    connects to it?

    Thanks
    , Jan 1, 2005

  2. Dan DiNicolo Guest

    The primary ways are by implementing MAC security and then requiring WPA
    encryption for all connections:

    http://www.2000trainers.com/article.aspx?articleID=293&page=1

    Dan
    --
    Dan DiNicolo
    MCSE, CCNP, CCDA

    Dan DiNicolo, Jan 1, 2005

  3. wrote in news:eek:midt09pcun7ftu2kkvo58nfd1vnbhd9ff@
    4ax.com:

    > I want to add wireless router in my biz. But I dont want anyone else
    > to have access to it.
    >
    > So how can I make a restriction so only my laptop or my son's laptop
    > connects to it?
    >
    > Thanks

    Depends on the wireless router, or wired router with wireless access
    point (WAP).

    Most have 2 forms of security: WEP & MAC address filtering.

    WEP is Wireless Encryption Protocol, and most have this feature with 64,
    128, 256 &/or 512 bit key features. You make a key, using the router's
    (or WAP's) GUI, then fill it in on the machines to which you want to
    grant access. It slows down file transfers a little, but in most cases,
    not very noticable.

    MAC address filtering is usually by a) filtering out specific MAC
    addresses, or, b) allowing only certain MAC addresses access. Again,
    this feature is in the GUI tabs, and quite straight-forward. The biggest
    problem will be determining the MAC addresses of the machines which you
    wish to filter.

    Best bet is to record those somewhere in case you want to make
    adjustments from time to time.

    Cheers for the new years!
    Micky McBride, Jan 1, 2005
  4. DC Guest

    Dan DiNicolo wrote:

    [...]

    Dan, if you insist on top posting, could you please not place your sig
    *above* the quoted text? Everything beneath it gets snipped by
    newsreaders on reply to you.

    Thanks.

    PS: this will help:

    Happy New Year.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    It's not the software that's free; it's you.
    DC, Jan 1, 2005
  5. Dan DiNicolo Guest

    DC wrote:
    > Dan DiNicolo wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > Dan, if you insist on top posting, could you please not place your sig
    > *above* the quoted text? Everything beneath it gets snipped by
    > newsreaders on reply to you.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > PS: this will help:

    > Happy New Year.

    One hundred thousand pardons. Thanks for the link!

    --
    Dan DiNicolo
    MCSE, CCNP, CCDA
    Dan DiNicolo, Jan 1, 2005
  6. John Holmes Guest

    DC came up with this:

    > Dan DiNicolo wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > Dan, if you insist on top posting, could you please not place your sig
    > *above* the quoted text? Everything beneath it gets snipped by
    > newsreaders on reply to you.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > PS: this will help:

    > Happy New Year.

    Dan RiDiculo doesn't know how to use a newsreader, yet. We cannot blame
    him, since he is only a Minesweeper Consultant and Solitaire Expert.
    Just wait, he'll be here poasting some more bullshit.

    --
    -John Holmes-

    "It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."
    John Holmes, Jan 1, 2005
  7. DC Guest

    Dan DiNicolo wrote:
    > DC wrote:
    >> Dan DiNicolo wrote:

    >> [...]

    >> Dan, if you insist on top posting, could you please not place your sig
    >> *above* the quoted text? Everything beneath it gets snipped by
    >> newsreaders on reply to you.

    >> Thanks.

    >> PS: this will help:

    >> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

    >> Happy New Year.

    > One hundred thousand pardons. Thanks for the link!

    Bottom posting -- even better!

    Thank *you*. }:O)

    DC, Jan 1, 2005
  8. DC Guest

    John Holmes wrote:
    > DC came up with this:

    >> Dan DiNicolo wrote:

    >> [...]

    >> Dan, if you insist on top posting, could you please not place your sig
    >> *above* the quoted text? Everything beneath it gets snipped by
    >> newsreaders on reply to you.

    >> Thanks.

    >> PS: this will help:

    >> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

    >> Happy New Year.

    > Dan RiDiculo doesn't know how to use a newsreader, yet. We cannot blame
    > him, since he is only a Minesweeper Consultant and Solitaire Expert.
    > Just wait, he'll be here poasting some more bullshit.

    I don't know about that, but it would appear that there is hope, yet.

    It's Noel that doesn't seem to get it.

    DC, Jan 1, 2005
  9. henny Guest

    "DC" <> wrote in message
    > Dan DiNicolo wrote:
    > > DC wrote:
    > >> Dan DiNicolo wrote:

    > >> [...]

    > >> Dan, if you insist on top posting, could you please not place your sig
    > >> *above* the quoted text? Everything beneath it gets snipped by
    > >> newsreaders on reply to you.

    > >> Thanks.

    > >> PS: this will help:

    > >> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

    > >> Happy New Year.

    > > One hundred thousand pardons. Thanks for the link!

    > Bottom posting -- even better!
    >
    > Thank *you*. }:O)

    Dan DiNicolo MCSE, CCNP, CCDA
    Fast learner.
    There is hope after all! :)
    henny, Jan 1, 2005
  10. Dan DiNicolo Guest

    henny wrote:
    > "DC" <> wrote in message
    >> Dan DiNicolo wrote:

    >>> One hundred thousand pardons. Thanks for the link!

    >> Bottom posting -- even better!
    >>
    >> Thank *you*. }:O)

    > Dan DiNicolo MCSE, CCNP, CCDA
    > Fast learner.
    > There is hope after all! :)

    You guys done learned me good ;)

    --
    Dan DiNicolo
    Dan DiNicolo, Jan 1, 2005
  11. henny Guest

    "Dan DiNicolo" <> wrote in message
    > henny wrote:
    > > "DC" <> wrote in message

    > >> Bottom posting -- even better!
    > >>
    > >> Thank *you*. }:O)

    > > Dan DiNicolo MCSE, CCNP, CCDA
    > > Fast learner.
    > > There is hope after all! :)

    > You guys done learned me good ;)

    Thank you very much for understanding, learning and doing the 'right thing'.
    Much appreciated! :)
    henny, Jan 1, 2005
  12. John Holmes Guest

    Dan DiNicolo came up with this:

    > henny wrote:
    >> "DC" <> wrote in message

    >>> Bottom posting -- even better!
    >>>
    >>> Thank *you*. }:O)

    >> Dan DiNicolo MCSE, CCNP, CCDA
    >> Fast learner.
    >> There is hope after all! :)

    > You guys done learned me good ;)

    I love it when a plan gets toghether......

    --
    -John Holmes-

    "It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."
    John Holmes, Jan 1, 2005