bob, Sep 11, 2006
  10. aka Bob

    Bruce Knox Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I've purchased the new computer system, upgraded from W2Kpro to WXPpro
    >and I'm on a steep learning curve. Lots of problems, but this is one
    >that's driving me bonkers.
    >
    >I have gone into My Computer and right clicked on the DVD-RW drive,
    >opened properties and chosen to "Take No Action" for all of the
    >"AutoPlay" options.
    >
    >Nevertheless, software CD's still execute autorun & install whenever
    >they're put in the drive. I was able to easily disable autoplay my old
    >computer, but WXPpro is obviously different.
    >
    >Please ... how can I stop the AutoPlay monster? b

    Holding down the left shift when you insert a CD works but can become
    annoying.
    Bruce.
    Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
    http://physio.otago.ac.nz