    I'll let Bill Gates tell me when I have to restart my PC!

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry
    All Things Mopar, Oct 14, 2005

  2. All Things Mopar

    Trax Guest

    All Things Mopar <> wrote:

    |>Well, it happened again. I installed a security update to Win XP
    |>Pro SP1 and it is pestering me every 30 seconds to restart.
    |>There is no "cancel" button, just "restart now" and "notify me
    |>later".
    |>
    |>The updater doesn't show up as a running app and I don't see
    |>anything obvious in the list of running processes. What is the
    |>name of this POS and how can I kill it? I'll be God Damned if
    |>I'll let Bill Gates tell me when I have to restart my PC!

    Try: Start\Run SHUTDOWN -A <enter>

    This will abort a system shutdown. You can make a desktop shortcut for
    it so it's handy.

    FWIW this is a dos command and if you run it in a CMD window you will
    see the results.

    --
    911 operator tells caller fire is actually fog.
    Historic fort catches fog, burns to ground.
    Trax, Oct 14, 2005

  3. All Things Mopar

    EricP Guest

    On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 20:23:56 -0500, All Things Mopar <>
    wrote:

    >Well, it happened again. I installed a security update to Win XP
    >Pro SP1 and it is pestering me every 30 seconds to restart.
    >There is no "cancel" button, just "restart now" and "notify me
    >later".
    >
    >The updater doesn't show up as a running app and I don't see
    >anything obvious in the list of running processes. What is the
    >name of this POS and how can I kill it? I'll be God Damned if
    >I'll let Bill Gates tell me when I have to restart my PC!

    Only thing I have ever found is to push the damn thing as far off the
    screen as you can and ignore it until you are ready to let it off.
    EricP, Oct 14, 2005
  4. Today Trax spoke these views with conviction for everyone's
    edification:

    > Try: Start\Run SHUTDOWN -A <enter>
    >
    > This will abort a system shutdown. You can make a desktop
    > shortcut for it so it's handy.
    >
    > FWIW this is a dos command and if you run it in a CMD
    > window you will see the results.

    Thanks. But, when I try it, I see a DOS window open and close
    but the updater is sitting in my systray.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry
    All Things Mopar, Oct 14, 2005
  5. Today EricP spoke these views with conviction for everyone's
    edification:

    > Only thing I have ever found is to push the damn thing as
    > far off the screen as you can and ignore it until you are
    > ready to let it off.

    Hadn't thought of that. It pisses me off that even the red "X"
    to kill the dialog box is grayed out. I very well understand why
    some updates require a restart. Fine. But, I'll do it when I'm
    good and ready, not when Bill says I have to!

    The only thing that is worse is some misguided app installer or
    updater that doesn't even ask, it just does a restart and all
    you can do is watch it happen. Yeah, Windoze warns you of your
    unsaved work, but there are /lots/ of works-in-progress where
    you lose the change history as soon as you save, hence you're
    scrued.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry
    All Things Mopar, Oct 14, 2005
  6. All Things Mopar

    Trax Guest

    All Things Mopar <> wrote:

    |>Today Trax spoke these views with conviction for everyone's
    |>edification:
    |>
    |>> Try: Start\Run SHUTDOWN -A <enter>
    |>>
    |>> This will abort a system shutdown. You can make a desktop
    |>> shortcut for it so it's handy.
    |>>
    |>> FWIW this is a dos command and if you run it in a CMD
    |>> window you will see the results.

    |>Thanks. But, when I try it, I see a DOS window open and close
    |>but the updater is sitting in my systray.

    My bad, I thought that was what it was made for :)

    I don't do the auto update thing, having it disabled, so have never
    experienced the shutdown window after an update.

    If you Start\Run CMD <enter>
    then type in Shutdown /? it will give switches, and if you run the -a
    switch it will tell you things you might be able to use in the
    command.

