How can I increase font sizes in Outlook Express 6?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by All Things Mopar, Nov 6, 2005.

  1. Running Win XP Pro SP2. I'm talking about OE6, and not Outlook.

    I know how to change the font and the size when composing an E-
    mail, and the same thing (View>Text size) also changes the
    font/size in OE6's preview pane, but I cannot find a way to
    increase the font size in the message pane at the top of the
    screen, the folder tree on the left, of the Contacts list on the
    lower left.

    When I changed to my current screen size of 1280 x 960 after
    buying a 21" LCD monitor, the text in all but preview and
    compose is just barely readable.

    How can I increase it? Thank you.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death
    your right to say it." - Evelyn Beatrice Hall under the
    pseudonym Stephen G. Tallentyre

    All Things Mopar, Nov 6, 2005

  2. All Things Mopar

    Bill P Guest

    "All Things Mopar" <> wrote in message
    > Running Win XP Pro SP2. I'm talking about OE6, and not Outlook.
    >
    > I know how to change the font and the size when composing an E-
    > mail, and the same thing (View>Text size) also changes the
    > font/size in OE6's preview pane, but I cannot find a way to
    > increase the font size in the message pane at the top of the
    > screen, the folder tree on the left, of the Contacts list on the
    > lower left.
    >
    > When I changed to my current screen size of 1280 x 960 after
    > buying a 21" LCD monitor, the text in all but preview and
    > compose is just barely readable.
    >
    > How can I increase it? Thank you.
    >
    > --
    > ATM, aka Jerry
    >
    > "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death
    > your right to say it." - Evelyn Beatrice Hall under the
    > pseudonym Stephen G. Tallentyre

    Hi Jerry
    You could try Clear Type first to see if that helps.
    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/Step1.aspx

    Regards
    Bill

    Bill P, Nov 6, 2005

  3. All Things Mopar quacked like a deranged mallard in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Running Win XP Pro SP2. I'm talking about OE6, and not Outlook.
    >
    > I know how to change the font and the size when composing an E-
    > mail, and the same thing (View>Text size) also changes the
    > font/size in OE6's preview pane, but I cannot find a way to
    > increase the font size in the message pane at the top of the
    > screen, the folder tree on the left, of the Contacts list on the
    > lower left.
    >
    > When I changed to my current screen size of 1280 x 960 after
    > buying a 21" LCD monitor, the text in all but preview and
    > compose is just barely readable.
    >
    > How can I increase it? Thank you.

    One way: Display Properties>Appearance tab>in the Item drop-down box select
    "Icon", and choose your font settings. Of course, this will also change your
    desktop icon settings.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    A happy life consists not in the absence, but in the mastery of hardships.-

    The Old Sourdough, Nov 6, 2005
  4. All Things Mopar, <>, the ignorant, greasy-haired
    trainspotter, and person who sells worthless goods on commission, bawled:

    > Running Win XP Pro SP2. I'm talking about OE6, and not Outlook.
    >
    > I know how to change the font and the size when composing an E-
    > mail, and the same thing (View>Text size) also changes the
    > font/size in OE6's preview pane, but I cannot find a way to
    > increase the font size in the message pane at the top of the
    > screen, the folder tree on the left, of the Contacts list on the
    > lower left.
    >
    > When I changed to my current screen size of 1280 x 960 after
    > buying a 21" LCD monitor, the text in all but preview and
    > compose is just barely readable.
    >
    > How can I increase it? Thank you.

    Select the correct "screen size", you dumb ****.

    is but a dream within a dream.

    Lord Gazwad of Grantham, Nov 6, 2005
  5. Today Bill P spoke these views with conviction for everyone's
    edification:

    > Hi Jerry
    > You could try Clear Type first to see if that helps.
    > http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/Step1.as
    > px

    Thanks,Bill. I have Clear Type turned on already, but couldn't
    find a spot that controls *only* the font sizes in OE.

