    their days.
    Thanks
    Nick
    Nick Worley, Aug 26, 2003

  2. Nick Worley

    °Mike° Guest

    Are you stupid, or what? Most spammers have forged return
    addresses - you'd, potentially, be bombarding innocent servers,
    not to mention that responding "in kind" makes you as bad as
    the real spammers.

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 01:19:27 +0100, in
    <bie8t2$8ht1e$-berlin.de>
    Nick Worley scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Aug 26, 2003

  3. Nick Worley

    Freda Guest

    °Mike° said
    > Are you stupid, or what? Most spammers have forged return
    > addresses - you'd, potentially, be bombarding innocent servers,
    > not to mention that responding "in kind" makes you as bad as
    > the real spammers.

    Bit unfair IMO - people need to learn and understand somehow. All you
    needed to do was explain how it all works.

    --
    NEOPETS!!!!!
    http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=fredajones
    Freda, Aug 26, 2003
  4. Nick Worley

    Dave R. Guest

    You could try Mail Washer... it allows you to "Bounce" SPAM as it comes
    in... eventually, you'll have no SPAM coming in... also use an Alternative
    Email address like hotmail or something when you order something on the the
    web... it'll limit the amt of spam into your Real email address.

    www.mailwasher.net

    Dave
    http://www.manvel.net

    Dave R., Aug 26, 2003
  5. Nick Worley

    Boomer Guest

    Dave R. said:

    > You could try Mail Washer... it allows you to "Bounce" SPAM as it
    > comes in... eventually, you'll have no SPAM coming in... also use
    > an Alternative Email address like hotmail or something when you
    > order something on the the web... it'll limit the amt of spam into
    > your Real email address.
    >
    > www.mailwasher.net
    >
    > Dave
    > http://www.manvel.net

    Why are you telling Mike this?

    Boomer, Aug 26, 2003
  6. Nick Worley

    here at home Guest

    "Freda" <> wrote in message
    > °Mike° said
    > > Are you stupid, or what? Most spammers have forged return
    > > addresses - you'd, potentially, be bombarding innocent servers,
    > > not to mention that responding "in kind" makes you as bad as
    > > the real spammers.

    > Bit unfair IMO - people need to learn and understand somehow. All you
    > needed to do was explain how it all works.

    --------------------------------------
    Typically, afraid you'll have to get used to it in here. If they have
    nothing nice to say it would be nice if they had a cup of "shut the f***
    up"!

    here at home, Aug 26, 2003
  7. Nick Worley

    Jimchip Guest

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 20:34:09 -0500, Dave R. wrote:
    > You could try Mail Washer... it allows you to "Bounce" SPAM as it comes
    > in... eventually, you'll have no SPAM coming in... also use an Alternative
    > Email address like hotmail or something when you order something on the the
    > web... it'll limit the amt of spam into your Real email address.
    >
    > www.mailwasher.net

    Arghhh... Don't use the bounce. In short, the bounce doesn't do anything
    useful and may cause some harmful side effects.

    http://tinyurl.com/7iib
    http://tinyurl.com/7iid
    http://tinyurl.com/90yy

    Most spammer's addresses are forged with some use of valid domain names. The
    result of the bounce is simply to clog up general net traffic with no impact
    on the spammer. Other spammers that use valid ('bounce-able') email
    addresses have already decided the account is a throw-away and will never
    see the bounce-They never return to view their incoming mail after a spam
    run.

    The only way to respond (besides just filtering and deleting) is to analyze
    the headers and determine the originating server of the email and/or the
    hosts of websites advertised and then send abuse reports to the appropriate
    abuse@ or postmaster@ addresses.

    A service like spamcop.net can automate that process for you.

    --
    Symptom: Drinking fails to give taste and satisfaction,
    beer is unusually pale and clear.

    Diagnosis: Glass empty.
    Jimchip, Aug 26, 2003
  8. Not to mention that spamming is most likely against his ISP's ToS and, if he
    were to spam them back as he suggests, it would most likely lose him his
    account...

    Sentient Fluid, Aug 26, 2003
  9. Nick Worley

    yugsdrawkcab Guest

    Boomer wrote:

    > Why are you telling Mike this?

    Why is that any of your business? Do you run outside and ask people why
    they are ringing the neighbor's doorbell too?
    yugsdrawkcab, Aug 26, 2003
  10. Nick Worley

    Mistercmk Guest

    "Jimchip" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 02:24:03 GMT, Mistercmk wrote:
    > >
    > > "thund3rstruck_n0i" <> wrote in

    message

    > >> "Dave R." <dave_AT_manvel_DOT_net> wrote in message

    comes
    > >> Alternative

    the
    > >> the

    > >> Good program, except for the bouncing part.
    > >>
    > >> You're only bouncing messages back to accounts that spammers forged
    > >> anyway, and tying up network traffic as a result.

