How can I replace a DVD's wide screen movie with a full screen movie from another DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by blackhole@aol.com, Oct 17, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi experts,

    I have two DVD copies of National Treasure. One has a full screen
    NTSC movie on it but the extras on it that have the treasure search
    game, etc., are all broken.

    I have a second DVD of the same movie where the extras work just fine,
    but the movie is in wide screen format.

    I would like to delete the wide screen movie and replace it with the
    full screen movie (sorry purists) to have a fully working DVD.

    I tried doing a direct replacement of the VOB movie files, and this sort
    of worked at first. But when I went to view the movie, it was squashed
    back down to wide screen, and naturally, everything in the movie was
    squat. So I figured I would have to use some sort of editor to do it.

    I tried using DvdRemake, but I found it confusing to understand the
    manual.

    Is there some easy (easier) way I can do this, maybe with some other
    software? Or explain how to do this easily in DVD Remake?

    Thanks,
    Marcel

    , Oct 17, 2005

  2. Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    "" <> wrote:

    > Hi experts,
    >
    > I have two DVD copies of National Treasure. One has a full screen
    > NTSC movie on it but the extras on it that have the treasure search
    > game, etc., are all broken.
    >
    > I have a second DVD of the same movie where the extras work just fine,
    > but the movie is in wide screen format.
    >
    > I would like to delete the wide screen movie and replace it with the
    > full screen movie

    FOOL screen yourself outta here. Sorry, but I will offer no assistance
    to someone who has no respect for a film makers vision. This isn't 1990;
    the days of pan & scan VHS are long gone. Toss that POS "full screen"
    DVD in the trash where it belongs.

    www.widescreen.org

    Black Locust, Oct 17, 2005

  3. Simon Howson Guest

    Re: How can I replace a DVD's wide screen movie with a full screenmovie from another DVD?

    wrote:

    > I would like to delete the wide screen movie and replace it with the
    > full screen movie (sorry purists) to have a fully working DVD.

    You just rub the shiny sides of the discs against each other, and the
    image will be transfered between the discs.

    Simon Howson

    Simon Howson, Oct 17, 2005
  4. "" <> wrote:

    >I have two DVD copies of National Treasure. One has a full screen
    >NTSC movie on it but the extras on it that have the treasure search
    >game, etc., are all broken.
    >
    >I have a second DVD of the same movie where the extras work just fine,
    >but the movie is in wide screen format.
    >
    >I would like to delete the wide screen movie and replace it with the
    >full screen movie (sorry purists) to have a fully working DVD.
    >
    >I tried doing a direct replacement of the VOB movie files, and this sort
    >of worked at first. But when I went to view the movie, it was squashed
    >back down to wide screen, and naturally, everything in the movie was
    >squat. So I figured I would have to use some sort of editor to do it.

    Since most movies these days are shot full-frame and masked to widescreen in
    the theater projector, your quest is not as outlandish as some faux-purists
    may wish to make it seem. (I don't know the specifics about this particular
    movie, however.)

    If I understand your complaint about your re-made disc, try this: when you
    go to play this movie, go into your player's setup and find the setting for
    TV type. Change it to 16:9 or widescreen or something like that and see how
    your movie looks. Naturally, you will have to change it back after you watch
    this disc, but it could work.

    IF that's not satisfactory, perhaps it will help to take your problem to
    finer details. How is it that the extras on one disc are "broken" but the
    movie plays? Is the disc physically damaged? Could it be player
    incompatibility--that the disc will work on another player?

    Kimba W. Lion, Oct 17, 2005
  5. Peter_L Guest

    Hi
    I think this information is stored inside the IFO file.
    You could try editing the IFO file with freeware IFOedit and replace "16:9"
    with "4:3".
    Hope that helps
    Peter

    Peter_L, Oct 17, 2005
  6. Large Farva Guest

    Just buy the VHS and a 25 year old TV if you want the fullscreen version.

    Large Farva, Oct 18, 2005
  7. noblejones Guest

    Re: How can I replace a DVD's . . . Use DVD2one

    Use DVD2one to join the full screen feature from disc A to the extras
    from disc B. Get the app -- the help file will explain everything --
    it's pretty easy.

    I prefer widescreen, myself.

    noblejones, Oct 18, 2005
  8. "Black 'Dumbya' Locust" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > "" <> wrote:
    >
    > FOOL screen yourself outta here. Sorry, but I will offer no assistance
    > to someone who has no respect for a film makers vision. This isn't 1990;
    > the days of pan & scan VHS are long gone. Toss that POS "full screen"
    > DVD in the trash where it belongs.
    >
    > www.widescreen.org
    > --
    > "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we.
    > They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our
    > people,
    > and neither do we." - President George W. Bush

    Given the movie in question, I don't see how "respect for the film-makers
    vision" is that big an issue.

    The Man With No Name, Oct 18, 2005
  9. Black Locust Guest

    In article <43547545$0$11682$>,
    "The Man With No Name" <> wrote:

    > Given the movie in question, I don't see how "respect for the film-makers
    > vision" is that big an issue.

    True, but if you're going to watch a turd like National Treasure, you
    might as well watch it correctly. :)

    Black Locust, Oct 18, 2005
  10. Marcel Guest

    Black Locust <> wrote in

    > In article <>,
    > "" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi experts,
    >>
    >> I would like to delete the wide screen movie and replace it with the
    >> full screen movie

    > FOOL screen yourself outta here. Sorry, but I will offer no assistance
    > to someone who has no respect for a film makers vision. This isn't
    > 1990; the days of pan & scan VHS are long gone. Toss that POS "full
    > screen" DVD in the trash where it belongs.