    Trax, Oct 14, 2005
  7. All Things Mopar

    Mitch Guest

    In article <Xns96EED9AFBE95BReplyID@216.196.97.136>, All Things Mopar
    <> wrote:

    > Well, it happened again. I installed a security update to Win XP
    > Pro SP1 and it is pestering me every 30 seconds to restart.
    > There is no "cancel" button, just "restart now" and "notify me
    > later".
    >
    > The updater doesn't show up as a running app and I don't see
    > anything obvious in the list of running processes. What is the
    > name of this POS and how can I kill it? I'll be God Damned if
    > I'll let Bill Gates tell me when I have to restart my PC!

    You should resist all of Microsoft's and Gates' ideas about almost
    everything in the industry, but, um...
    Well, in this case it sounds like you updated running system parts.
    the system won't use them until they are loaded as system parts.
    You have to restart in order to do this. It's basic.

    It's like this: you just downloaded a new engine component. It keeps
    something from major damage when you are running, so you want this
    part.
    You can't replace it while the engine is running.
    You stop, replace the part, and then start again, and you have the
    protection of that new part.
    It's the same with an OS component.
    Mitch, Oct 14, 2005
  8. All Things Mopar

    Alt-Ctrl-Del Guest

    "All Things Mopar" <> wrote in message
    > Today EricP spoke these views with conviction for everyone's
    > edification:
    >
    >> Only thing I have ever found is to push the damn thing as
    >> far off the screen as you can and ignore it until you are
    >> ready to let it off.

    > Hadn't thought of that. It pisses me off that even the red "X"
    > to kill the dialog box is grayed out. I very well understand why
    > some updates require a restart. Fine. But, I'll do it when I'm
    > good and ready, not when Bill says I have to!

    Just don't tell Bill that you are doing it, restart the computer but do
    not let him know about it. Be sneaky and you will win your personal
    battle against Bill Gates.

    Alt
    Alt-Ctrl-Del, Oct 14, 2005
  9. Today Trax spoke these views with conviction for everyone's
    edification:

    > All Things Mopar <> wrote:
    >
    >|>Today Trax spoke these views with conviction for
    >|>everyone's edification:

    >|>Thanks. But, when I try it, I see a DOS window open and
    >|>close but the updater is sitting in my systray.
    >
    > My bad, I thought that was what it was made for :)

    No, not your bad, see below.

    > I don't do the auto update thing, having it disabled, so
    > have never experienced the shutdown window after an update.
    >
    > If you Start\Run CMD <enter>
    > then type in Shutdown /? it will give switches, and if you
    > run the -a switch it will tell you things you might be able
    > to use in the command.

    I opened a CMD window and did as you suggest. shutdown -a is
    definitely there but when I type it, I get a message "unable
    to abort since no shutdown is in process". I suppose I would
    have to try to do this /after/ I've let the Windoze updater at
    least initiate the shutdown. I'll try that.

    Thanks for the hints. I didn't even know about the shutdown
    function.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry
    All Things Mopar, Oct 14, 2005
  10. Today Mitch spoke these views with conviction for everyone's
    edification:

    > Well, in this case it sounds like you updated running
    > system parts. the system won't use them until they are
    > loaded as system parts. You have to restart in order to do
    > this. It's basic.

    I understand this part just fine. It's just that if I'm in the
    middle of something important to me, I don't want to stop
    working on it while Windoze takes it's damn sweet time
    shutting down, then starting up again, then loading my
    account.

    For example, if I'm in the middle of a long editing session of
    an image in PSP 9, I can and do use the History Pallette to do
    selective Undos of things that don't turn out well. Sure, I
    can save intermediate versions of a work-in-progress, but when
    I do, I lose the change history.

    > It's like this: you just downloaded a new engine component.
    > It keeps something from major damage when you are running,
    > so you want this part.
    > You can't replace it while the engine is running.
    > You stop, replace the part, and then start again, and you
    > have the protection of that new part.
    > It's the same with an OS component.