    > > Some of the accounts are actually valid. I use mailwasher myself, and

    it
    > > does cut down on the amount of spam I recieve as a result of bouncing
    > > e-mails.

    > You're fooling yourself.

    Well, ignorance is bliss isn't it?
    Mistercmk, Aug 26, 2003
  11. Nick Worley

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 02:04:04 +0100, Freda wrote:

    >°Mike° said
    >> Are you stupid, or what? Most spammers have forged return
    >> addresses - you'd, potentially, be bombarding innocent servers,
    >> not to mention that responding "in kind" makes you as bad as
    >> the real spammers.

    >Bit unfair IMO - people need to learn and understand somehow. All you
    >needed to do was explain how it all works.

    It seems you don't understand either.

    Spammers use fake addresses.
    Spammers use use addresses of other servers.
    Spammers lie
    Spammers use open relays to hide the sending address..
    Acting like a spammer makes you a spammer.
    Acting like a spammer could mean the loss of your ISP account when
    people complain to your ISP.
    The OP has the munge on thier address wrong.

    Me
    why?, Aug 26, 2003
  12. Nick Worley

    trout Guest

    Mistercmk wrote:

    > "Sentient Fluid" <> wrote in message
    >> "Mistercmk" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "thund3rstruck_n0i" <> wrote in
    >>> message news:3f4ac40c$0$52144$...

    >>> Some of the accounts are actually valid. I use mailwasher myself,
    >>> and it does cut down on the amount of spam I recieve as a result of
    >>> bouncing e-mails.

    >> How do you know that it's the bouncing that is the reason????
    >>

    > I have done nothing different regarding e-mail, and posting, etc.
    > The only thing that I have been doing is bouncing the e-mails.

    So, sure. *You'll* see less spam in your Inbox. But it's also your
    overall service that will be degraded as your ISP handles higher volumes
    of undeliverable junk being passed back and forth, generated by
    'bounce' programs. As well as the service of other innocent third
    parties.
    As there is *no* net benefit to you by bouncing, rather than just
    blacklisting and deleting spam; you *are part* of the spam problem. The
    best thing to do to combat spam is, of course, to report it. If not,
    just delete it.
    --
    "There's no excuse for compounding the problem."
    trout, Aug 26, 2003
  13. Nick Worley

    Bigfred Guest

    If your getting a lot of spam suggest you change to a new mail box within
    your email programme that was supplied by your isp then configure it in
    outlook express and use only for freinds. Don't post your real e mail
    address in newsgroups as spammers will get it, use a false one and get a
    hotmail account there free and use for software downloads and net shopping.
    And dont spam yourself as it creates more.

    "Nick Worley"
    <nick-NOSTALGIA'> wrote in
    message news:bie8t2$8ht1e$-berlin.de...

    Bigfred, Aug 26, 2003
  14. Mistercmk Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
    proclaimed in <7xz2b.259276$o%2.118639@sccrnsc02>:
    > Some of the accounts are actually valid. I use mailwasher myself,
    > and it does cut down on the amount of spam I recieve as a result of
    > bouncing e-mails.

    Yes they are, but how many of them are really the spammers?
    Remember, the spammer usually uses fake e-mail accounts on their end,
    to try to hide where they're from. When you bounce a message, you run
    the risk of:

    1) bouncing it to an innocent person
    2) tying up bandwidth some
    3) in some cases, getting busted by your ISP on a TOS violation
    (Header forging in this case.)

    Just isn't worth it, IMO.

    NOI
    Thund3rstruck, Aug 26, 2003
  15. Nick Worley

    Mara Guest

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 02:36:34 -0000, Jimchip wrote:

    >On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 02:24:03 GMT, Mistercmk wrote:
    >>
    >> "thund3rstruck_n0i" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Dave R." <dave_AT_manvel_DOT_net> wrote in message
    >>> Alternative
    >>> the

    >>> Good program, except for the bouncing part.
    >>>
    >>> You're only bouncing messages back to accounts that spammers forged
    >>> anyway, and tying up network traffic as a result.

    >> Some of the accounts are actually valid. I use mailwasher myself, and it
    >> does cut down on the amount of spam I recieve as a result of bouncing
    >> e-mails.

    >You're fooling yourself.

    Yes, he is.

    "He's not fooling the server Admins, though."

