How can I save different versions in Lightroom?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MaryL, Jun 13, 2008.

  1. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    I am a brand-new user of Lightroom (just purchased this week), and I wonder
    if someone on this group can offer a solution to what seems like a very
    simple problem -- but I haven't been able to find the solution. That is, I
    want to be able to locate pictures edited in Lightroom and later use them in
    other programs or email them. I simply can't find any record of these
    pictures. I can't find "save as" or anything similar. I did try renaming,
    but that simply renames the *original* image and does not save the edited
    version to a file. If I close and then reopen Lightroom, it does open to
    the last change, but every other program I have provides a way of "saving
    as" so that I can have multiple versions that are readily available through
    Explorer or other searches.

    Can anyone help? I did look into "export," but that seems to assume using
    a DVD. I simply want to save a copy to disk.

    (I am using Lightroom 1.1 and Vista Home Premium.)

    Thanks,
    MaryL

    MaryL, Jun 13, 2008

  2. MaryL

    nospam Guest

    In article <4851d807$0$4066$>, MaryL
    <-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

    > I am a brand-new user of Lightroom (just purchased this week), and I wonder
    > if someone on this group can offer a solution to what seems like a very
    > simple problem -- but I haven't been able to find the solution. That is, I
    > want to be able to locate pictures edited in Lightroom and later use them in
    > other programs or email them. I simply can't find any record of these
    > pictures. I can't find "save as" or anything similar. I did try renaming,
    > but that simply renames the *original* image and does not save the edited
    > version to a file. If I close and then reopen Lightroom, it does open to
    > the last change, but every other program I have provides a way of "saving
    > as" so that I can have multiple versions that are readily available through
    > Explorer or other searches.

    you can make virtual copies of an image and modify each one separately
    (photo menu, create virtual copy). lightroom references the original
    file for all copies, so there's no wasted disk space.

    at any time, you can export a copy of the selected images to a jpeg,
    tiff, bmp or whatever format you prefer, in whatever size you need
    (e.g., small for email or large for printing), and named in any way you
    want. in the file menu, select export..., pick the various options and
    then click export.

    there are also lightroom plugins that can directly export to flickr and
    other photo sharing sites, without saving an interim file.

    > (I am using Lightroom 1.1 and Vista Home Premium.)

    you just bought it and it's version 1.1?? at a minimum, you should
    update to 1.4.1, and maybe look at 2.0 beta.

    nospam, Jun 13, 2008

  3. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    "nospam" <> wrote in message
    > In article <4851d807$0$4066$>, MaryL
    > <-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
    >
    >> I am a brand-new user of Lightroom (just purchased this week), and I
    >> wonder
    >> if someone on this group can offer a solution to what seems like a very
    >> simple problem -- but I haven't been able to find the solution. That is,
    >> want to be able to locate pictures edited in Lightroom and later use them
    >> in
    >> other programs or email them. I simply can't find any record of these
    >> pictures. I can't find "save as" or anything similar. I did try
    >> renaming,
    >> but that simply renames the *original* image and does not save the edited
    >> version to a file. If I close and then reopen Lightroom, it does open to
    >> the last change, but every other program I have provides a way of "saving
    >> as" so that I can have multiple versions that are readily available
    >> through
    >> Explorer or other searches.

    > you can make virtual copies of an image and modify each one separately
    > (photo menu, create virtual copy). lightroom references the original
    > file for all copies, so there's no wasted disk space.
    >
    > at any time, you can export a copy of the selected images to a jpeg,
    > tiff, bmp or whatever format you prefer, in whatever size you need
    > (e.g., small for email or large for printing), and named in any way you
    > want. in the file menu, select export..., pick the various options and
    > then click export.

    Thanks. I had located export, but it appeared (incorrectly) that it was
    only for burning to DVD. I just tried again and found that it really was
    saved to the location I selected, although Lightroom had created a
    sub-folder named "Lightroom Burned Exports."
    > there are also lightroom plugins that can directly export to flickr and
    > other photo sharing sites, without saving an interim file.
    >
    >> (I am using Lightroom 1.1 and Vista Home Premium.)

    > you just bought it and it's version 1.1?? at a minimum, you should
    > update to 1.4.1, and maybe look at 2.0 beta.

    Yes, I bought it just this week from Academic Superstore (an online source
    for academic discounts). It never occurred to me that I might be buying an
    outdated version. Ironically, I bought Corel Wordperfect Office X4 at the
    same time, and that clearly is the newest version.

    Thanks, again.
    --
    MaryL

    MaryL, Jun 13, 2008
  4. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    > MaryL wrote:
    >>>
    >>> you just bought it and it's version 1.1?? at a minimum, you should
    >>> update to 1.4.1, and maybe look at 2.0 beta.

    >> Yes, I bought it just this week from Academic Superstore (an online
    >> source for academic discounts). It never occurred to me that I might be
    >> buying an outdated version. Ironically, I bought Corel Wordperfect
    >> Office X4 at the same time, and that clearly is the newest version.
    >>

    > Simply go to Adobe's site and download version 1.4.1 and install. (All
    > updates have been free so far, but there will be a charge to update to
    > v2.0, which is currently in public beta.)
    >
    > There's also a pretty decent user to user forum you can register for both
    > v 1 and the beta.
    >
    > --
    > John McWilliams

    Thanks! I'll do that. I also bought Adobe Photoshop Elements 6, so I have
    my (learning) work cut out for me.

    MaryL

    MaryL, Jun 14, 2008