How can I hide Net activities during work

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ingeborg, Aug 23, 2004.

  1. Ingeborg

    Ingeborg Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in

    > Hi,
    > In work we have a tablet PC which is on broadband, we've been browsing
    > the Net (as you do) & have deleted our tracks accordingly (history
    > etc) when we finished. Trouble is we've been logging into Hotmail
    > from work to check our emails where we have to enter our username &
    > password & these are staying on the pc. We tried to gain access to
    > our network & a login window appeared which had a drop-down of all our
    > email addresses which means our boss knows we've been using the pc for
    > 'none-work' activities. How can I clear these? we select the checkbox
    > that says "do not remember my address etc this is a shared computer"
    > when you log onto hotmail but they're still there!!!
    >
    > Any advice/help would be a godsend,
    >
    > Dave

    1) You shouldn't waste time owned to the boss.
    2) You should delete the cookies.

    Dave, Aug 23, 2004

  3. Ingeborg

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 18:43:36 GMT, Dave wrote:

    >Hi,
    >In work we have a tablet PC which is on broadband, we've been browsing the
    >Net (as you do) & have deleted our tracks accordingly (history etc) when we

    Not I.

    >finished. Trouble is we've been logging into Hotmail from work to check our

    A very shoddy policy then, allowing that.

    <snip>

    None of that matters if the boss can simply ask the ISP for an access
    log.

    Me
    why?, Aug 23, 2004
  4. Ingeborg

    Andy Kelly Guest

    > Any advice/help would be a godsend,

    Take out a contract on your boss.
    Andy Kelly, Aug 23, 2004
  5. Ingeborg

    John Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > In work we have a tablet PC which is on broadband, we've been browsing the
    > Net (as you do) & have deleted our tracks accordingly (history etc) when
    > we
    > finished. Trouble is we've been logging into Hotmail from work to check
    > our
    > emails where we have to enter our username & password & these are staying
    > on
    > the pc. We tried to gain access to our network & a login window appeared
    > which had a drop-down of all our email addresses which means our boss
    > knows
    > we've been using the pc for 'none-work' activities. How can I clear
    > these?
    > we select the checkbox that says "do not remember my address etc this is a
    > shared computer" when you log onto hotmail but they're still there!!!
    >
    > Any advice/help would be a godsend,
    >
    > Dave

    There is a folder called recent. Empty that.

    You can clear temporary internet files and the cookies from the browsers
    security settings.

    I guess god doesn't read this ng so you will have to settle for replies from
    us mortals.:)
    John, Aug 23, 2004
  6. why? spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    <>

    <snip>

    > None of that matters if the boss can simply ask the ISP for an access
    > log.

    Or a server that logs everything incoming/outgoing at the office...

    NOI
    Thund3rstruck_n0i, Aug 23, 2004
  7. Ingeborg

    WormWood Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > In work we have a tablet PC which is on broadband, we've been browsing

    the
    > Net (as you do) & have deleted our tracks accordingly (history etc)

    when we
    > finished. Trouble is we've been logging into Hotmail from work to

    check our
    > emails where we have to enter our username & password & these are

    staying on
    > the pc. We tried to gain access to our network & a login window

    appeared
    > which had a drop-down of all our email addresses which means our boss

    knows
    > we've been using the pc for 'none-work' activities. How can I clear

    these?
    > we select the checkbox that says "do not remember my address etc this

    is a
    > shared computer" when you log onto hotmail but they're still there!!!
    >
    > Any advice/help would be a godsend,
    >
    > Dave

    Dave's not here.
    WormWood, Aug 24, 2004
  8. Ingeborg

    Phantom Guest

    When I still had to work, we had a program called " Don't Panic " by
    Panicware. It will fix your problem....

    Phantom, Aug 24, 2004
  9. Ingeborg

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > In work we have a tablet PC which is on broadband, we've been browsing the
    > Net (as you do) & have deleted our tracks accordingly (history etc) when

    we
    > finished. Trouble is we've been logging into Hotmail from work to check

    our
    > emails where we have to enter our username & password & these are staying

    on
    > the pc. We tried to gain access to our network & a login window appeared
    > which had a drop-down of all our email addresses which means our boss

    knows
    > we've been using the pc for 'none-work' activities. How can I clear

    these?
    > we select the checkbox that says "do not remember my address etc this is a
    > shared computer" when you log onto hotmail but they're still there!!!
    >
    > Any advice/help would be a godsend,
    >
    > Dave

    log in locally on the machine.
    don't log into the domain...

    delete the local profile when you are done.

    -a|ex
    127.0.0.1, Aug 24, 2004
  10. Ingeborg

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 17:58:03 -0400, Thund3rstruck_n0i wrote:

    >why? spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    ><>
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >> None of that matters if the boss can simply ask the ISP for an access
    >> log.

    > Or a server that logs everything incoming/outgoing at the office...

    Quite right, I deleted that part of my reply. If non work browsing is
    going on , with no clear simple policy then setting up a proxy server is
    beyond them or router/firewall with reporting.

    > NOI

    :)

    Me
    why?, Aug 24, 2004
  11. Ingeborg

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 02:29:55 GMT, 127.0.0.1 wrote:

    >"Dave" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> In work we have a tablet PC which is on broadband, we've been browsing the
    >> Net (as you do) & have deleted our tracks accordingly (history etc) when

    >we
    >> finished. Trouble is we've been logging into Hotmail from work to check

    >our
    >> emails where we have to enter our username & password & these are staying

    >on

    <snip>

    >> Dave

    >log in locally on the machine.
    >don't log into the domain...
    >
    >delete the local profile when you are done.

    Hopefully the basic security model requires a domain login for access to
    a proxy server, a local account shouldn't allow that.

    >-a|ex

    Me
    why?, Aug 24, 2004
  12. Ingeborg

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    > On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 02:29:55 GMT, 127.0.0.1 wrote:
    > >
    > >log in locally on the machine.
    > >don't log into the domain...
    > >
    > >delete the local profile when you are done.

    > Hopefully the basic security model requires a domain login for access to
    > a proxy server, a local account shouldn't allow that.

    don't use the proxy...
    most networks allow local logins

    -a|ex
    127.0.0.1, Aug 25, 2004
  13. Ingeborg

    Plato Guest

    Dave wrote:

    > which had a drop-down of all our email addresses which means our boss knows
    > we've been using the pc for 'none-work' activities. How can I clear these?

    Ask your boss.
    Plato, Aug 25, 2004
  14. Ingeborg

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Dave wrote:

    > Hi,
    > In work we have a tablet PC which is on broadband, we've been browsing the
    > Net (as you do) & have deleted our tracks accordingly (history etc) when
    > we
    > finished. Trouble is we've been logging into Hotmail from work to check
    > our emails where we have to enter our username & password & these are
    > staying on
    > the pc. We tried to gain access to our network & a login window appeared
    > which had a drop-down of all our email addresses which means our boss
    > knows
    > we've been using the pc for 'none-work' activities. How can I clear
    > these? we select the checkbox that says "do not remember my address etc
    > this is a shared computer" when you log onto hotmail but they're still
    > there!!!
    >
    > Any advice/help would be a godsend,
    >
    > Dave

    Ask you boss and I hope you're reprimaned.
    --
    Duane :)

    I am an *unregistered* Linux user. Unreg# 99999999999999999
    Duane Arnold, Aug 25, 2004