    All Things Mopar, Nov 6, 2005
  6. Today The Old Sourdough spoke these views with conviction for
    everyone's edification:

    > One way: Display Properties>Appearance tab>in the Item
    > drop-down box select "Icon", and choose your font settings.
    > Of course, this will also change your desktop icon
    > settings.

    Old Sourdough? Anywho, thanks.

    I didn't want to change the font size for the icons because I
    can read them OK. I did up the size from 8 to 9 for "Menus",
    which helps a lot in OE6, except that all the rest of my menu
    text is a bit too large!

    I checked everywhere within Windoze I could think of, including
    Tweak UI, but came up blank. I did a quick and dirty search of
    the MS KB but didn't see anything there, either. The KB is a
    very valuable tool, *if* you can figure out the exact search
    phrase it likes. If you miss even a little, you either don't see
    what you're looking for or you see lots of entries which don't
    apply.

    Later today, I"ll try Googling. Here's the deal, though: Up
    until yesterday, the font sizes looked OK to me. I've been
    running SP2 on my new box for a week now, and I looked for a
    "history" of what I'd changed (I create RPs so I can look back
    to see what I've installed, modified or uninstalled) and saw
    nothing obvious.

    All Things Mopar, Nov 6, 2005
  7. Today Lord Gazwad of Grantham spoke these views with
    conviction for everyone's edification:

    > Select the correct "screen size", you dumb ****.

    First, I'm not a ****, I'm a prick. But, besides your just being
    a troll with nothing to contribute, maybe you could enlighten us
    all as to what the "correct" screen size is?

    All Things Mopar, Nov 6, 2005
  8. All Things Mopar

    Paul_B Guest

    On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 07:50:42 -0600, All Things Mopar wrote:

    > When I changed to my current screen size of 1280 x 960 after
    > buying a 21" LCD monitor, the text in all but preview and
    > compose is just barely readable.
    >
    > How can I increase it? Thank you.

    See if your answer isn't at Display Properties/Settings/Advanced,
    perhaps in combo with the Appearance tab.

    Paul

    Paul_B, Nov 6, 2005
  9. All Things Mopar, <>, the deafened, seven-chinned turd
    burglar, and vagrant who regulates the workings of the watermeadows,
    sniveled:

    > Today Lord Gazwad of Grantham spoke these views with
    > conviction for everyone's edification:
    >
    >> Select the correct "screen size", you dumb ****.

    > First, I'm not a ****, I'm a prick. But, besides your just being
    > a troll with nothing to contribute, maybe you could enlighten us
    > all as to what the "correct" screen size is?

    Is it fair to assume you didn't buy a decent LCD monitor you miserly ****?
    If you bought one with the native resolution that you mentioned then you're
    a bigger **** than you at first seemed to be.

    is but a dream within a dream.

    Lord Gazwad of Grantham, Nov 6, 2005
  10. All Things Mopar

    Mitch Guest

    In article <Xns970659F9FFB46ReplyID@216.196.97.131>, All Things Mopar
    <> wrote:

    > Running Win XP Pro SP2. I'm talking about OE6, and not Outlook.
    >
    > I know how to change the font and the size when composing an E-
    > mail, and the same thing (View>Text size) also changes the
    > font/size in OE6's preview pane, but I cannot find a way to
    > increase the font size in the message pane at the top of the
    > screen, the folder tree on the left, of the Contacts list on the
    > lower left.

    So, you're sending HTML, which is just a bad idea, and you have the
    preview pane of OE displayed, which is just foolish?

    Mitch, Nov 6, 2005
  11. Today Paul_B spoke these views with conviction for everyone's
    edification:

    > See if your answer isn't at Display
    > Properties/Settings/Advanced, perhaps in combo with the
    > Appearance tab.

    Thanks, Paul. I did look there, but it only changes fonts
    globally. Mainly in menus, windows, and icons. I haven't been
    able to find anything yet specically to the non-compose side of
    OE6

    All Things Mopar, Nov 6, 2005