How can I hook up my DVD player?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Markus Winter, Aug 2, 2003.

  1. Hi all,

    I have the problem that I want to hook up a DVD player to a TV which has
    only the usual TV antenna in. So I thought "No problem, I hook it up via the
    VCR" which has the required ports. Bad move - the picture fades in and out.
    looking on the web revealed the problem:

    > Why is my DVD picture fading in/out and light to dark?
    > Do not hook your DVD up through the VCR or TV/VCR combo. The DVD needs to be
    > hooked up directly to the TV as it contains Macrovision circuitry to prevent
    > taping

    So how can I possibly hook up the DVD - is there some kind of adapter cable
    available?

    Thanks.

    Markus
    Markus Winter, Aug 2, 2003

  2. Markus Winter

    lily Guest

    "Markus Winter" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have the problem that I want to hook up a DVD player to a TV which has
    > only the usual TV antenna in. So I thought "No problem, I hook it up via

    the
    > VCR" which has the required ports. Bad move - the picture fades in and

    out.
    > looking on the web revealed the problem:
    >
    > > Why is my DVD picture fading in/out and light to dark?
    > > Do not hook your DVD up through the VCR or TV/VCR combo. The DVD needs

    to be
    > > hooked up directly to the TV as it contains Macrovision circuitry to

    prevent
    > > taping

    > So how can I possibly hook up the DVD - is there some kind of adapter

    cable
    > available?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Markus

    A modulator is what you probably need
    Jaycar LM3850
    Jaycar LM3872
    www.jaycar.co.nz
    lily, Aug 2, 2003

  3. On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 23:31:26 +1200, Markus Winter <>
    wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I have the problem that I want to hook up a DVD player to a TV which has
    >only the usual TV antenna in. So I thought "No problem, I hook it up via the
    >VCR" which has the required ports. Bad move - the picture fades in and out.
    >looking on the web revealed the problem:
    >
    >> Why is my DVD picture fading in/out and light to dark?
    >> Do not hook your DVD up through the VCR or TV/VCR combo. The DVD needs to be
    >> hooked up directly to the TV as it contains Macrovision circuitry to prevent
    >> taping

    >So how can I possibly hook up the DVD - is there some kind of adapter cable
    >available?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Markus

    Simple get a New TV..
    Greg Townsend, Aug 3, 2003
  4. In <BB51FA4E.1EE21%> Markus Winter wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have the problem that I want to hook up a DVD player to a TV which
    > has only the usual TV antenna in. So I thought "No problem, I hook it
    > up via the VCR" which has the required ports. Bad move - the picture
    > fades in and out. looking on the web revealed the problem:
    >
    >> Why is my DVD picture fading in/out and light to dark?
    >> Do not hook your DVD up through the VCR or TV/VCR combo. The DVD
    >> needs to be hooked up directly to the TV as it contains Macrovision
    >> circuitry to prevent taping

    > So how can I possibly hook up the DVD - is there some kind of adapter
    > cable available?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Markus

    What model DVD player is it? With a lot of them it's quite easy to turn
    off the Macrovision copy protection, along with the region code
    protection.

    Apple II - FutureCop:LAPD - iMac Game Wizard
    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~rojaws/
    Saying Windows 95 is equal to Macintosh is like finding a potato that
    looks like Jesus and believing you've witnessed the second coming.

    Guy Kawasaki
    Roger Johnstone, Aug 3, 2003