    --
    "Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable
    from malice." -- Vernon Schryver
    Mara, Aug 26, 2003
  16. Nick Worley

    here at home Guest

    "yugsdrawkcab" <> wrote in message

    > Boomer wrote:
    >

    > > Why are you telling Mike this?
    > >

    > Why is that any of your business? Do you run outside and ask people why
    > they are ringing the neighbor's doorbell too?

    -------------
    Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha...
    ---------------------------------

    here at home, Aug 26, 2003
  17. Nick Worley

    h2so4 Guest

    > You could try Mail Washer... it allows you to "Bounce" SPAM as it comes
    > in... eventually, you'll have no SPAM coming in... also use an

    Alternative
    > Email address like hotmail or something when you order something on the

    the
    > web... it'll limit the amt of spam into your Real email address.

    I use Mailwasher but have disabled the bounce feature because...

    1. I got massively more spam with this feature turned on. I understand that
    I am not alone with this issue.
    2. I read some informed reviews of Mailwasher state that the program does
    not in fact bounce the spam back to the spammer but to your own ISP. I'm not
    an expert in these matters but I found the bounce feature a bloody nuisance.
    Google should find the reviews.

    The blacklist feature is useful in so far as it identifies blacklisted items
    so that it's quicker to delete them. I run Mailwasher at the start of each
    day and delete approximately twenty items of spam, including persistently
    returning blacklisted items, each day. This take about five minutes.

    I agree that it is wrong to spam the spammers. They should all be thrown to
    the crocodiles!
    h2so4, Aug 26, 2003
  18. Nick Worley

    Mistercmk Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    > Mistercmk wrote:
    >
    > > "Sentient Fluid" <> wrote in message
    > >> "Mistercmk" <> wrote in message

    > >> How do you know that it's the bouncing that is the reason????
    > >>

    > > I have done nothing different regarding e-mail, and posting, etc.
    > > The only thing that I have been doing is bouncing the e-mails.

    > So, sure. *You'll* see less spam in your Inbox. But it's also your
    > overall service that will be degraded as your ISP handles higher volumes
    > of undeliverable junk being passed back and forth, generated by
    > 'bounce' programs. As well as the service of other innocent third
    > parties.
    > As there is *no* net benefit to you by bouncing, rather than just
    > blacklisting and deleting spam; you *are part* of the spam problem. The
    > best thing to do to combat spam is, of course, to report it. If not,
    > just delete it.

    How about this, I'll foward every piece of spam I get to you, and you can
    take the time to foward it.
    Mistercmk, Aug 26, 2003
  19. Nick Worley

    Jimchip Guest

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:46:51 GMT, Mistercmk wrote:

    > "trout" <> wrote in message
    >> Mistercmk wrote:

    [snip]
    >> > I have done nothing different regarding e-mail, and posting, etc.
    >> > The only thing that I have been doing is bouncing the e-mails.

    >> So, sure. *You'll* see less spam in your Inbox. But it's also your
    >> overall service that will be degraded as your ISP handles higher volumes
    >> of undeliverable junk being passed back and forth, generated by
    >> 'bounce' programs. As well as the service of other innocent third
    >> parties.
    >> As there is *no* net benefit to you by bouncing, rather than just
    >> blacklisting and deleting spam; you *are part* of the spam problem. The
    >> best thing to do to combat spam is, of course, to report it. If not,
    >> just delete it.

    > How about this, I'll foward every piece of spam I get to you, and you can
    > take the time to foward it.

    Either take the time to report it yourself or just delete it- Was
    trout's statement *that* hard to understand?

    Jimchip, Aug 26, 2003
  20. Nick Worley

    Mistercmk Guest

    "Jimchip" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:46:51 GMT, Mistercmk wrote:
    > >
    > > "trout" <> wrote in message
    > >> Mistercmk wrote:

    > [snip]
    > >>
    > >> So, sure. *You'll* see less spam in your Inbox. But it's also your
    > >> overall service that will be degraded as your ISP handles higher

    volumes
    > >> of undeliverable junk being passed back and forth, generated by
    > >> 'bounce' programs. As well as the service of other innocent third
    > >> parties.
    > >> As there is *no* net benefit to you by bouncing, rather than just
    > >> blacklisting and deleting spam; you *are part* of the spam problem. The
    > >> best thing to do to combat spam is, of course, to report it. If not,
    > >> just delete it.

    > > How about this, I'll foward every piece of spam I get to you, and you

    can
    > > take the time to foward it.

    > Either take the time to report it yourself or just delete it- Was
    > trout's statement *that* hard to understand?

    You see, thats the thing. I don't want to take the time to report it. It
    is easier for me to just click bounce, and away goes the spam. If I delete
    it, I am not doing anything to combat the problem. If you have a problem
    with that, thats too damn bad.
    Mistercmk, Aug 26, 2003