    I have an older computer with a pci modem. I need to download and
    install the driver for it. But I don't know what modem it is. Is there
    any software which will identify the modem for me?

    Royce, Sep 22, 2004

  2. Royce

    Harry Guest

    Royce wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I have an older computer with a pci modem. I need to download and
    > install the driver for it. But I don't know what modem it is. Is there
    > any software which will identify the modem for me?

    cat /proc/pci

    Oh, so you are running Windows! Why didn't you say so?
    Boot up on a Linux cd and do above.

    Harry, Sep 22, 2004

  3. Royce

    richard Guest

    Royce wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I have an older computer with a pci modem. I need to download and
    > install the driver for it. But I don't know what modem it is. Is there
    > any software which will identify the modem for me?

    When you boot, you may get a list of numbers just before going into the OS, that
    lists all the hardware in the computer.

    Put the pairs of 4 digit numbers into google and that will usually give you a
    list of hardware vendors and stuff

    richard, Sep 22, 2004
  4. Royce

    Athura Guest

    go to www.pcitree.de and download pcitree and run that, it should tell you.

    Athura, Sep 22, 2004
  5. Royce

    thing Guest

    Royce wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I have an older computer with a pci modem. I need to download and
    > install the driver for it. But I don't know what modem it is. Is there
    > any software which will identify the modem for me?

    no fcc numbers on it somewhere?

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Sep 22, 2004
  6. Royce

    steve Guest

    Royce wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I have an older computer with a pci modem. I need to download and
    > install the driver for it. But I don't know what modem it is. Is there
    > any software which will identify the modem for me?

    If it is not a Winmodem, then you can pick "generic modem" and that should
    be good enough....as a real modem has everything it needs right there on
    the card.

    If it IS a winmodem....then you DO need software drivers to perform the
    functions that have been moved from the modem into the operating system.

    You could try "Knoppix". It's a version of Linux bootable from a CD and it
    has very good device detection and should at least tell you what chipset is
    on your modem. That will help you locate the correct drivers.

    You can boot a Knoppix CD without altering your existing Windows system in
    any way. It's a good, quick way to check unknown hardware.

    --
    Distributed Computing Projects:
    SETI at Home

    steve, Sep 22, 2004
  7. Royce

    Dave Taylor Guest

    (Royce) wrote in

    > Hello
    >
    > I have an older computer with a pci modem. I need to download and
    > install the driver for it. But I don't know what modem it is. Is there
    > any software which will identify the modem for me?

    http://www.hwinfo.com/

    It fits on a floppy, just sys the floppy and copy the files over to it.

    Dave Taylor, Sep 22, 2004
  8. Royce

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Royce wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I have an older computer with a pci modem. I need to download and
    > install the driver for it. But I don't know what modem it is. Is there
    > any software which will identify the modem for me?

    Yep, your brain. (Or is that hardware? Lets just stick with convention and
    call it wetware). The main chip will have numbers on it, put the first line
    into Google with +driver and you should find a driver no trouble. Works for
    me every time. There may even be a sticker on the back of the card with a
    manufacturer and a model number, that makes it even easier.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 22, 2004