How can I play *.asf in Firefox without first downloading?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by R. L., Aug 6, 2004.

  1. R. L.

    R. L. Guest

    Hi, I installed Firefox for my friend, imagining the finest
    days of being spyware free for her.

    However, she likes to listening to music/audio and watching
    video on the web, but she can't get the *.asf audio to
    "stream". She is using win 98 but I tried in my XP and it
    happen the same. Even after I set afx files to be played with
    WindowMediaPlayer. The download manager appears and start
    downloads the asf file. My friend wants to listen to it
    without waiting for the file to be downloaded all the way (as
    she is with a dial up connection). Realplayer some how works
    better, but not in all site. I have already installed the WMP
    plugin for her but it doesn't help. I researched on the
    problem with Google but didn't seem to find anything.

    Here is an example of the site that contains the media that
    she can't play in Firefox (it is a foreign site):

    http://www.llc.org.tw/speech/MsgMain.asp

    And an example link on the site that lead to the asf file is
    this one:

    http://media.llc.org.tw/Worship/Tai/T040801.asf

    I installed Firefox for her to get rid of the spyware problem
    and I really don't want to switch back to IE because of that.

    --
    RL
    Unofficial Adaware Updater (+other goodies)

    R. L., Aug 6, 2004

  2. R. L.

    Michael Guest

    Options> Tools> Make sure the Download Manager enabled box is unchecked.
    When I went to this site I was able to click on the link and clicked the
    open with AIFF plug-in and it immediately played in WMP.

    Mike

    "R. L." <(removethis)ringomeinew@_hot_mail_.YOU_KNOW_THE_REST> wrote in
    message news:Xns953CD8997ABF7ringomei@127.0.0.1...

    Michael, Aug 6, 2004

  3. R. L.

    Moz Champion Guest

    R. L. wrote:

    > Hi, I installed Firefox for my friend, imagining the finest
    > days of being spyware free for her.
    >
    > However, she likes to listening to music/audio and watching
    > video on the web, but she can't get the *.asf audio to
    > "stream". She is using win 98 but I tried in my XP and it
    > happen the same. Even after I set afx files to be played with
    > WindowMediaPlayer. The download manager appears and start
    > downloads the asf file. My friend wants to listen to it
    > without waiting for the file to be downloaded all the way (as
    > she is with a dial up connection). Realplayer some how works
    > better, but not in all site. I have already installed the WMP
    > plugin for her but it doesn't help. I researched on the
    > problem with Google but didn't seem to find anything.
    >
    > Here is an example of the site that contains the media that
    > she can't play in Firefox (it is a foreign site):
    >
    > http://www.llc.org.tw/speech/MsgMain.asp
    >
    > And an example link on the site that lead to the asf file is
    > this one:
    >
    > http://media.llc.org.tw/Worship/Tai/T040801.asf
    >
    > I installed Firefox for her to get rid of the spyware problem
    > and I really don't want to switch back to IE because of that.

    Known problem.

    The WMP registry has to be updated to accept versions of Mozilla (and
    Firefox) before being used.

    http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP

    When Windows Media Player 9.0 is installed, Mozilla still uses the
    Windows Media Player 6.4 control (bug 193883).
    Workaround: Applying the Windows Media Player 9.0 registry patch will
    make Mozilla use the Windows Media Player 9.0 control.

    see the page above for the actual link to the registry patch

    Note: This may or may not resolve the problem for you, please let me
    know. Unavailable on Mac (the patch) so I am unable to test.

    Note2: It isnt really a Mozilla 'bug' but one built into Windows Media
    Player

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Aug 6, 2004
  4. R. L.

    R. L. Guest

    Moz Champion <> says in
    :

    > R. L. wrote:
    >

    >> can't get the *.asf
    >> audio to "stream". She is using win 98 but I tried in my
    >> XP and it happen the same. Even after I set afx files to
    >> be played with WindowMediaPlayer. The download manager
    >> appears and start downloads the asf file. My friend
    >> wants to listen to it without waiting for the file to be
    >> downloaded all the way (as she is with a dial up
    >> connection).

    > Known problem.
    >
    > The WMP registry has to be updated to accept versions of
    > Mozilla (and Firefox) before being used.
    >
    > http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP
    >
    > When Windows Media Player 9.0 is installed, Mozilla still
    > uses the Windows Media Player 6.4 control (bug 193883).
    > Workaround: Applying the Windows Media Player 9.0 registry
    > patch will make Mozilla use the Windows Media Player 9.0
    > control.

    Thank you. I think this will be a problem for my friend
    because when the first time I saw the problem I was thinking
    that I might need to update here WMP (I kept her WMP 2.x
    version). I then installed the newest WMP version for her
    (after firefox has been installed) and think this might needed
    to be fixed with the patch you mentioned.

    Thanks

    R. L., Aug 6, 2004
  5. R. L.

    R. L. Guest

    "Michael" <> says in

    > "R. L."
    > <(removethis)ringomeinew@_hot_mail_.YOU_KNOW_THE_REST>
    > wrote in message news:Xns953CD8997ABF7ringomei@127.0.0.1...
    >>
    >> Hi, I installed Firefox for my friend, imagining the
    >> finest days of being spyware free for her.
    >>
    >> However, she likes to listening to music/audio and
    >> watching video on the web, but she can't get the *.asf
    >> audio to "stream". She is using win 98 but I tried in my
    >> XP and it happen the same. Even after I set afx files to
    >> be played with WindowMediaPlayer. The download manager
    >> appears and start downloads the asf file.

    [snipped]

    >> Here is an example of the site that contains the media
    >> that she can't play in Firefox (it is a foreign site):
    >>
    >> http://www.llc.org.tw/speech/MsgMain.asp
    >>
    >> And an example link on the site that lead to the asf file
    >> is this one:
    >>
    >> http://media.llc.org.tw/Worship/Tai/T040801.asf
    >>

    > Options> Tools> Make sure the Download Manager enabled box
    > is unchecked. When I went to this site I was able to click
    > on the link and clicked the open with AIFF plug-in and it
    > immediately played in WMP.
    >
    > Mike

    Hey, this one works immediately on my XP and will try it in 98
    - only I am thinking that I might have already tried this
    option sometime ago with my friend's, but will try again to
    make sure.

    thank you.

    R. L., Aug 6, 2004