    the full capacity back on the hard drive would be much appreciated.
    thanks!

    -Justin
    Anon, Aug 21, 2007

  2. Anon

    ded Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have an old Sony Vaio that i'm trying to get up and running. It
    > came with no internal cd or floppy drives. i tried using an external
    > cdrom drive and loading from an external hard drive but it will not
    > boot from the USB devices. also, i have a converter to plug the
    > hard drive into my desktop so i tried formatting the drive and
    > installing boot files, but after the format the drive is coming up as
    > a 1.25gb hard drive rather than the 40gb drive that it is. any
    > suggestions for getting an operating system up and running or getting
    > the full capacity back on the hard drive would be much appreciated.
    > thanks!
    >
    > -Justin

    To boot from a USB device, floppy or CD, you have to enter BIOS
    and configure so as it detects USB devices. As it's a laptop that
    maybe disabled.
    To boot into BIOS setup menu, try key "DEL" or "F2"
    Different menus for different BIOS but what you will be looking for
    is USB support and entries, a laptop may, but probably not, have
    USB keyboard support for connecting external KBD, look through
    sub menus, you are looking to enable "Legacy USB" - legacy refers
    to older external devices such as floppy, but will accomadate a USB
    CD drive.
    If found, enable it. Then you have to set the boot order so that the USB
    CD drive is first in the boot order. You will have to rummage around
    the BIOS menu's to find the option, "boot order" maybe under "Advanced"
    I would be confident that Sony would have a download detailing the BIOS
    for that laptop or any of their PC's etc. Try the Sony support site for
    your location.

    What "convertor plug" did you use to connect HD to your desktop?
    What command did you perfrom to format?

    If you get the laptops BIOS to recognise and enable a USB CD drive,
    Just install your 98 disk and boot from that then you can perform
    a format of the laptops HD from that.
    ded, Aug 21, 2007

  3. Anon

    Ben Myers Guest

    <> wrote in message news:...
    > I have an old Sony Vaio that i'm trying to get up and running. It
    > came with no internal cd or floppy drives. i tried using an external
    > cdrom drive and loading from an external hard drive but it will not
    > boot from the USB devices. also, i have a converter to plug the
    > hard drive into my desktop so i tried formatting the drive and
    > installing boot files, but after the format the drive is coming up as
    > a 1.25gb hard drive rather than the 40gb drive that it is. any
    > suggestions for getting an operating system up and running or getting
    > the full capacity back on the hard drive would be much appreciated.
    > thanks!

    Put the drive back into the desktop and use a partitioning tool like fdisk
    to confirm that the partition or partitions are as desired. If not, change
    them. Once that is done, copy the setup files to the drive, put it back
    into the Sony and run Windows setup.

    Ben
    Ben Myers, Aug 21, 2007