    I understand this part just fine, also. It'd be OK if my car
    is in the shop and the mechanic needs to restart it, but think
    of this analogy if you're driving along, and your car asks to
    download a patch to your engine computer. You say "yes" and it
    attempts to flash the controller chip. So far, so good. The
    car is still running and you are driving OK. Would /you/
    immediately shut off the engine and restart it while you're
    driving in heavy traffic on an interstate, or wait until you
    got to your destination?

    A reminder say, once an hour, would be more than enough. But
    every 30-60 seconds? Not!

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry
    All Things Mopar, Oct 14, 2005
  11. All Things Mopar

    Paul_B Guest

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 06:19:58 -0500, All Things Mopar wrote:

    > A reminder say, once an hour, would be more than enough. But
    > every 30-60 seconds? Not!

    I've learned that if I want to retain control of my computer as
    much as possible, I need to wean myself off Bill's mothering
    automations. No autoupdate, no remote plug and play, etc. Ms's
    ministrations are far from purely benign, AISI.

    p.
    Paul_B, Oct 14, 2005
  12. Today Paul_B spoke these views with conviction for everyone's
    edification:

    >> A reminder say, once an hour, would be more than enough.
    >> But every 30-60 seconds? Not!

    > I've learned that if I want to retain control of my
    > computer as much as possible, I need to wean myself off
    > Bill's mothering automations. No autoupdate, no remote plug
    > and play, etc. Ms's ministrations are far from purely
    > benign, AISI.

    I certainly agree in principle, Paul! Besides chucking Ol' Bill
    entirely and going to Linux, as long as I'm stuck with Windoze,
    I have to/should do critical updates and security updates. So, I
    have my autoupdate set to "ask before downloading". Then, I pick
    and choose what I want to install, in what order, and when.

    The problem that I'm complaining about and looking for a
    solution to is /after/ the update has been both downloaded and
    installed and Windoze wants me to restart. I understand why
    some/many patches need an restart, what I'm trying to do is kill
    the bullshit 60-90 times/hour reminder.

    What do you do? I assume you mean that you periodically check M
    $'s web site, download and install what you think you need/want.
    Assuming the updater wants you to restart, do you do it right
    then or wait? Maybe what you're saying to me is "don't let Bill
    run an update while you're working - finish what you're doing,
    /then/ update and restart as necessary"...

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry
    All Things Mopar, Oct 14, 2005
  13. All Things Mopar

    Paul_B Guest

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 06:58:07 -0500, All Things Mopar wrote:

    > What do you do? I assume you mean that you periodically check M
    > $'s web site, download and install what you think you need/want.
    > Assuming the updater wants you to restart, do you do it right
    > then or wait? Maybe what you're saying to me is "don't let Bill
    > run an update while you're working - finish what you're doing,
    > /then/ update and restart as necessary"...

    That's about right. I use as few MS products as possible. I have
    pretty safe Internet behavior. I have good anti-malware apps.
    Then, I do my maintenance on a weekly basis. I download MS
    updates only when I'm ready to terminate a session anyway. (Of
    late I've been shutting off the machine at night anyway. I save
    power and it's nice to have quiet and a sense of getting away
    from it).

    All that said, I can't remember being nagged by a need to restart
    alert. I've been notified in IE, I close the browser, and I
    usually can work on, though sometimes the session begins to
    degenerate, forcing the issue. But never and repeated nags.

    As for Linux, I couldn't get to first base with it being a
    practical answer for me. Wish I could say otherwise. One day, no
    doubt. Until then I'll still go OOo, FF, and TB, and the like.

    p.
    Paul_B, Oct 14, 2005
  14. Today Paul_B spoke these views with conviction for everyone's
    edification:

    > (Of late I've been shutting off
    > the machine at night anyway. I save power

    How much power do you think you're saving? I don't even have my
    PC in hibernate mode. My big screen TV probably consumes 100
    times what my PC does, so I don't much care. I do shut off my
    LCD montitor when I'm not going to use it for even a few hours.
    But, that's to keep the heat down in my office and save the
    screen for as long a life as I can.

