    on my other two computers but for some reason it suddenly stopped on this
    WINDOWS 98 machine. Thanks for any assistance!

    Smokey
    Smokey, Nov 23, 2005

  2. Smokey

    Mark VB Guest

    Smokey wrote on 23/11/2005 15:58
    > I am wondering if anyone can help me restore the little preview window that
    > once popped up as I selected jpg files when viewing the "My computer"
    > screen? When single-clicking a jpg file, a miniature image would appear to
    > the left of the file screen along with the size of the file. It used to work
    > but now it doesn't. I have went to the Microsoft page to no avail. It works
    > on my other two computers but for some reason it suddenly stopped on this
    > WINDOWS 98 machine. Thanks for any assistance!
    >
    > Smokey

    Tools - Options - "View as webpage" (or View - "View as webpage") is
    still selected ?

    HTH,
    Mark VB
    Mark VB, Nov 24, 2005

  3. Smokey

    Smokey Guest

    Thank you Mark..."View as webpage" was indeed selected but if I deselect it,
    the preview still does not return. If you have any other suggestions I would
    be grateful.

    Smokey

    Smokey, Nov 26, 2005
  4. Smokey

    Mark VB Guest

    Smokey wrote on 26/11/2005 15:34
    > Thank you Mark..."View as webpage" was indeed selected but if I deselect it,
    > the preview still does not return. If you have any other suggestions I would
    > be grateful.
    >
    > Smokey

    Smokey,

    If you are familiar with editing the registry, check if the
    default-value of the key
    "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}"
    reads "{7376D660-C583-11d0-A3A5-00C04FD706EC}" (including the braces)

    Create the key if it doesn't exist, or correct the value if it is wrong.
    Double-check both the key and value before you save it.

    The key above only fixes the preview for ".jpg"-filetypes, so you should
    do the same for .bmp, .gif, .jfif, .jpe, .jpeg and .png.

    HTH,
    Mark Van Borm

    --
    Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may
    require you to reinstall your operating system. We cannot guarantee
    Mark VB, Nov 26, 2005
  5. Smokey

    Smokey Guest

    Hi Mark,

    You responded to my posting on alt.computer last week following my "cry
    for help" to seek assistance in getting my preview window to appear again
    when I browse the My Computer C: drive.

    I followed your instructions and it fixed the problem. THANK YOU THANK
    YOU THANK YOU.

    I am grateful for your taking the time to provide me with the registry
    key and string information.

    All my best,

    Smokey Weiss
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

    Smokey, Nov 30, 2005
  6. Smokey

    Mark VB Guest

    Smokey wrote on 30/11/2005 23:20
    > Hi Mark,
    >
    > You responded to my posting on alt.computer last week following my "cry
    > for help" to seek assistance in getting my preview window to appear again
    > when I browse the My Computer C: drive.
    >
    > I followed your instructions and it fixed the problem. THANK YOU THANK
    > YOU THANK YOU.
    >
    > I am grateful for your taking the time to provide me with the registry
    > key and string information.
    >
    > All my best,
    >
    > Smokey Weiss
    > Minocqua, Wisconsin