    154.5.172.107. But that is an invalid IP address, says many sites when
    I try to test my connection. I disabled ZoneAlarm but I still get that
    hidden IP address, how do I disable it?
    Uplink, Aug 5, 2006

  2. On 5 Aug 2006 12:28:12 -0700, "Uplink" <> wrote:

    >I have ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite and a ADSL wireless router
    >connection (I'm the host computer) and everytime I go to
    >www.whatismyip.com or any IP detecting site it says my IP is
    > 154.5.172.107. But that is an invalid IP address, says many sites when
    >I try to test my connection. I disabled ZoneAlarm but I still get that
    >hidden IP address, how do I disable it?

    Name: d154-5-172-107.bchsia.telus.net
    Address: 154.5.172.107

    Doesn't look invalid to me.
    --

    John
    John Morrison, Aug 6, 2006

  3. Uplink

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Uplink wrote:
    > I have ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite and a ADSL wireless router
    > connection (I'm the host computer) and everytime I go to
    > www.whatismyip.com or any IP detecting site it says my IP is
    > 154.5.172.107. But that is an invalid IP address, says many sites when
    > I try to test my connection. I disabled ZoneAlarm but I still get that
    > hidden IP address, how do I disable it?

    What man? You go to the Admin screen of the router and one of the
    screens will tell you the public IP and/or DNS IP(s) that the router is
    using assigned to the router by the ISP.

    The public IP is actually assigned the modem and is the public facing IP
    that all traffic from the Internet uses to reach a single machine
    directly connected to modem or machines behind the a NAT router or FW
    appliance connected to the modem.

    With the NAT router or a FW appliance that's using NAT, the traffic that
    was pointing to the public IP is routed to the LAN IP/machine on the
    private side of the device. The router knows how to route the traffic to
    the correct LAN IP/machine.

    If you use IPconfig /all at the DOS command Prompt of any machine
    connected to the router, it will also tell you the public IP from the
    ISP and DNS IP(s) that are being used from the ISP. They will be the
    same IP(s) that the router is using.

    I don't know what you're trying to do but.......

    You have a WEB server connected to the router. You want traffic from a
    client machine on the public Internet to initiate contact with the WEB
    site on HTTP port 80 entering in the Public IP (that's the IP assigned
    by the ISP to your network) for the WEB site in a client's browser.

    You would port forward the traffic to the private LAN IP/machine by
    using the router admin screen to configure the forwarding of the traffic.

    That's how you open ports on the router to the public Internet.

    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/port-forwarding-dmz.asp

    That also applies to any server software such as a game software or
    other server software, as an example that you use port forwarding on the
    router.

    You should keep the machine out of the DMZ.

    There is no such thing as stealthing the public IP. It must be know for
    any Internet traffic to reach your network or a single machine connected
    to the modem. The IP the machine is using on the private side of the
    router is stealthed. No one can see past the router.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Aug 6, 2006
  4. Uplink

    Travis Guest

    That doesn't look invalid? I thought IP addresses had to start with a 2
    and not a 1.

    Travis, Aug 6, 2006
  5. Uplink

    Jim Berwick Guest

    Travis <> wrote in news:pan.2006.08.06.18.40.53.310747
    @gmail.com:

    > That doesn't look invalid? I thought IP addresses had to start with a 2
    > and not a 1.

    There is nothing that says an IP address has to start with a 2.
    Jim Berwick, Aug 10, 2006