    > All that said, I can't remember being nagged by a need to
    > restart alert. I've been notified in IE, I close the
    > browser, and I usually can work on, though sometimes the
    > session begins to degenerate, forcing the issue. But never
    > and repeated nags.

    Well, I guess if you do an update that needs a restart, you just
    do it right then and there, hence there isn't any nagging to be
    done.

    > As for Linux, I couldn't get to first base with it being a
    > practical answer for me. Wish I could say otherwise. One
    > day, no doubt. Until then I'll still go OOo, FF, and TB,
    > and the like.

    I agree with your about Linux. My nephew has been pushing me to
    try Linux for years, but even though he's a bona fide Linux
    bigot, he still doesn't think it is fully ready for prime-time
    on the desktop, particularly with certain older apps or
    hardware. So, I'm just treading water until it is...

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry
    All Things Mopar, Oct 14, 2005
  15. All Things Mopar

    Paul_B Guest

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 08:50:31 -0500, All Things Mopar wrote:

    > Today Paul_B spoke these views with conviction for everyone's
    > edification:
    >
    >> (Of late I've been shutting off
    >> the machine at night anyway. I save power

    > How much power do you think you're saving? I don't even have my
    > PC in hibernate mode. My big screen TV probably consumes 100
    > times what my PC does, so I don't much care. I do shut off my
    > LCD montitor when I'm not going to use it for even a few hours.
    > But, that's to keep the heat down in my office and save the
    > screen for as long a life as I can.

    300W x $.20/kwh x 9hr *30d = ~ $16.50/m. There are other
    advantages. My office is over my bedroom, and the quietness at
    night now is wonderful. The spiritual sense of being away from
    the Internet has been great. Gives a nice perspective. And I can
    start each day with a strong new session.

    >> All that said, I can't remember being nagged by a need to
    >> restart alert. I've been notified in IE, I close the
    >> browser, and I usually can work on, though sometimes the
    >> session begins to degenerate, forcing the issue. But never
    >> and repeated nags.

    > Well, I guess if you do an update that needs a restart, you just
    > do it right then and there, hence there isn't any nagging to be
    > done.

    I do it there, and more often than not turn the machine off and
    go to bed.

    >> As for Linux, I couldn't get to first base with it being a
    >> practical answer for me. Wish I could say otherwise. One
    >> day, no doubt. Until then I'll still go OOo, FF, and TB,
    >> and the like.

    > I agree with your about Linux. My nephew has been pushing me to
    > try Linux for years, but even though he's a bona fide Linux
    > bigot, he still doesn't think it is fully ready for prime-time
    > on the desktop, particularly with certain older apps or
    > hardware. So, I'm just treading water until it is...

    I use my machine a lot for financial stuff, and I can't afford to
    play games about it. Let alone my willingness to learn a whole
    new set of rules, and the lack of apps Linux suffers from.

    p.
    Paul_B, Oct 14, 2005
  16. Today Paul_B spoke these views with conviction for everyone's
    edification:

    >> How much power do you think you're saving?

    > 300W x $.20/kwh x 9hr *30d = ~ $16.50/m.

    OK. You're saying the 300W is just the PC fan and HD running, or
    are you including your monitor? I let two PCs run 24X7 and never
    shut them down unless I have to, or I'm going away for awhile. I
    do shut both monitors off when not in use. If I'm spending
    $35/month or more, I sure don't see it in my electric bill!

    This reminds me, though, of the malcontents that forced 1 gallon
    flush toilets on everybody. I have a 7-zone lawn sprinkler
    system that makes the little dial on my meter twirl so I don't
    much care how much water I use when I flush!

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry
    All Things Mopar, Oct 14, 2005
  17. All Things Mopar

    Paul_B Guest

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:24:00 -0500, All Things Mopar wrote:

    > Today Paul_B spoke these views with conviction for everyone's
    > edification:
    >
    >>> How much power do you think you're saving?

