How can I make an certificate for my webserver

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by Peter Bauer, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. Peter Bauer

    Peter Bauer Guest

    Hi

    I'm really new in this topic and I don't have the necessarry background
    to know all about create certificates.

    My goal is it to implement a certificate for my intranet website, so
    that people can make a secure connection to the webserver.

    I'm now really confused since I have read a lot of docs and posts in the
    internet how to create and set up certificates.

    There are a lot of "resellers" which sells a lot of signed certificates
    and provide a Certificate Authority. Is it really necessary to by a
    certificate ? ... can I make it self ? Must I have a certificate authority ?

    Questions about questions and I don't have a clear view about this topic

    Have anyone an understandable documentation to know more about this.
    Or links or anything, in english and german language.

    Thanks
    Peter

    Peter Bauer, Jan 20, 2006

  2. You said intranet. So do you mean only local clients or at minimum only
    people within your organization make a connection, either locally or via VPN
    or some other remote protocol??

    If this is the case you don't need to spend money on a Third Part CA like
    VeriSign, you could simply install Microsoft Certificate Services which is
    free provided you have a legitimate license for Windows Server 2003.

    Some detailed information can be found on TechNet.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...elp/d01a80dd-479a-444b-8893-68c40d61dd9c.mspx

    --
    ..rev.mct.mcngp.44

    accepting it.
    ~Aristotle
    ..

    The Rev [MCT], Jan 20, 2006

  3. Peter Bauer

    Peter Bauer Guest

    Yes

    I want to provide for my computers in my LAN certificates, that they can
    use it to connect over ssl onto my web server

    Peter Bauer, Jan 23, 2006
  4. Then install Microsoft Certificate Services fo sho...

    To get started open Add Remove Programs (appwiz.cpl) and under Windows
    Components add the Certificate services (Windows Server 2003 Standard or
    Enterprise) For the rest see the link in my previous email for help. It will
    be much easier than you may think.

    --
    ..rev.mct.mcngp.44

    accepting it.