    work from CD.

    Thanks
    Craig
    Craig, Sep 5, 2005

  2. Craig

    Guest

    my experience is there is no single answer.
    You need to figure out how the program works.
    You need to look and see if there are any BAT, INI, or CFG that direct
    the program to look on the A: drive and repoint them. The best
    pointing would be to leave out the drive letter cause that can change.
    But then that might not work.
    I would first try putting each floppy in a folder "disk1", "disk2",
    etc. If there are pointers on each disk you can try repointing to the
    appropriate folder. Burn to cdrw and try it.
    If the programmer was a little brain dead and hard coded the floppy
    installer for the A; drive then it becomes a LITTLE more difficult.

    good luck.

    On 4 Sep 2005 19:14:40 -0700, "Craig" <> wrote:

    > For example, I still use FoxPro 2.6 a lot and they are on about 6
    >floppies that I use to install the program.
    >
    > Most likely my next computer wont have a floppy drive,
    >
    > How should I put these onto a CD and still be able to install the
    >program properly.
    >
    > Would the install for FoxPro always need to look in the A drive ?
    > And when it says to install disk 3 for example, how can I get that to
    >work from CD.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Craig
    , Sep 5, 2005

  3. Craig

    Toolman Tim Guest

    e wrote:
    > my experience is there is no single answer.
    > You need to figure out how the program works.
    > You need to look and see if there are any BAT, INI, or CFG that direct
    > the program to look on the A: drive and repoint them. The best
    > pointing would be to leave out the drive letter cause that can change.
    > But then that might not work.
    > I would first try putting each floppy in a folder "disk1", "disk2",
    > etc. If there are pointers on each disk you can try repointing to the
    > appropriate folder. Burn to cdrw and try it.
    > If the programmer was a little brain dead and hard coded the floppy
    > installer for the A; drive then it becomes a LITTLE more difficult.

    That's a fact <g>

    Another strategy that often works, is to dump the files from all the
    floppies into one folder. Obviously, this won't work if they used the same
    filename(s) on more than one floppy disk. That really is uncommon though.
    Oh - and sometimes they actually use the volume name on the media to
    determine if the correct disk is in the drive. That really sucks <g> and
    there isn't much you can do about it.

    I have done this with a couple versions of MS Access (1.x and 2.x) and made
    it work. So, since Foxpro is a MS product, it is quite likely the OP will be
    successful.

    > good luck.

    Ditto ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Sep 5, 2005
  4. Craig

    Plato Guest

    e wrote:

    > I would first try putting each floppy in a folder "disk1", "disk2",
    > etc. If there are pointers on each disk you can try repointing to the

    It's been so long but I put the win3x floppies on a cd once way back and
    yes, you had to look at the lable of each disk and then lable each
    folder as you said, disk1, etc. Many people had 2 floppy drives at the
    time, perhaps A: was the 5 1/4 and B: was the 1.44 so many programs
    didnt look for drive A:, but rather the label on the disk.
    Plato, Sep 5, 2005
  5. Craig

    Shawn Guest

    "Craig" <> wrote in message
    > For example, I still use FoxPro 2.6 a lot and they are on about 6
    > floppies that I use to install the program.
    >
    > Most likely my next computer wont have a floppy drive,
    >
    > How should I put these onto a CD and still be able to install the
    > program properly.
    >
    > Would the install for FoxPro always need to look in the A drive ?
    > And when it says to install disk 3 for example, how can I get that to
    > work from CD.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Craig

    id say throw all files on a cd and try the install from the new disc you
    made, if it works then it works
    Shawn, Sep 5, 2005
  6. Craig

    Trax Guest

    "Craig" <> wrote:

    |> For example, I still use FoxPro 2.6 a lot and they are on about 6
    |>floppies that I use to install the program.
    |>
    |> Most likely my next computer wont have a floppy drive,
    |>
    |> How should I put these onto a CD and still be able to install the
    |>program properly.
    |>
    |> Would the install for FoxPro always need to look in the A drive ?
    |> And when it says to install disk 3 for example, how can I get that to
    |>work from CD.

    Good info from the rest - to add, put one of the disk in your floppy,
    do a dir on it and look at the volume (label) name, if it's blank
    that's it's copy protection. (Dos 5 and 6 had this).