    >> 300W x $.20/kwh x 9hr *30d = ~ $16.50/m.

    > OK. You're saying the 300W is just the PC fan and HD running, or
    > are you including your monitor? I let two PCs run 24X7 and never
    > shut them down unless I have to, or I'm going away for awhile. I
    > do shut both monitors off when not in use. If I'm spending
    > $35/month or more, I sure don't see it in my electric bill!

    Actually there are other things on the power strip - external
    speakers, one to three monitors, the router, etc. The two LCD
    monitors probably don't draw much power, esp in sleep mode.

    > This reminds me, though, of the malcontents that forced 1 gallon
    > flush toilets on everybody. I have a 7-zone lawn sprinkler
    > system that makes the little dial on my meter twirl so I don't
    > much care how much water I use when I flush!

    The 1.6 gal toilets are a environmental disaster. Typical
    regulatory hubris - more (or in this case, less, water) is
    better. Problem is they malfunction so often doubleflushes eat
    away at water savings. False economy. A 2 gal unit would have
    been far more practical.

    p.
    Paul_B, Oct 15, 2005
  18. All Things Mopar

    Ron Martell Guest

    All Things Mopar <> wrote:

    >The problem that I'm complaining about and looking for a
    >solution to is /after/ the update has been both downloaded and
    >installed and Windoze wants me to restart. I understand why
    >some/many patches need an restart, what I'm trying to do is kill
    >the bullshit 60-90 times/hour reminder.

    The "solution" is to not install the updates until you are ready and
    able to restart the computer when the updates are finished. You can
    configure the automatic update feature to download but not install
    updates. Of course then you would get a periodic reminder about new
    updates being ready to install, but not with the frequency that you
    reported.

    There is another side to this issue. There have been instances where
    machines have been infected by malware for which a patch had been
    released many weeks previously. On further investigation it turned
    out that in at least one instance the updates had been downloaded and
    installed but the machine had never been rebooted to complete the
    update. In this case the computer had been running 24/7 for over 90
    days without once rebooting. And because of this it was infested
    with the malware that the update was going to protect against.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
    Ron Martell, Oct 15, 2005
  19. Today Ron Martell spoke these views with conviction for
    everyone's edification:

    > All Things Mopar <> wrote:
    >

    >>The problem that I'm complaining about and looking for a
    >>solution to is /after/ the update has been both downloaded
    >>and installed and Windoze wants me to restart. I understand
    >>why some/many patches need an restart, what I'm trying to
    >>do is kill the bullshit 60-90 times/hour reminder.

    > The "solution" is to not install the updates until you are
    > ready and able to restart the computer when the updates are
    > finished. You can configure the automatic update feature
    > to download but not install updates. Of course then you
    > would get a periodic reminder about new updates being ready
    > to install, but not with the frequency that you reported.
    >
    > There is another side to this issue. There have been
    > instances where machines have been infected by malware for
    > which a patch had been released many weeks previously. On
    > further investigation it turned out that in at least one
    > instance the updates had been downloaded and installed but
    > the machine had never been rebooted to complete the update.
    > In this case the computer had been running 24/7 for over
    > 90 days without once rebooting. And because of this it
    > was infested with the malware that the update was going to
    > protect against.

    What you say is entirely true, Ron.

    My rage has been that if I allow the install to take place
    during a busy day, I get pestered to death. Absent reserving a
    specific time, as has been suggested, what I've done is just
    move the reminder box off-screen as far as I could.

    Thanks for your insights.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry
    All Things Mopar, Oct 16, 2005
  20. All Things Mopar

    Mitch Guest

    In article <Xns96EF4A98B9C27ReplyID@216.196.97.136>, All Things Mopar
    <> wrote:

    > A reminder say, once an hour, would be more than enough. But
    > every 30-60 seconds? Not!

    I had no idea Windows was so insistent about these updates.
    I recant my comment chastising your impatience.
    Mitch, Oct 16, 2005