How can I play audio-dvd in surround mode with a digital receiver?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Stefan, Dec 14, 2003.

  1. Stefan

    Stefan Guest

    I have just bought a digital surround receiver (Panasonic SA-XR 15) for my
    DVD-player (Panasonic DVD-S75 for DVD video and

    audio), and it works fine for video DVDs in 5.1 or DTS.

    But I have problems to play a dvd-audio ("Gary moore, back to the blues": Dolby
    digital, 5.1, no DTS):
    Although the DVD player shows that it recognizes surround sound ("PPCM 96K24b
    6ch") and sends this also to his analog

    surround out (I tested this by connecting a walkman speaker to front, rear and
    center cinch output, and there is music on

    each channel), my receiver gets only stereo sound (it shows "L R", while the
    LEDs for center, surround and subwoofer are

    off).

    Unfortunately, the receiver has only a digital line in (optical or coax) for
    surround and no analog line in (I would expect 6

    x cinch, but there are only 2 for stereo), otherwise I would just connect the
    DVD-player's "out" to the receiver's "in". So I

    have to get along with the digital connection (which works for DVD-video, as I
    mentioned above).

    So I have the following suspicion:
    Maybe there is some copy protection mechanism on the DVD-audio (which is not on
    DVD-videos), and this mechanism prevents the

    DVD-player from sending a full digital 5.1 signal.

    Of course I can just use the stereo signal (on analog in) and mix it up to
    simulated surround - but why then buy a DVD-audio?

    Does anybody know about this problem?

    Is it possible to recognize a DVD with such copy protection (if I am right),
    and are there any DVD audios which do not have

    such? Or does this just mean, I cannot listen to DVD audios with my system
    (quite disappointing...)?

    Thanks for help!
    Stefan, Dec 14, 2003

  2. Stefan

    Richard C. Guest

    :
[...]

    Your receiver must have 6 analog inputs in order for you to play DVD-A.
    :
    Richard C., Dec 14, 2003