    To crack it you need'd to use: LABEL " "
    Not sure how you'd do this with them on a CD

    When installing the programs and if it does require A:\ to install,
    you can use DOSBOX and mount your cd directory as A:\
    http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1
    --

    Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
    Trax, Sep 5, 2005
  7. Craig

    Unk Guest

    On 4 Sep 2005 19:14:40 -0700, "Craig" <> wrote:

    > For example, I still use FoxPro 2.6 a lot and they are on about 6
    >floppies that I use to install the program.
    >
    > Most likely my next computer wont have a floppy drive,
    >
    > How should I put these onto a CD and still be able to install the
    >program properly.
    >
    > Would the install for FoxPro always need to look in the A drive ?
    > And when it says to install disk 3 for example, how can I get that to
    >work from CD.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Craig

    Insert disk number one of the install set in the floppy drive.
    Double click "My Computer", right-click the floppy drive and select "Properties"
    At the top of the window that opens, by the icon of a floppy drive, is a box. Note the EXACT
    name in the box and write it down. From your description, it should be "disk 1".
    Repeat, until you've written down the names of the six floppies.

    Double click "My Computer" and your C drive. Right-click a blank spot, select "New Folder" and
    call it "FoxPro". Now double-click the new folder "FoxPro", right-click a blank spot, select
    "New Folder", and rename it to the 1st floppies name. Repeat until you have created all six
    folders named disk 1, to disk 6, then minimize the window to the taskbar.

    Insert disk number one of the install set in the floppy drive.
    Double click "My Computer", double-click the floppy drive, select Edit, "Select All", Edit,
    "Copy". (You can also use Cntl+a then Cntl+c)
    Bring up the the folder "FoxPro", double-click "disk 1", select Edit, "Paste" (You can use
    Cntl+v). Repeat until you have copied all six floppies to their respective folder names in the
    C:\FoxPro\ folder.

    When you're done, you should have copies of the floppies, in separate folders, in the main
    folder named "FoxPro"

    You can install the program from this folder, or burn the "FoxPro" folder to a CD.
    When installing the program, when it asks for disk 2, just point it to the proper drive and
    folder name. Example C:\FoxPro\disk 2\ or E:\FoxPro\disk 2\ (where E:\ is the CD Rom Drive.)

    On most of those older programs, you could copy the contents of all the floppies to a single
    folder and install from there. If it asked for disk 2, just press enter.
    If there were duplicate filenames, most of the time they were junk like "ReadMe.txt" and could
    be ignored. Try copying all the floppy's files to the single new folder "FoxPro" first. If
    there were no significent duplicates, that's all you need to do.
    Unk, Sep 5, 2005
  8. Craig

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Trax wrote:
    > "Craig" <> wrote:
    >
    >>> For example, I still use FoxPro 2.6 a lot and they are on about 6
    >>> floppies that I use to install the program.
    >>>
    >>> Most likely my next computer wont have a floppy drive,
    >>>
    >>> How should I put these onto a CD and still be able to install the
    >>> program properly.
    >>>
    >>> Would the install for FoxPro always need to look in the A drive ?
    >>> And when it says to install disk 3 for example, how can I get that
    >>> to work from CD.

    > Good info from the rest - to add, put one of the disk in your floppy,
    > do a dir on it and look at the volume (label) name, if it's blank
    > that's it's copy protection. (Dos 5 and 6 had this).

    What copy protection on DOS? I copied those floppies dozens of times.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 5, 2005
  9. Craig

    Trax Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:

    |>> Good info from the rest - to add, put one of the disk in your floppy,
    |>> do a dir on it and look at the volume (label) name, if it's blank
    |>> that's it's copy protection. (Dos 5 and 6 had this).

    |>What copy protection on DOS? I copied those floppies dozens of times.

    Yep, most folks would format a disk then copy or xcopy the disk to the
    new floppy and it wouldn't work, you need'd to rename the label. I've
    had to do this, for back-up purposes...
    --

    Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
    Trax, Sep 5, 2005
  10. Craig

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Trax wrote:

    >>> What copy protection on DOS? I copied those floppies dozens of
    >>> times.

    > Yep, most folks would format a disk then copy or xcopy the disk to the
    > new floppy and it wouldn't work, you need'd to rename the label. I've
    > had to do this, for back-up purposes...

    Oh. I just just used diskcopy...silly me <g>

    Toolman Tim, Sep 5, 2005
  11. Craig

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 19:41:37 -0700, Toolman Tim wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> my experience is there is no single answer.
    >> You need to figure out how the program works.
    >> You need to look and see if there are any BAT, INI, or CFG that direct
    >> the program to look on the A: drive and repoint them. The best
    >> pointing would be to leave out the drive letter cause that can change.
    >> But then that might not work.
    >> I would first try putting each floppy in a folder "disk1", "disk2",

    <snip>

    >That's a fact <g>
    >
    >Another strategy that often works, is to dump the files from all the
    >floppies into one folder. Obviously, this won't work if they used the same
    >filename(s) on more than one floppy disk. That really is uncommon though.

    If there is a file on the floppy DISK1, DISK2 then it usually worked
    IIRC when copied to a single folder.

    >Oh - and sometimes they actually use the volume name on the media to
    >determine if the correct disk is in the drive. That really sucks <g> and
    >there isn't much you can do about it.
    >
    >I have done this with a couple versions of MS Access (1.x and 2.x) and made
    >it work. So, since Foxpro is a MS product, it is quite likely the OP will be

    MS FoxPro is an MS product, wrecked after MS bought it. FoxPro was good
    otherwise.

    >successful.
    >
    >> good luck.

    >Ditto ;o)
    >

    >> On 4 Sep 2005 19:14:40 -0700, "Craig" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> For example, I still use FoxPro 2.6 a lot and they are on about 6
    >>> floppies that I use to install the program.
    >>>
    >>> Most likely my next computer wont have a floppy drive,
    >>>
    >>> How should I put these onto a CD and still be able to install the
    >>> program properly.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Sep 5, 2005
  12. Craig

    Trax Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:

    |>Trax wrote:

    |>> Yep, most folks would format a disk then copy or xcopy the disk to the
    |>> new floppy and it wouldn't work, you need'd to rename the label. I've
    |>> had to do this, for back-up purposes...

    |>Oh. I just just used diskcopy...silly me <g>

    He won't have that option, just a heads up.

    --

    Eagles may soar, but weasels are seldom sucked into jet engines.
    Trax, Sep 5, 2005
  13. Craig

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Trax wrote:

    >>> Oh. I just just used diskcopy...silly me <g>

    > He won't have that option, just a heads up.

    I know - I was talking about the DOS setup floppies. They didn't really have
    copy protection, just bizarre volume labels.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 5, 2005
  14. Craig

    Grampygramps Guest

    Re: How can I put old programs on floppy to CD and still installthem ?

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > Trax wrote:

    >>Good info from the rest - to add, put one of the disk in your floppy,
    >>do a dir on it and look at the volume (label) name, if it's blank
    >>that's it's copy protection. (Dos 5 and 6 had this).

    > What copy protection on DOS? I copied those floppies dozens of times.
    >

    >>To crack it you need'd to use: LABEL " "
    >>Not sure how you'd do this with them on a CD
    >>
    >>When installing the programs and if it does require A:\ to install,
    >>you can use DOSBOX and mount your cd directory as A:\
    >>http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

    http://www.judge-software.co.uk/
    Floppy to CD Archiver
    Grampygramps, Sep 18, 2005
  15. Craig

    Ish Taylor Guest

    "Grampygramps" <> wrote in message
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    > > Trax wrote:

    > >>Good info from the rest - to add, put one of the disk in your floppy,
    > >>do a dir on it and look at the volume (label) name, if it's blank
    > >>that's it's copy protection. (Dos 5 and 6 had this).

    > > What copy protection on DOS? I copied those floppies dozens of times.
    > >

    > >>To crack it you need'd to use: LABEL " "
    > >>Not sure how you'd do this with them on a CD
    > >>
    > >>When installing the programs and if it does require A:\ to install,
    > >>you can use DOSBOX and mount your cd directory as A:\
    > >>http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

    > http://www.judge-software.co.uk/
    > Floppy to CD Archiver

    I haven't done that since I copied "VB1" and "Master C" (mid 90s) to CD,
    but seemes like you have to edit an INI file that tells the installer where
    to look for the next part,. ie disk 2, etc. Anyway, it worked so it can be
    done, and it did not involve copy protection. It will be a file written in
    plain text, so edit it to look for a folder on the CD like "disk 2" etc
    Ish Taylor, Sep 18, 2005
  16. Craig

    Guest

    I did finally do this and it worked fine, to my surprise actually.

    I copied all of the floppies to a folder and then clicked on the
    setup program and it loaded fine,

    It didnt ask for me to change disks or anything, as it was installing
    it just went from Disk 1 to Disk 2 etc.

    Far smoother then I would have expected.

    Craig
    , Sep 29, 2005