  1. Bryce

    Bryce Guest

    how can I password protect the cmd program?
    Bryce, Nov 26, 2003

  2. Delete it !

    But why stop at CMD.EXE why not COMMAND.EXE ?

    Of course you won't be able to run DOS programs nor have an interactive command prompt to
    run command line utilities.

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Nov 27, 2003

  3. "Bryce" <> wrote in message
    > how can I password protect the cmd program?

    AFAIK, you can't.

    You /can/ set security ACLs (you seem to be using XP - right-click a file
    (and file) and go to the security tab to select/deselect users and groups.

    This won't stop someone from running commands directly from the Start menu -
    for that (and other things) you should Google for "XP Group Policy". Not
    available on XP Home, AFAIK.

    HTH

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!
    Hairy One Kenobi, Nov 27, 2003
  4. Bryce

    Leythos Guest

    In article <j1lxb.118$>, abuse@
    [127.0.0.1] says...
    > "Bryce" <> wrote in message
    > > how can I password protect the cmd program?

    > AFAIK, you can't.

    You can set the permissions on it so that only selected users have
    access to it - meaning NTFS permissions (security tab). I do this on all
    servers and esp. on web servers. (a lot more than just cmd also).

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, Nov 27, 2003
  5. "Leythos" <> wrote in message
    > In article <j1lxb.118$>, abuse@
    > [127.0.0.1] says...
    > > "Bryce" <> wrote in message
    > > > how can I password protect the cmd program?

    > > AFAIK, you can't.

    > You can set the permissions on it so that only selected users have
    > access to it - meaning NTFS permissions (security tab). I do this on all
    > servers and esp. on web servers. (a lot more than just cmd also).

    ...which basically restates what you snipped!

    H1K
    Hairy One Kenobi, Nov 27, 2003