    Sorry, but I disagree. I have both movies together and am able to
    compare them side by side, and as far as I see it, the full screen
    version is actually the cut off one, cropped off from the top and
    bottom, to make a "trunkated" wide screen version.

    You can actually see this when stopping both movies at the exact same
    frame on the computer, in this case, the boy walking through the attic.

    His head in the full version is clear and freed up so you can see more
    of the attic above and below him, more of the feeling of where he is in
    that huge old attic, while the wide screen version has his head almost
    cut off and almost as if in a crawl space of a crappy modern house.

    So your "purist" bull is false.

    And I refuse to pay an over-charged, exorbidant amount of money just to
    watch a wide screen TV, when my perfectly good 31 inch Sony TV still has
    as bright a picture as the day I bought it.

    Marcel

    Marcel, Oct 18, 2005
  11. Marcel Guest

    Kimba W. Lion <> wrote in

    > "" <> wrote:
    >>I would like to delete the wide screen movie and replace it with the
    >>full screen movie (sorry purists) to have a fully working DVD.

    > Since most movies these days are shot full-frame and masked to
    > widescreen in the theater projector, your quest is not as outlandish
    > as some faux-purists may wish to make it seem. (I don't know the
    > specifics about this particular movie, however.)

    Thanks for the honest reply, and that is exactly the case in these two
    releases, the wide screen version is actually the full screen version,
    cropped off, as I stated in my follow up reply to that nut case.

    I'm sure this isn't the case with the earlier releases, and pan and scan
    was needed. But I'm fairly certain now, especially after seeing this one
    side by side, that it is probably the norm now for todays movies to do
    this, in order to save the money on pan-and-scan editing later.

    So it is actually the wide-screen viewers of today who are losing out on
    film "real-estate".

    I remember when DVDs first came out, they were promising that they would
    always have "both" versions available on the same CD, so you could view
    either one, depending which TV type you owned.

    Obviously, that never happened.

    > If I understand your complaint about your re-made disc, try this: when
    > you go to play this movie, go into your player's setup and find the
    > setting for TV type. Change it to 16:9 or widescreen or something like
    > that and see how your movie looks. Naturally, you will have to change
    > it back after you watch this disc, but it could work.

    I will take your advice and try hand-authoring it again, and burning it
    to a test DVD-RW to see if that works. I only noticed this artifact on my
    computer with Power-DVD and believed it would do the same on my Phillips
    DVP642.

    > IF that's not satisfactory, perhaps it will help to take your problem
    > to finer details. How is it that the extras on one disc are "broken"
    > but the movie plays? Is the disc physically damaged? Could it be
    > player incompatibility--that the disc will work on another player?

    The extras on the broken disk were from the one I downloaded off one of
    the cross-posted newsgroups here. I believe the original posted tried
    compressing it to save the extras, but now it comes out as stuttered
    images, so it probably is unsalvagable.

    The wide screen one was from an original DVD borrowed from a library,
    so it's menus work fine.

    Interestingly, the wide screen version has all the xtras in full screen,
    including that game on it. Go figure.

    Marcel

    Marcel, Oct 18, 2005
  12. In article <>, Marcel
    <> wrote:

    > So it is actually the wide-screen viewers of today who are losing out on
    > film "real-estate".

    Not really. It all depends on the director of the movie and what
    format he filmed the movie in.

    There are directors that don't care for widescreen and film in
    fullscreen and crop the movie and there are directors that only film in
    widescreen and then crop/pan and scan for a fullscreen.

    There are many types of cameras and filming methods...

    Don't base your assumptions on one movie.

    Herman

    Herman Munster, Oct 18, 2005
  13. Get TMPGenc DVD Author. http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda.html
    Open VOBs and choose chapters that you want to keep from DVD 1.
    Open VOBs and choose chapters that you want to keep from DVD 2.
    Tinker with the menu structure and chapters until you are happy with them.
    Burn.

    Darren Garrison, Oct 18, 2005
  14. Jordan Guest

    Aha, so you are both a full screen moron and an asshole video pirate.

    Go to the store, buy the full screen version. Problem solved.

    - Jordan

    Jordan, Oct 19, 2005
  15. Mark Spatny Guest

    On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 01:17:46 -0500, Marcel <> wrote:

    >Thanks for the honest reply, and that is exactly the case in these two
    >releases, the wide screen version is actually the full screen version,
    >cropped off, as I stated in my follow up reply to that nut case.
    >
    >I'm sure this isn't the case with the earlier releases, and pan and scan
    >was needed. But I'm fairly certain now, especially after seeing this one
    >side by side, that it is probably the norm now for todays movies to do
    >this, in order to save the money on pan-and-scan editing later.

    Are there any other facts that you are fairly certain of? I imagine
    someone with your convictions could be fairly certain that the earth
    is flat and that the moon landing was faked.

    You should try to become more informed about a subject before you
    claim to be "fairly certain" about anything. Your knowledge of film
    aspect ratios and home video formats is somewhat lacking. Perhaps you
    should read up a little. I would suggest doing searches with the
    keywords "open matte transfer" and "anamorphic 2.35 aspect ratio"
    before you claim to know what the norm is for today's movies. You'll
    find that there are a high percentage of movies which cannot be
    transfered open matte as you suggest.

    I would also suggest that seeing more picture doesn't mean seeing a
    better picture.

    Mark Spatny, Oct 19, 2005
  16. Guest Guest

    Guest, Oct 19, 2005