    Regards.

    Chris.
    Please remove MAPSON (NOSPAM backwards) to reply to me by email.

    Chris Mitchell, Feb 15, 2004

  2. On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 06:09:29 +0000 (UTC), Chris Mitchell
    <> wrote:

    >How can I read and possibly edit *.dat files on a win 98 SE system?
    >
    >Are there any dangers associated with this that I should be aware of?

    ..DAT files are data files, which doesn't say anything about their
    format. It might be ASCII, it might be binary.

    The best, and only foolproof, way is to use the program which created
    the file.

    You can look inside, with care, using a disk file editor.

    About the best way to examine these files though is to use the very
    old, but very, very functional, LIST utility from Vern Buerg,
    obtainable from http://www.buerg.com/ and about a billion other
    places. To quote him:

    "LIST is a general purpose file browsing and viewing utility. Although
    it is DOS based, it performs well under all version of Windows and
    supports long file names."

    Gordon

    Gordon Findlay, Feb 15, 2004

  3. Chris Mitchell

    Will Dormann Guest

    Chris Mitchell wrote:

    > How can I read and possibly edit *.dat files on a win 98 SE system?
    >
    > Are there any dangers associated with this that I should be aware of?

    I like UltraEdit as an all-purpose file viewer. When installed, it
    provides a shell extension, so you can just right-click on any file and
    view it with UltraEdit.

    -WD

    Will Dormann, Feb 15, 2004
  4. Chris Mitchell

    *Vanguard* Guest

    "Chris Mitchell" said in news:c0n2ep$bks$:
    > How can I read and possibly edit *.dat files on a win 98 SE system?
    >
    > Are there any dangers associated with this that I should be aware of?

    Hex Editor (http://www.hhdsoftware.com/). You right-click on the file and
    select "Hex Editor" from the context menu. Freeware.

    BinText (http://www.foundstone.com/resources/forensics.htm). Right-click
    and use Send To -> BinText (if you created a shortcut to it in your Send To
    group). Free.

    *** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

    *Vanguard*, Feb 15, 2004
  5. On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 06:09:29 +0000 (UTC), Chris Mitchell
    <> wrote:

    >How can I read and possibly edit *.dat files on a win 98 SE system?
    >
    >Are there any dangers associated with this that I should be aware of?

    From a post in alt.comp.freeware:

    Quote:

    Program Name: Index.dat Suite
    Version: 2.4.8
    Release Date: 13-02-2004
    Homepage: http://www.it-mate.co.uk/support/idsuite.asp
    Download: http://www.it-mate.co.uk/support/idsuite_download.asp
    History: http://www.it-mate.co.uk/support/idsuite_history.asp

    Index.dat Suite is a rather unique program that allows you not only to
    delete the index.dat files, temporary internet files, temp files,
    cookies
    and history, but it also allows you to view the index.dat files on
    your
    system.

    Index.dat Suite's current features include;

    ..: View index.dat files
    ..: Delete index.dat files
    ..: View and delete Temporary Internet Files (TIF)
    ..: View and delete Cookies
    ..: View and delete History
    ..: View and delete Temp files
    ..: Auto-generation of batch file to assist in deleting the index.dat
    files
    in DOS.
    ..: Optional add to RunOnce registry key
    ..: Optional deletion of swap file (9x users only)
    ..: Optional defrag after file deletion

    Updates

    ..: Improved extraction speed for index.dat file viewer
    ..: Removed prompt for file generator (now only shows if filename
    setting is
    blank, or incorrect platform setting is found)
    ..: Removed registry dependancy for program settings (see Notes)
    ..: Cleaned up internal coding
    ..: Updated EULA and Distribution information to keep inline with
    online
    updated copies

    Update Notes:

    For update notes, please see: